Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Agree!
This is not a published rule, but it works this way with Kenya Airways. When you bid for an upgrade with cash, if accepted (…) you get the XP of the (…)
Do you get that regularly? Any trick?

While I definitely enjoyed it in the past, I had way more upgrades on KQ without any extra XP or miles either on regional or international routes (including DXB, AMS, CDG, ADD, BOM etc), through both methods (bidding online or cash at the checkin counter).

I think I got extra on one occasion only, perhaps two.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by offvoice
Do you get that regularly? Any trick?

While I definitely enjoyed it in the past, I had way more upgrades on KQ without any extra XP or miles either on regional or international routes (including DXB, AMS, CDG, ADD, BOM etc), through both methods (bidding online or cash at the checkin counter).

I think I got extra on one occasion only, perhaps two.
4 out of 4, always on regional routes and bid/paid online. However I've never tried on long haul sectors nor at airport!
Not sure if this is a loophole as a few members here also reported this "benefit".
I have 6 flights next month, i will try to upgrade some of the sectors to NBO, as i don't want to jeopardize the chances of free upgrades, often done from NBO .
Your extra XP were on which flights?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:03 pm

YVR-AMS on board A330-300 aircraft 599 EUR or 85.200 miles.

I took the cash offer.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Y to J offers at OLCI:
MPL-CDG 89€
(AF) CDG-AMS 109€

MPL-AMS 59€
Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:10 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I have an upcoming flight in PE. In the past I could see the entire seat map and when upgrades were offered right before or during OLCI I could scroll and select an upgraded seat. For some reason, my seat map only shows the 4 PE rows and nothing more. Not sure if this is because of the flight being codeshared but definitely worries me that I won’t have a chance to at least see if upgraded are offered during OLCI.

Has anyone else ran into this issue?
Old Nov 4, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I have an upcoming flight in PE. In the past I could see the entire seat map and when upgrades were offered right before or during OLCI I could scroll and select an upgraded seat. For some reason, my seat map only shows the 4 PE rows and nothing more. Not sure if this is because of the flight being codeshared but definitely worries me that I won’t have a chance to at least see if upgraded are offered during OLCI.

I saw the seat map the same way on my last PRG-CDG-PRG flights when seated in Y and with curiosity checking for upgrade.
BobTL likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
The return flight even worse ...
MEX - CDG 1400€ , lol
Old Nov 4, 2021, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SDQBound

Not sure I understand your problem. If you are before OLCI (T-30), it's normal to see only the cabin/class of travel you booked. You may see the upper class at OLCI if paid upgrades are proposed to you (or slightly before if you receive a targeted offer by email).
Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Not sure I understand your problem. If you are before OLCI (T-30), it's normal to see only the cabin/class of travel you booked. You may see the upper class at OLCI if paid upgrades are proposed to you (or slightly before if you receive a targeted offer by email).
I remember in the past I could see the entire airplane seatmap instead of the class I am booked, even if all seats were dark. So I was expecting to see the full plan / cabin layout.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
I'm flying SFO-CDG later this month. I purchased J for a trip in August when fares were lower, but the V fare in economy was too attractive to pass up for this trip. I'm prepared to fly in economy, but am looking forward to a possible upgrade to J. (Flying on Thanksgiving Day so I assume the load will be low.) Because I'm flying with a dog (traveling in the hold, not the cabin), OLCI will not be available to me. Here are my questions: (1) is it possible to seek an upgrade online at t-30 even without checking in; and (2) is it risky to wait until reaching the counter at the airport? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:11 am

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus, Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Ruby, Hilton Gold
CDG-MEX 329€ or 44.000 miles.
From Premium Economy (fare A) to Business while OFCI.

The same price for upgrade was as well as for a FlyingBlue Silver member and for an Aeroflot Gold member.
fifty_two likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Aeroflot_geek
CDG-MEX 329€ or 44.000 miles.
From Premium Economy (fare A) to Business while OFCI.
Excellent. I would have jumped on it, knowing this is a very long flight.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Weird events yesterday. I flew to JFK, booked in the business cabin. I had earlier received the check in email, but didn't look at it until I was checked in and in the lounge. Then I noticed it said I could upgrade for as low as $91.40. Upgrade to P? Or more likely a programming error sending me a business class upgrade email even though I was booked in business.

Then I took a look at the seat map for my return flight, and it showed that I could change my seat to row 1! I did so, but thought surely it must be an IT error. I know that when I booked that flight that there was a P cabin. But now checking today I can see that they swapped in a 777-200 without a P cabin. Or so it seems....
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:10 am

Programs: LH FTL, FB Gold
CDG - BEY : PE to J (208€). Never even had the offer to pay with miles. I paid my PE ticket cheaper than a Y ticket.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
Weird events yesterday. I flew to JFK, booked in the business cabin. I had earlier received the check in email, but didn't look at it until I was checked in and in the lounge. Then I noticed it said I could upgrade for as low as $91.40. Upgrade to P? Or more likely a programming error sending me a business class upgrade email even though I was booked in business.

Then I took a look at the seat map for my return flight, and it showed that I could change my seat to row 1! I did so, but thought surely it must be an IT error. I know that when I booked that flight that there was a P cabin. But now checking today I can see that they swapped in a 777-200 without a P cabin. Or so it seems....
This is a good one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.