Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Impact on transport of ongoing political disputes and strike actions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact on transport of ongoing political disputes and strike actions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:03 am
Suspended

Well it could last about 4 years until the amateur president is gone for good
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: ST FB Plat, TK *A Gold
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I also heard on the radio (RTL) that passengers had to reach the airport by foot at CDG due to blocked roads this morning (I think it was just briefly), plus there are serious concerns with the kerosene stock levels due to blocked refineries and airlines are asked to fill up at point of departure (rather than in France) where possible. This could work with short haul flights only or a long haul flight would need to make a technical stop nearby to fill up.

So keep monitoring the news and be ready for last minute changes. Arrive early (or spend the last night near the airport) to be safe.

Can a mod please rename this thread to ongoing political disputes impacting French transports (or something similar) as this doesnt look like it will end anytime soon.
We flew into CDG last night, stayed in a nearby hotel and continued our journey on AF this morning - absolutely no delays or problems to report.
Uber was there 2 minutes after I booked it and all the roads leading to the airport were open. No barricades, police or long lines at the airport either, very normal situation in the lounge.

My suggestion is - don't worry if you're flying from/to/via CDG, looks like they have everything under control there.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 1:15 pm

Glad you're fine. Some others are not. Thanks for the suggestion not to worry.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 3:11 am

Programs: ST FB Plat, TK *A Gold
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
Glad you're fine. Some others are not. Thanks for the suggestion not to worry.
Don't see how your comment adds any value to the discussion here. I merely suggested for people not to panic (based on what I saw the last week) and not to change their whole vacation / work travel plans just to avoid flying to CDG.
Could be that the situation is worse in other French airports and could be that we were very lucky, but it doesn't change the point.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 3:24 am

Programs: FB Gold
There are indeed disruptions at other airports in France, that are ongoing even today. So while it's not the end of the world, it's what I call "mildly disruptive", but we learn to live with it.

Old Mar 24, 2023, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by diesel7
Don't see how your comment adds any value to the discussion here. I merely suggested for people not to panic (based on what I saw the last week) and not to change their whole vacation / work travel plans just to avoid flying to CDG.
Could be that the situation is worse in other French airports and could be that we were very lucky, but it doesn't change the point.
Your earlier statement was different from "not to panic" but rather "not to worry and they have everything under control".
My son just flew from CDG and it was far from "under control".
Old Mar 24, 2023, 5:30 am
Suspended

French aviation authority DGAC is asking Air France to cancel 30% of flights from/to ORY this weekend and a new strike day is officially planned for March 28th.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by brunos
Your earlier statement was different from "not to panic" but rather "not to worry and they have everything under control".
My son just flew from CDG and it was far from "under control".
Hi Brunos,
Can you share a bit more about what your son experienced? Flying myself quite a bit these days to/from Paris, and so does the family, so I'd love to hear first hand accounts.

Thanks
Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
I had a flight ex-CDG yesterday on AF. Terminal 2 seemed fine but upon arriving at the airport, there were indeed cars making u-turns on the ramp to T1, and passengers walking on the road with their luggage. That was around 11am. No issue at T2E, though PAF was really crowded (15 min with SP, and I would assume > 45 min non-SP) but I dont think that related to the strike. Just overall understaff booths as its often the case.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: LH, SQ, CO, AA
As a single data point, I flew this week on Tuesday March 21 from ZRH to CDG with 4 hours in the LP lounge prior to my AF 54 flight to IAD. Everything was on time with no delays, though the AF employees were certainly troubled by all of the issues in the country.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: Accor, Hilton, Marriott, Radisson Gold; Aeroplan 35K
Wow, more strikes coming – but AF is committed to running all the flights to/from CDG. I guess Macron is really playing hardball here, eh?

National call for strike action from 24 to 29 March, 2023

Updated: March 24, 2023 7 : 30 PM Paris local time
The French Civil Aviation Authority (DGAC) has asked all airlines to reduce their flight schedules to and from Paris Orly and certain French airports from March 24 to 29, 2023 as part of the national strike action in France.

For these days, Air France plans to operate :
  • all its long-haul flights,
  • all its flights to and from Paris-Charles de Gaulle,
  • nearly 8 out of 10 flights between Paris-Orly and certain French airports.
Delays and last-minute cancellations cannot be ruled out. The flight schedule is up to date until March 27 and is being updated for the following days. Customers affected by cancel flight will be notified individually by SMS, e mail or via the Air France application.

Commercial measures can be consulted below allowing customers to anticipate or postpone their trip free of charge. For customers whose flight is cancelled, a voucher or a full refund will be offered in the event that they no longer travel. Air France regrets this situation and is doing everuthing possible to limit the impact on its customers.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Was at CDG March 25 2023 yesterday. Transfer from 2F to 2EM, the line to get past passport control snaked all the way from terminal to terminal. I would say the line was as long as two football fields. Line did move fast though.Took approx 45 minutes. I had a 5 hour long layover so was not worried about missing my flight.

Security would not allow people with close Dep times to cut queue. Most people were quite understanding if someone cut queue if they had a close rep time. The ones that I had an issue with were the one that cut without asking.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

I see there is a new "general strike" on April 13 now. I'm connecting via CDG on that day (Apr 12 US to CDG Apr 13 on to Italy). Is there anything I should do?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by david22
I see there is a new "general strike" on April 13 now. I'm connecting via CDG on that day (Apr 12 US to CDG Apr 13 on to Italy). Is there anything I should do?
CDG has been fine during the previous strikes, mainly ORY (in Paris) was affected - and still, not by a lot. Its hard to foresee the exact impact of that next strike in advance, but if the previous ones are any indication, you should be fine. If youre posting here Ill assume you fly AF: all flights to and from CDG were operating as usual with AF during the previous strikes. Expect perhaps a longer than usual time to clear custom, but I believe itll likely be the only hurdle in your journey.
david22 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The strike on 13 April should have minimal impact on airlines.
DGAC indicated that traffic at CDG and ORY should not be affected. Only requesting 20% reduction at BOD, TLS and NTE.
https://www.lemonde.fr/politique/art...16_823448.html
david22 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.