Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

Impact on transport of ongoing political disputes and strike actions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact on transport of ongoing political disputes and strike actions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2023, 6:06 am

Programs: FB Plat
Information published on Eurocontrol NOP:

A call for ATC Industrial action in France has been issued by DSNA Unions representing around 70% of ATCOs, from 0500 UTC on the 15th of September until 0500 UTC on the 16th of September. If the call for industrial action would be confirmed:
  • Minimum service will be implemented on all ACCs and 16 APP
  • Flight reduction programs on airports where DSNA is operated are still under discussions and will be finalized on Monday or Tuesday
NOTAM will follow.
NM teleconference is foreseen for Thursday, 14th of September at 1330 UTC.
gojko88 and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 1:13 am

Programs: FlyingBlue, Qantas, Turkish
Without trying to sound dumb, would somebody be able to tell me what the abbreviations stand for?
- ACC
- APP
- DSNA
- NM teleconference

I'm great with airport codes, but this is too obscure for me.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 4:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by eljakim
Without trying to sound dumb, would somebody be able to tell me what the abbreviations stand for?
- ACC
- APP
- DSNA
- NM teleconference

I'm great with airport codes, but this is too obscure for me.
ACC: area control center
APP: Approach
DSNA: direction des services de la Navigation arienne
NM: New Mexico /s . I have no idea but I'd guess News Meda conference?

Source for the others
eljakim and gojko88 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 7:08 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thanks for the update. Does CDG fall under DSNA, meaning we would expect reductions rather then 'minimum serivce'? From the sound of it the 16 smaller airports would see little to no traffic in the time period mentioned.

Edit:
NM seems to stand for Network Manager, I suspect a group within Eurocontrol.

Last edited by Xandrios; Sep 11, 2023 at 7:19 am
Old Sep 11, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
While it doesn't impact air travel, there's a planned strike with SNCF (trains) on Tuesday Sept 26. It could impact you if you plan to take a train before or after your flight or have one of those AF "TGV+Air" tickets. Details on impacted trains will be communicated 1-2 days in advance.
Source (in French): https://www.cheminotcgt.fr/wp-conten..._Septembre.pdf
Old Sep 11, 2023, 6:55 pm

So I have a flight (on United) from IAD to CDG - leaving 11 pm (Eastern US time) which is 5 am Setp 16th Paris time - on the 15th - assuming my plane gets to IAD as planned - what are the odds this strike will affect my flight?
Old Sep 12, 2023, 1:06 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Scotttyd
So I have a flight (on United) from IAD to CDG - leaving 11 pm (Eastern US time) which is 5 am Setp 16th Paris time - on the 15th - assuming my plane gets to IAD as planned - what are the odds this strike will affect my flight?
Practically no risk of impact. As mentioned, long haul operations at Roissy are prioritised, and in the past even during higher-profile social movements, there were few impacts.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FT, HHonors Diamond
Good news, there will be no ATC strike on Friday (09/15/23). It has been called off by the trade union (SNCTA) after reaching an agreement with the French government (DGAC).
https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/entre...309120505.html (sorry, in French)

Last edited by petitaix; Sep 12, 2023 at 8:54 am
Old Sep 12, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for sharing!
petitaix and gojko88 like this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:17 am

The DGAC just announced that due to a social movement this Friday (13/10), 40% of flights at ORY and 20% of flights at MRS will be cancelled. Plan accordingly.

https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/entre...310090662.html
Old Oct 13, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by mlin32
The DGAC just announced that due to a social movement this Friday (13/10), 40% of flights at ORY and 20% of flights at MRS will be cancelled. Plan accordingly.

https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/entre...310090662.html
Unfortunately MRS hit me bad. 20% cancellations did not look like the end of the world and I got a mail with a minor rescheduling, with other flights pro-actively being cancelled, some days ago -> seemed survivable. But I face now a 6 hour delay for sure already, if it is not getting worse. A next time indeed in such situations I better reschedule things if the ticket allows. On the plus side I found a seat with one of the scarce electricity plugs here and got loads of work done ;-)
Old Nov 16, 2023, 8:17 am

Heads up : a strike by minority unions planned for 20/11.

25% reduction of flights at Paris-Orly and TLS
20% reduction of flights at BOD and MRS.

The topic at issue : potentially fewer/reduced strike impacts in the future, as the DGAC wants to mandate that individuals who plan to participate in a strike, to notify of their intent to participate. Currently, individuals don't need to inform of his/her intent to participate in a strike, and thus the DGAC has been erring on the side of caution in mandating flight reductions, assuming everyone in a striking union will participate.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 3:47 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by mlin32
Heads up : a strike by minority unions planned for 20/11.

25% reduction of flights at Paris-Orly and TLS
20% reduction of flights at BOD and MRS.

The topic at issue : potentially fewer/reduced strike impacts in the future, as the DGAC wants to mandate that individuals who plan to participate in a strike, to notify of their intent to participate. Currently, individuals don't need to inform of his/her intent to participate in a strike, and thus the DGAC has been erring on the side of caution in mandating flight reductions, assuming everyone in a striking union will participate.
CGT, FO and UNSA have their baroud dhonneur but the bill is ready. So many cancellations for the 20NOV minority strike are actually the best example that a change is much needed.

Given that only Nupes is against the reform, theres a good chance its finally going to be implemented. Lets see how it goes on Dec 12th with the Conseil dEtat !
Old Nov 17, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by maalloc
CGT, FO and UNSA have their baroud dhonneur but the bill is ready. So many cancellations for the 20NOV minority strike are actually the best example that a change is much needed.
Ut why are they against it? Nobody takes away their right to strike. Or is their explicit objective to interrupt as many peoples lives as possible?

Given that only Nupes is against the reform, theres a good chance its finally going to be implemented. Lets see how it goes on Dec 12th with the Conseil dEtat !
Nupes. Those guys again. Many (not all) of them have a tendency to find themselves on the wrong side of history on so many occasions. What is their reason to be against the law? Or is it a Pavlovian reflex to be against anything and everything that comes from the government?
Old Nov 17, 2023, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Ut why are they against it? Nobody takes away their right to strike. Or is their explicit objective to interrupt as many peoples lives as possible?
Well, the whole point of a strike is to be disruptive. If a strike does not disrupt anybody, it is pretty pointless, is it not? From that perspective, it is not difficult to understand why Unions would generally not be favourable to any change that makes strikes less effective. Also, the requirement for an individual declaration in advance of strike action is highly unusual in strike regulation, at any rate in democracies that fully recognise the right to strike. Even in the UK, which probably has the most restrictive regulatory framework for striking in Europe, there is no such requirement. That said, this is something that already exists in France for rail workers and the peculiarity of French industrial relations makes comparisons with elsewhere fraught with difficulties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.