Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On Board Service Changes - Corona

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Reno1979
The second FA came back and told me I "had to move" to give the "crew some room to relax".
773s have a crew rest area for that purpose.

Johan
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Then they may want to consider nursing as a profession. Or volunteering to assist nursing home staff, now that they are mostly sitting around at home instead of flying.

Johan
And they could lie down in empty hospital beds and eat the food meant for patients!
the810 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Looking at it from the crew's perspective, many of them will have loved ones at home with underlying health conditions, which creates a lot of stress about flying. I think we need to show appreciation for the fact they are showing up to serve us. I don't envy the position they are in.
obscure2k and greggyfroggy like this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Looking at it from the crew's perspective, many of them will have loved ones at home with underlying health conditions, which creates a lot of stress about flying. I think we need to show appreciation for the fact they are showing up to serve us. I don't envy the position they are in.
The passengers are in the same position. But if you are going to do your job, do your job. If you are incapable, then let your boss know and I'm sure they will find a solution for you.
the810 and saraoutou like this.
Old May 9, 2020, 2:04 am

New update from KLM today. This is simply unbelievable... no more hot food on the JFK-AMS / AMS-JFK route (below 9 hrs), not even in Business class. Also no food or drinks in the lounge. If you consider that most restaurants and food outlets in the airport are closed, that basically means that someone with a connection may have to go 14 hours or so without anything to eat apart from the snack box they provide you.

Simplified onboard catering service
The following measures have been taken to limit physical contact between yourself and our cabin crew:
• On intercontinental flights, all passengers will be offered the same simplified catering. You will find a bag containing snacks, fruit and drinks on your seat when you board the aircraft. A hot meal can only be served on flights longer than 9 hours.
• On European flights, you will find a box containing a sandwich, a cup of water and a biscuit on your seat.
• We regret you cannot order any special meals at this time.
• Also our drinks service has been simplified; we will only be able to offer you water or soft drinks.
• Of course, you are most welcome to bring your own snacks. Please note that food & beverage shops on some airports may be closed.
I can understand scaling back the offerings to save money a little bit (e.g. no longer serving alcohol in the lounge). But I think it's a horrible move to no longer offer real food on flights as long as 8h30. Especially when a ticket in Business for JFK-AMS round trip is $5,500. The worst thing of all is failing to admit that all of this is primarily a cost saving measure. The final note in the e-mail reads
It goes without saying that we will resume our normal service as soon as the situation allows
I personally don't see how the "situation" allows flight attendants to serve everyone water and soft drinks but not miniature bottles of spirits or cans of beer.
Old May 9, 2020, 3:37 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Delta is still offering meals and drinks in all classes on long haul. You must be out of your mind to fly AF or KL now.
the810 likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by NLNO
Delta is still offering meals and drinks in all classes on long haul. You must be out of your mind to fly AF or KL now.
Yes, and that’s one of the reasons I am flying DL longhaul. However, the drinks selection and food offering is already reduced - I really hope DL doesn’t follow KL’s concept. Domestic flights including JFK-LAX are already without real meals and drinks in all classes.
Old May 9, 2020, 5:52 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by johan rebel
773s have a crew rest area for that purpose.

Johan
Isn't it too cramped given the new distance requirements? I would understand the need for the flight attendants to sleep in the business cabin if that is the case.
obscure2k likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31
Isn't it too cramped given the new distance requirements? I would understand the need for the flight attendants to sleep in the business cabin if that is the case.
And not to forget the need for economy passengers to sleep in the business cabin if the distance back there is too little.
ijgordon and the810 like this.
Old May 9, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by David7
New update from KLM today. This is simply unbelievable... no more hot food on the JFK-AMS / AMS-JFK route (below 9 hrs), not even in Business class. Also no food or drinks in the lounge. If you consider that most restaurants and food outlets in the airport are closed, that basically means that someone with a connection may have to go 14 hours or so without anything to eat apart from the snack box they provide you.
Is this true for AF?
Old May 9, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
I'd like some of the catering to move to an option of wrapped 'luxury' sandwiches. There are some truly A++ sandos out there, and of course, this isn't to compare them a hot meal, but if there was an effort to go to options that are easy to distribute, have a bit of shelf life, are super tasty ... with some good chips, and a good vintage,. You know, for now, it'd be fine.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by David7
New update from KLM today. This is simply unbelievable... no more hot food on the JFK-AMS / AMS-JFK route (below 9 hrs), not even in Business class.
And the wheel turns full circle!

The likes of Pan Am and TWA once complained bitterly that KLM was spoiling its Economy Class passengers (and breaking IATA rules) by offering them "sumptuous" cold sandwiches on their transatlantic flights...

Time Magazine: The Great Sandwich War of 1958

(It seems the US carriers have a long history of complaining!!!)
Solevita likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:02 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Several off-topic comments, some of which were of a personal nature, have been removed. Please remain on focus. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
Air France/KLM co-moderator

Last edited by JOUY31; May 13, 2020 at 1:06 pm
Old May 16, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by GeminisTwin
Is this true for AF?

Wasn’t the plan for KLM to be the low-cost/value brand and Air France to be the premium brand? Seems like a perfect opportunity to put that in to practice! 😄
Old May 16, 2020, 6:47 am

So could anyone from the AF/KL fanatics tell me, if AF First is still being sold? Are the lounge and premium services onboard closed or reduced to eco standards???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.