Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
First to the OP, the Halifax "hard landing" didn't miss the runway, it ended up on the runway.... eventually.
Yes it "<missed> the runway" in every meaningful sense of the term when it comes to an aircraft landing. I might have given credit for reaching the runway if it had done so using intact landing gear rather than skidding along the ground before climbing an embankment on its belly to reach the runway.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think "nearly loses" is a bit of an overstatement.
Not really. This plane will fly again. Unlike the one they wrote off in Halifax after its "hard landing."

That said, having a plane touch down on pavement, careen through some grass then (luckily) wind up on a tarmac doesn't exactly constitute a textbook landing either, does it?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
First to the OP, the Halifax "hard landing" didn't miss the runway, it ended up on the runway.... eventually.
This is true, the plane did eventually skid to a halt on the runway. Pity it had to first plow through a field, take out a fence and wrap itself around some landing lights on its path to the piano keys.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by After Burner
Disregard. I was looking at the wrong date.
Ok good because I am 100% on the arrival time of 0002 local
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Possible frozen brake on landing and or a steering fault, remember America West at LA where the nose gear went 90 degrees. The good news no one hurt, airplane will fly again, pax will be taken care of...I think!!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by james dean
Possible frozen brake on landing and or a steering fault, remember America West at LA where the nose gear went 90 degrees. The good news no one hurt, airplane will fly again, pax will be taken care of...I think!!

That was JetBlue in 2005 and I remember the pax onboard were not sure what to think as JetBlue had TV and they were watching their own event live on CNN.

http://www.airlinesafety.com/editorials/JetBlueLAX.htm

And This landing was just awesome to watch, with the pilot keeping that nose up for as long as possible

Attached Images  
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Those lucky passengers will get to look forward to an excellent coupon for a discount off the base fare for their next purchase on Air Canada.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by 24left
That was JetBlue in 2005 and I remember the pax onboard were not sure what to think as JetBlue had TV and they were watching their own event live on CNN.

And This landing was just awesome to watch, with the pilot keeping that nose up for as long as possible

JetBlue Landing Gear Failure at LAX [HD][Part 2] - YouTube
Thanx for the correction, yes it was Jet Blue, I don't know where America West came from
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:22 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left

[/url]
I do remember this, I was watching it on Live news at the time.

The kind of incident Air Canada encountered in Toronto today is taken into account by Jacdec and each of these incidents for all airlines are well detailed in their safety report.

http://www.jacdec.de/airline-safety-ranking-2017/
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Were you working at the time?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

And Flightradar24 playback for AC 623

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...ac623/#c90599e

Attached Images  
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Were you working at the time?
No. I was home sleeping. I saw the aircraft still surrounded by maintenance and fire trucks when I got to work around 4:15am.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by keitherson
Those lucky passengers will get to look forward to an excellent coupon for a discount off the base fare for their next purchase on Air Canada.
I don't think AC compensates for weather issues. That would cheapen the brand.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:52 am
Original Member

What I can't figure out is why a plane flying between Halifax and Toronto is in Winnipeg.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by KenHamer
What I can't figure out is why a plane flying between Halifax and Toronto is in Winnipeg.
It just scared the folks near Winnipeg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.