Community
Wiki Posts
Search

enRoute magazine

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

enRoute magazine

Hi. My name is Arjun Basu, Editor in Chief of enRoute magazine. I'm going to check in from time to time on this thread - I want to use you as a kind of "focus group" of sorts. Tell me what you like about the magazine, what you dislike - what you hate! - and what you'd like to see in the future. Please don't hold back! You can ask me questions directly as well - I will try to answer everything. This is not a trick. Honest. Fire away...I look forward to your thoughts. One more thing: I love Flyertalk. You are some of the most entertaining folk around. I learn much from these forums. So remember - I am writing as the editor of the magazine. But I'm a traveller, too.

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: AC MM
Welcome to FT!

I think you will have no trouble finding suggestions and material to use from the members here. Definitely a great idea!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Please don't hold back! Man, have you come to the right place. Welcome! ^ ^
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:00 pm

I like the AC fleet section and would like to see a FULL fleet instead of just 75% of the planes. The "Ask the Pilot" page in the March version was also very appealing to me as I like aviation. I don't recall seeing it in any other issues but would definetly like to see it as a normal part of the magazine.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
About the only part of En Route that I ever look at are the route maps.
Just be sure never to cut them out.

It would be helpful if they showed actual routings, rather than stylized ones.
For example, YYZ-HKG now goes over the pole and down through Russia and
China, and never actually crosses the Pacific ( as shown in your map).
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ

It would be helpful if they showed actual routings, rather than stylized ones.
For example, YYZ-HKG now goes over the pole and down through Russia and
China, and never actually crosses the Pacific ( as shown in your map).
I don't think the average flyer knows or cares where and what the plane flies over.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE (*A Gold), SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
How about some consistency w/ the audio/visual guides?

I can't seem to ever find those red books in the seat pocket anymore.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Welcome, Arjun!

Every time I fly AC, I make sure that read the EnRoute and very often take a copy with me to distribute further, often by mail to PRG.

The magazine is very good and interesting reading overall, something for everyone and that is not easy.

Now that I know that you would be visiting here, I will post the comments on EnRoute here as well.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: *G (as are spouse and 2 kids), ACCOR ALL DIAMOND, Marriott - GE
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
I don't think the average flyer knows or cares where and what the plane flies over.
Depends who you think enRoute's audience is ...

BTW, welcome Arjun! And I do like looking at the route maps .. as well as reading the fact file section of specific things relating to AirCanada.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:39 pm
exAC

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
...For example, YYZ-HKG now goes over the pole and down through Russia and China, and never actually crosses the Pacific ( as shown in your map).
Not always. The China/Russia route is VERRRY expensive and is only used if it saves a lot of time. HKG-YYZ often stays away from China/Russia and follows the prevailing jet-stream.

Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:39 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
I also like the route maps and especially the fleet...And I think the Fleet section could be expanded and more detailed.

How about a detailed cockpit picture and legend of all the systems?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold, AF Plat and other minors
Hi,

Firstly, Enroute is the best in-flight magazine in the sky. LH is really bad, AF is too much ads, ANZ is ok, Qantas not good.

Few things keep Enroute above the others as Ads are not too aggressive and well usually integrated, it is well written, and French translation are always high quality.

I have always the same "ritual" to read Enroute:

Very good:
1. Map (and looking if new destinations are included)
2. Letter from the Editor
3. Dialogue
4. Ask the pilot (should be longer article)
5. Fleet (should be all fleets)
5.1 Save space, Joe Traveller don't need lenght and height, wingspan (useless info for normal traveler), you have a occasion to be more customer friendly with more green info as CO2 emission, fuel burn per passenger, or # of crew etc...Be creative, less technical. Joe Traveller isnt a pilot.
6. Looking back: always interesting.
7. Itinerary: Always good choice of hotels and resto.
8. Flash: Very interesting
9. Jet Set: nice.

Ok:
10. Articles are good to very good.
11. Calendar: As you read the Calendar section, it is a bit too late to plan trip to the destination.

Very boring:
12. Literary section (p.115 March).
Something is wrong with that section. Even if I read a lot, I never felt that I should read that section. I think it is more about the pictures or graph.

To be removed:
Advertising of Dr. Chester L. Karras. It drives me crazy. I can't see his picture.

aad665
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I wish that some of the audio-visual material that was removed from EnRoute was added back in. As noted in an earlier post, those AV guides are hard to come by . . .

I like the edgier articles and off-beat travel pieces that appear from time to time. Not sure the advertisers do but it makes for more interesting reading than the National Post!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by enRouter
Hi. My name is Arjun Basu, Editor in Chief of enRoute magazine. I'm going to check in from time to time on this thread - I want to use you as a kind of "focus group" of sorts. Tell me what you like about the magazine, what you dislike - what you hate! - and what you'd like to see in the future. Please don't hold back! You can ask me questions directly as well - I will try to answer everything. This is not a trick. Honest. Fire away...I look forward to your thoughts. One more thing: I love Flyertalk. You are some of the most entertaining folk around. I learn much from these forums. So remember - I am writing as the editor of the magazine. But I'm a traveller, too.

Thanks!

Welcome, Arjun, to FT. Good of you to come out of the closet, so-to-speak!

As a not-so-seasoned FT'er, I do enjoy my time on this board although most of my posts are related to labour relations questions. That notwithstanding, your willingness to pick the brains of the various 'characters' here is admirable.

Please fell free to contact me at any time, about any issue, that may intrest you.

(negotiator)

Suggestion: Why don't you do a story about this board and the vast community of travel affectionatos that have emerged from it?

Last edited by negotiator; Mar 20, 2006 at 7:43 pm
Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:48 pm
At Large

Welcome aboard,

I'm not sure this is in your bailiwick but the magazine and in flight entertainment are very seldom in sync for the first week of every month.

I agree that the maps are something interesting I look at on almost every flight. It might even, if possible, be nice to have route maps more accurate, although when they show it on the IFE it is pretty interesting also.

Articles are generally interesting as well. Maybe a guest column/interview from FF'ers might also be something of interest to readers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.