Community
Wiki Posts
Search

enRoute magazine

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2006, 3:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by parnel
Maybe a guest column/interview from FF'ers might also be something of interest to readers.
A very good suggestion!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:13 pm

Welcome aboard,

I'm not sure this is in your bailiwick but the magazine and in flight entertainment are very seldom in sync for the first week of every month.
This occurs because the crews that are tasked with changing the seat-pocket literature at the beginning of each month are the same crews that are doing the grooming. No extra manpower is assigned and no extra time is allocated to complete this task. Each box of magazines weighs about 20lbs and holds approx 30 Enroutes. It is not that difficult on a RJ or EMB, but on widebodies it can add as much as 20-30 minutes to the turn time. When it comes down to an on-time departure or holding for new enroutes guess which wins? For acft that are overnighting at a main AC base it is a little easier, but manpower and time constraints are still an issue. It's been an ongoing problem for as long as I can remember.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:23 pm

I always enjoy reading enRoute in-flight...

I am always interested in your city profiles as in what to do and what to see. Where to shop and restaurants to check out.. I have eaten at some suggested restaurants and have never been disappointed. ^

I'd like to see more features about Canadian Designers from fashion to architecture, along with interviews with Canadian celebrities.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:27 pm
At Large

Originally Posted by Cargoagent
This occurs because the crews that are tasked with changing the seat-pocket literature at the beginning of each month are the same crews that are doing the grooming. No extra manpower is assigned and no extra time is allocated to complete this task. Each box of magazines weighs about 20lbs and holds approx 30 Enroutes. It is not that difficult on a RJ or EMB, but on widebodies it can add as much as 20-30 minutes to the turn time. When it comes down to an on-time departure or holding for new enroutes guess which wins? For acft that are overnighting at a main AC base it is a little easier, but manpower and time constraints are still an issue. It's been an ongoing problem for as long as I can remember.
Maybe AC should outsource it and make the enroute people responsible for getting both the IFE and the magazine on board at the same time. Of course the unions would whine again.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:29 pm
RTR

Programs: hilton honours, spg
Originally Posted by negotiator
Suggestion: Why don't you do a story about the board and the vast community of travel affectionatos that have emerged from it?
This is a great idea! Hope to see that in a future en-route!!!!

RTR
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT.......

Interviews with customers......(other than parnel as he is an apologist )!

Behind the scenes look of ACE and group companies, and employees. For example a look at the SOC centre or maitenance of an aircraft.

A look at the forth-coming re-fit of the airfleet. A day by day look at the gutting of a 763 and it's re-build.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:38 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The annual round up of the best tables in Canada is a winner, but you already knew that. I can't say I agree with all the choices, but I do enjoy finding out about new places across Canada. The Mary Gostlow report is also very interesting....
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by aad665
Firstly, Enroute is the best in-flight magazine in the sky...aad665
Very true.

Originally Posted by aad665
Very boring:
12. Literary section
I can't agree with that. Whenever I've sneaked off with a copy of En Route it's been because of the quality of the fiction.

As an anglophone who is only semi-literate in french, I also really appreciate the bilingual aspect of the magazine, which provides me with a useful monthly exposure to idiom.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 4:46 pm

Maybe AC should outsource it and make the enroute people responsible for getting both the IFE and the magazine on board at the same time. Of course the unions would whine again.
I expected that kind of a response from you. ^ Where did I say that those crews did not want to do the job? They would just like to be given the time and tools to do it as required. Would you be willing to take a 30 minute delay on 856 on April 1st because that acft needed new Enroutes? If so, please let AC know as they are not willing to take that delay.

Outsourcing is not going to reduce costs as those crews are still going to be grooming as they have been. If AC can outsource it and get it done for free go for it, otherwise it is an added cost. As I said, this has been an ongoing problem for over 15 years, AC has made the choice on what is the priority.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:33 pm
At Large

Originally Posted by Cargoagent
I expected that kind of a response from you. ^ Where did I say that those crews did not want to do the job? They would just like to be given the time and tools to do it as required. Would you be willing to take a 30 minute delay on 856 on April 1st because that acft needed new Enroutes? If so, please let AC know as they are not willing to take that delay.

Outsourcing is not going to reduce costs as those crews are still going to be grooming as they have been. If AC can outsource it and get it done for free go for it, otherwise it is an added cost. As I said, this has been an ongoing problem for over 15 years, AC has made the choice on what is the priority.
Well, if its been a problem for 15 years then its time someone gets off their fat a$$ and does something. I think outsourcing and making one contractor responsible for that activity would not cost that much as AC could displace some more lazy union people. No matter that you think there is no cost. There is, when customers are not happy.
In fact I would bet that someone sat down and did the old efficiency study they would probably realize they could save some money by outsourcing that magazine and IFE as a turnkey deal. The entertainment people and the magazine could join forces at the delivery point.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 5:52 pm

Programs: Airmiles; Aeroplan; TripRewards; Best Western GCC
Hello, and welcome to the boards.

I love the Mag!
I've got a bit of a question for you... What will be in the next issue (April) of enRoute? I'm not sure if you're allowed to reveal that, but I'm getting very curious as I'm taking four flights with Air Canada.

I'd also like to congratulate you on the sucessful magazine! ^

Regards,

Canada Flyer
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC*E
Greetings Arjun and welcome.

I'm a fan of enRoute and agree with many of the comments already provided.

What I like about the magazine is that it always seems to have a real nice 'freshness' to it (well at least for the first few flights ). I seem to always be refering to many of the regular items, like the fleet page and maps (with more detail pls.), plus I also like letter from the editor, dialogue and the city reviews.

I'm not too crazy about the short stories but I really like the suggestions of the other FT'rs on interviews with Canadian stars and adding more detail in the magazine on the inflight entertainment.

Nice of you to ask us about this, keep up the good work!

Cheers. Skyman
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:25 pm

Perhaps an article on what is involved with grooming an a/c and how long it really takes would be an eyeopener for many. Also, talk about how when the inbound a/c is late that the deadlines for turnarounds take priority over magazine replacement and you might have some understanding customers instead of upset customers. Besides, most leisure travelers aren't on airplanes every month so if they see Feb in the first week of March it probably isn't that big a deal anyways
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by enRouter
Hi. My name is Arjun Basu, Editor in Chief of enRoute magazine. I'm going to check in from time to time on this thread - I want to use you as a kind of "focus group" of sorts. Tell me what you like about the magazine, what you dislike - what you hate! - and what you'd like to see in the future. Please don't hold back! You can ask me questions directly as well - I will try to answer everything. This is not a trick. Honest. Fire away...I look forward to your thoughts. One more thing: I love Flyertalk. You are some of the most entertaining folk around. I learn much from these forums. So remember - I am writing as the editor of the magazine. But I'm a traveller, too.

Thanks!
Arjun -- you have cool glasses

Can you please put the airport maps back into the mag?
In 2004 when I read an article on SCL, it compelled me to fly there just to check it out, which I did. Any more articles on South American destinations coming out?

I like how enRoute has a Wallpaper-ish look and feel to it. Very chic.

Keep up the good work!
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:30 pm

Well, if its been a problem for 15 years then its time someone gets off their fat a$$ and does something. I think outsourcing and making one contractor responsible for that activity would not cost that much as AC could displace some more lazy union people. No matter that you think there is no cost. There is, when customers are not happy.
In fact I would bet that someone sat down and did the old efficiency study they would probably realize they could save some money by outsourcing that magazine and IFE as a turnkey deal. The entertainment people and the magazine could join forces at the delivery point.
Parnel, as much as you like to blame everything that goes wrong at AC on the folks in the unions, it isn't always their fault. I've explained what happens and I agree someone should get off their fat a$$, but that person doesn't belong to any union. Rant at the unions all day and night if it makes you feel better. ^ It isn't the groomers that set the priorities on what gets done in the time allowed with the manpower available.

Enough of taking this thread off topic, how about we let the thread get back to the subject the OP intended? ^ We can always debate it in another thread another time. ^

Last edited by Cargoagent; Mar 20, 2006 at 6:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.