Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2024 Elite Packages Arriving [75K packages may be sent in error]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
As of January 28, 2024
As of April 10, 2024

Where's My Package?
For those who have come to this thread for information on receiving your 2024 packages in the mail, AC is still sending them out. Yes, consistently inconsistent, and competently incompetent.
There is no change in the design of the luggage tags or membership card. The only new item is a keychain card (see below for a picture).

Stop your whining about having physical cards
Just because YOU have NEVER been asked to furnish a physical card doesn't mean that nobody needs a physical card. Also, just because YOU can't think of a reason, doesn't mean that there is no reason. This has been an ongoing, pedantic, and incessant dialogue in this forum for years. If you've never been asked for your card, you probably haven't flown enough, especially on other *A airlines in other parts of the world. SO STOP IT.

The Great 75K Debacle of 2024 tl;dr (if you're rolling your eyes, relax; this is tongue in cheek)

For those who believe that they received a 75K package in error, here's the tl;dr version (this thread is a painful read, so read the entire thread if you're a masochist like me (yyznomad)):
  • Check your online account and the AC App - if it shows you're 75K even though you expected to reflect a lower status level, then 75K is yours for 2024!
  • Unofficial reports: AC acknowledging their mistake in sending out 75K packages to those who were 75K in 2023 but didn't requalify for 75K in 2024
  • Unofficial reports: AC confirming that they are allowing these mistake 75Ks to keep 75K status for 2024.
  • Those who fall in the above cohort have confirmed that their online status shows as 75K and were provided with 75K benefit selections, so although we haven't had any official proof from AC, the reported evidence is mounting...
  • Others have reported being lower than 75K in 2023 but still getting a bump to 75K for 2024. There may be other reasons for this that are not necessarily related to the aforementioned "mistake" 75K debacle:
    • For example, you may have been near the 75K threshold in at least one of the *QM categories in 2023, and AC gave you a freebie bump up (this would be status quo to prior years, so nothing new)
  • There are reports of account glitches where one gets to choose benefits twice and have "doubled up" on benefits, such as eUps. This may or may not be related to the aforementioned mistake 75K debacle.
  • Conjecture: Based on the anecdotal evidence so far, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that AC just gave more bump ups to 75K because they couldn't contain or fix the original mistake-75K issue properly.

2024 Keychain Card
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
They are just a keychain.

the backside of the keychain has
- Ones Aeroplan Number
- Expiry Month/Year
- First name initial and Last Name
- Barcode

*This photo is sponsored by the Inclusion for All 75K Advocacy Group 🤝

Print Wikipost

2024 Elite Packages Arriving [75K packages may be sent in error]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan unknown
Originally Posted by AdmiralBenson

Case in point: this thread, were AC to have just updated people to their earned status, would have already been over with.
This is a good point. If they had not done the extend Your status CC spend offer(that I was not chosen for). I would have gone merrily on my way and completed a YYC-YVR and YYC-YYZ trips on AC and ended the Year a happy 50k elite member( not thinking twice about my previous 75k status). But because I was upset at not getting the CC spend offer. I completed those two trips on WJ and cut my TD AC IP Visa Card to zero by switching to a WJ MC. Hence securing my spot as a 35k elite member. I am sure I am not the only spoiled sport here.
AdmiralBenson likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:19 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by D404
From what I gathered, it was every person who was 75K last year but dropped this year (i.e. they accidentally used last year's list)? If that's it, that could be quite substantial.
I think youre right. Has anyone posted here that was 75k last year not been boosted back to 75k this year regardless of what they earned? I havent seen anyone.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan unknown
BTW, I predict that Aeroplan may come out with one last slap in the face to all of You Who earned SE organically. A bump Your status offer for buying points. I think remember this promo from late 2020 during the Covid situation? Think of all those newly minted SE's

...and I am just joking by the way.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
So I have an interesting sidebar to this story - both my mom and I are long-term Super Elites (since 2009 or so). My mom got a package in April 2023 congratulating her on requalifying for SE100K, with a card expiring Dec 2024. I didn't. Therefore: I continued to earn and spend on AC enough to get SE100K for 2024, while for my mum we used points and other airlines since she had already requalified (honestly, I was surprised, but with so many promos, weird extensions and waivers in the past years I shrugged it off as perfectly plausible). She ended up just under 9K spend and well over 100K flown (about 160K, counting rollover from 2022). I got my SE100K, she's down to E50K (1MM lifetime/what she earned). Now I'm going have to use the precendent AC has created with the E75K debacle to help her keep SE100K (though honestly I think her case is way, way stronger than those with E75K cards mailed at the end of the year). Good luck finding the right person to contact at AC, though.

And just for proof, her (already well-used) card which came in April 2023:

Last edited by jlisi984; Jan 8, 2024 at 7:02 pm
Old Jan 8, 2024, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC 75k, Bonvoy Titan, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I am in the exact situation as your mom. Let me know if you get this resolved

Originally Posted by jlisi984
So I have an interesting sidebar to this story - both my mom and I are long-term Super Elites (since 2009 or so). My mom got a package in April 2023 congratulating her on requalifying for SE100K, with a card expiring Dec 2024. I didn't. Therefore: I continued to earn and spend on AC enough to get SE100K for 2024, while for my mum we used points and other airlines since she had already requalified. She ended up just under 9K spend and well over 100K flown (about 160K, counting rollover from 2022). I got my SE100K, she's down to E50K (1MM lifetime/what she earned). Now I'm going have to use the precendent AC has created with the E75K debacle to help her keep SE100K (though honestly I think her case is way, way stronger than those with E75K cards mailed at the end of the year). Good luck finding the right person to contact at AC, though.
jlisi984 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC E75K
I got the mailed package. I was supposed to be a 50k but got 75k for 2024. I was 75k in 2023. Seems like there are a lot of us...
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:41 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / FB Platinum / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jlisi984
So I have an interesting sidebar to this story - both my mom and I are long-term Super Elites (since 2009 or so). My mom got a package in April 2023 congratulating her on requalifying for SE100K, with a card expiring Dec 2024. I didn't. Therefore: I continued to earn and spend on AC enough to get SE100K for 2024, while for my mum we used points and other airlines since she had already requalified (honestly, I was surprised, but with so many promos, weird extensions and waivers in the past years I shrugged it off as perfectly plausible). She ended up just under 9K spend and well over 100K flown (about 160K, counting rollover from 2022). I got my SE100K, she's down to E50K (1MM lifetime/what she earned). Now I'm going have to use the precendent AC has created with the E75K debacle to help her keep SE100K (though honestly I think her case is way, way stronger than those with E75K cards mailed at the end of the year). Good luck finding the right person to contact at AC, though.

And just for proof, her (already well-used) card which came in April 2023:

Out of curiosity how does your mom utilize her actual card because even the credit cards which I use every day don't show this much wear & tear. And I don't think I've ever pulled out my SE card out of my travel wallet this year since everything is all digital...
billdokes likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:52 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Far Siren
Out of curiosity how does your mom utilize her actual card because even the credit cards which I use every day don't show this much wear & tear. And I don't think I've ever pulled out my SE card out of my travel wallet this year since everything is all digital...
In the travel wallet. The 1MM seems to be printed on, as mine is also almost completely worn off. I need the card quite regularly, alas, as in Europe I have to show it with some regularity (especially with AMADEUS now printing SE 1MM PREM instead of AC*G on boarding passes of other airlines...) However, the card is worse quality than my LH FTL, Priority Pass, or other cards which are also in that wallet.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: AC 75K, FB Gold, BW Diamond Select
Having read through this thread, and elsewhere, I am a little surprised Air Canada and Aeroplan haven't made an announcement regarding what's actually happened and how they will rectify it.
Like many others have said, the overall best approach would be to admit they sent the 75K packages out in error, and that those contacted would be set to the actual status they qualified for.
As a token of goodwill they could award some Aeroplan points.

To otherwise give a seemingly significant number of people 75K status that they were in no way close to achieving would be wrong and a real slap in the face to those that spent a lot of money earning 50K or 75K the correct way.
Not to mention the many other issues people have eloquently detailed above.

For those saying there would be lawsuits and Air Canada has to honour this error, I would counter that would be very difficult to uphold in court. All Aeroplan would need to say is that to achieve 75K you would have to have met the clearly published qualification thresholds, which the judge would rule the members didn't. In contract law, if a person benefiting from a clear error can easily see the error, the other party is not obligated to honour the error.

While I recognise the frustration and disappoint those who received the package may feel by being dropped down again, it would be more wrong for them to keep the 75K status. There is no doubt people would be screaming unfair if the situation was the other way around and folk who had qualified for 75K were dropped to 25K instead. People would be arguing they should get what they qualified for.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:24 am

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada, Best Western, Marriott
Originally Posted by Far Siren
Windshield scraper?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Hilton
Originally Posted by DrNest
Having read through this thread, and elsewhere, I am a little surprised Air Canada and Aeroplan haven't made an announcement regarding what's actually happened and how they will rectify it.
Like many others have said, the overall best approach would be to admit they sent the 75K packages out in error, and that those contacted would be set to the actual status they qualified for.
As a token of goodwill they could award some Aeroplan points.

To otherwise give a seemingly significant number of people 75K status that they were in no way close to achieving would be wrong and a real slap in the face to those that spent a lot of money earning 50K or 75K the correct way.
Not to mention the many other issues people have eloquently detailed above.

For those saying there would be lawsuits and Air Canada has to honour this error, I would counter that would be very difficult to uphold in court. All Aeroplan would need to say is that to achieve 75K you would have to have met the clearly published qualification thresholds, which the judge would rule the members didn't. In contract law, if a person benefiting from a clear error can easily see the error, the other party is not obligated to honour the error.

While I recognise the frustration and disappoint those who received the package may feel by being dropped down again, it would be more wrong for them to keep the 75K status. There is no doubt people would be screaming unfair if the situation was the other way around and folk who had qualified for 75K were dropped to 25K instead. People would be arguing they should get what they qualified for.
I agree with you.

But, I feel this ship (plane) has already sailed (flown).
Those that AC has bestowed unearned 75K status upon (myself included) have mostly received their benefits, and those benefits are being actively used.

It would be nearly impossible to revert the damage AC has caused without causing an even larger cluster.

I also agree that the lack of communication from AC on this matter is astounding*

*On brand
Wigg likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 9, 2024 at 10:32 am Reason: Profanity
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by trek604
I think you’re right. Has anyone posted here that was 75k last year not been boosted back to 75k this year regardless of what they earned? I haven’t seen anyone.
My wife. She was 75k last year and dropped to 50K. no update back to 75k. I don't think it was the whole 75k membership that didn't make it that got this. She did not receive any 75k kit either. This would lead me to believe that the numbers of former 75K that got bumped up are not as many as we might think there are. We are after all living in the flyertalk echo chamber.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: AC 75K, FB Gold, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by AdmiralBenson
I agree with you.

But, I feel this ship (plane) has already sailed (flown).
Those that AC has bestowed unearned 75K status upon (myself included) have mostly received their benefits, and those benefits are being actively used.

It would be nearly impossible to revert the damage AC has caused without causing an even larger cluster.

I also agree that the lack of communication from AC on this matter is astounding*

*On brand
Interesting to hear that. I'm 75K through actually earning it, and have yet to receive my benefits for this year. So it's frustrating to hear that those who got 75K through this error are already using those benefits. (Not that I blame them per se for doing so). I still feel AC can rectify this, but likely to do so would require them having competent IT individuals.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:21 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Or any status earned "the correct way". As we saw from promos late last year, even "organic" SEs may be feeling pissed about now.

For those saying there would be lawsuits and Air Canada has to honour this error, I would counter that would be very difficult to uphold in court.
If I was given 1,000 LQM for every time someone on this forum has bellowed that they are going to sue AC for breach of contract / tariff / Geneva Conventions or some other indignity, I'd be a 3MM by now!
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:25 am

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Originally Posted by illico
My wife. She was 75k last year and dropped to 50K. no update back to 75k. I don't think it was the whole 75k membership that didn't make it that got this. She did not receive any 75k kit either. This would lead me to believe that the numbers of former 75K that got bumped up are not as many as we might think there are. We are after all living in the flyertalk echo chamber.
Interesting data point.

Could it be that maybe those that reached or exceeded the 75K $9,000 SQD limit AND 50K 50,000 SQM limit were extended 75K status for 2024?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.