Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Aeroplan Terms & Conditions (Feb 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Aeroplan Terms & Conditions (Feb 2024)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWgary
And some will ONLY check out on e-commerce if they're not forced to log in.

If I'm only planning one or two purchases from your business, I actively dislike being forced to create an account.
But there's also a big difference between forcing an account for a cash flight vs a points flight (which they obviously do).

The real question is if there'd be a benefit (to them) of forcing login to search for redemptions.
YOWgary likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by expert7700
(v) (i) applying for multiple credit cards across different product types (e.g., entry, core, premium, core small business, premium small business, or any other card that has a substantially similar level of benefits) across multiple financial institutions that issue an Aeroplan Credit Card.
Interesting, so I was actually going to apply for an AMEX Premium as it has a better AC multiplier, and the CIBC Visa stops giving bonuses after 100k. Also I'd get 2 companion passes after 25k spend on each. I'm assuming this is no longer allowed per the above?

I know some people that have the AMEX Reserve, and then keep an Aeroplan Visa Infinite as a backup since AMEX isn't accepted everywhere. Looks like that's also not allowed.

And what about if you're switching between banks? If you have > 1 card for a short period while you transition do you run afoul of the rules?
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Interesting, so I was actually going to apply for an AMEX Premium as it has a better AC multiplier, and the CIBC Visa stops giving bonuses after 100k. Also I'd get 2 companion passes after 25k spend on each. I'm assuming this is no longer allowed per the above?

I know some people that have the AMEX Reserve, and then keep an Aeroplan Visa Infinite as a backup since AMEX isn't accepted everywhere. Looks like that's also not allowed.

And what about if you're switching between banks? If you have > 1 card for a short period while you transition do you run afoul of the rules?
If you're spending enough on the cards to get the companion pass every year, then I don't think you're the kind of person they're trying to stop.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

This is the complete T&C for this clause (bolding mine). Looks like it's mostly around preventing card churn

(i) applying for multiple credit cards across different product types (e.g., entry, core, premium, core small business, premium small business, or any other card that has a substantially similar level of benefits) across multiple financial institutions that issue an Aeroplan Credit Card in order to circumnavigate these Terms and Conditions or the terms and conditions of any such financial institution issuing an Aeroplan Credit Card thereby receiving multiple New Card Bonuses;
Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:38 pm

If you want to make sure you are not targeted for a random crackdown, you could apply for Amex Business Reserve.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The point of the welcome bonus is to get you to actually switch your spend to that card.

It's a money-losing venture for them to give you 80k points for $5k spend over and over and over and over.
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Makes sense. I guess I'm just too lazy to bother.
But would it not be the financial institution that is losing, rather than Aeroplan? The 80k (or whatever # of) points are purchased by the credit card issuing FI for a fixed amount, so Air Canada nets the same anyway irrespective of whether those 80k points are awarded on a sign-up or regular spend.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by mudd_stuffin
But would it not be the financial institution that is losing, rather than Aeroplan? The 80k (or whatever # of) points are purchased by the credit card issuing FI for a fixed amount, so Air Canada nets the same anyway irrespective of whether those 80k points are awarded on a sign-up or regular spend.
Given the revenue split from credit cards, I would be shocked if the bonus did not have part of its cost paid by Aeroplan.

In fact, I remember one of the execs talking about why the Chase card had FRCs originally instead of points, and it definitely sounded like they were funding at least part of it.
warrens likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:17 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Figure with the recent terms, this question might be better in this forum than the Chase (or AMEX) Aeroplan threads...

I'm eligible for US credit cards only, and have never picked up an Aeroplan credit card. I'm at 3-of-24 with Chase currently. Granted I didn't read the terms that carefully yet, but should I make sure to pick up the cards (and if so, in a certain order) before February?

I'm planning to pick up the Chase Aeroplan card at the crack of 2024 to "renew" 25k status and get next year's eUpgrades! But was wondering if I should go for more...

(FWIW I've never "abused" the Aeroplan program or T&Cs in the way that the revamp is clamping down on, or in any other way that I'm currently knowledgeable about, if that matters!)
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:46 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
So I do my personal banking at CIBC and my Business banking at TD...do the new T's&C's suggest that since I hold an Aeroplan Infinite Privilege with CIBC I can't get another Aeroplan associated card from TD, and if I do they can cancel my account?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 3:28 am

I appreciate what Aeroplan is trying to do with the terms and conditions for welcome bonuses, but I wish they'd just define a simple, clear cut rule and be done with it.

Eg "You can earn one welcome bonus per 24 months, regardless of card type or issuer" or "You can earn one welcome bonus per card type, per lifetime" or something like that. Just cut the vagueness and the arbitrary application of rules and make everyone's expectations clear and predictable.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 3:51 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Given the revenue split from credit cards, I would be shocked if the bonus did not have part of its cost paid by Aeroplan.

In fact, I remember one of the execs talking about why the Chase card had FRCs originally instead of points, and it definitely sounded like they were funding at least part of it.
I don't have any specifics of AC's deals with its issuers, but I can guarantee that, whatever the mechanic, AC is bearing a portion of the cost of sign-up bonuses. Both AC and the card issuers are incentivized to limit churning. A difference between AC and most airlines is that while most airlines have only one co-brand issuer in a given market, AC is partnered with several financial institutions. Even those who aren't churners could benefit by periodically hopping from one issuer to another, e.g. switching back and forth between TD VIP and CIBC VIP every 12 months or whatever. That's not quite churning, but it's still not good for the issuers, and it's particularly bad for AC, which will eat a chunk of they sign-up bonus.

Originally Posted by billdokes
So I do my personal banking at CIBC and my Business banking at TD...do the new T's&C's suggest that since I hold an Aeroplan Infinite Privilege with CIBC I can't get another Aeroplan associated card from TD, and if I do they can cancel my account?
They're poorly written, so yes, 11(v)(i) could be read that way. I highly doubt they intend to target people like you though, since what they likely want to do is cut down on the cost of churning.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 5:52 am

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
We have added some terms that prohibit the participation in our program via script, macro or other automated means.
Does this mean if you use any service including Expert Flyer, Seats.Aero, or Point.Me that you are breaking AC's terms?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 5:56 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by expert7700
(v) (i) applying for multiple credit cards across different product types (e.g., entry, core, premium, core small business, premium small business, or any other card that has a substantially similar level of benefits) across multiple financial institutions that issue an Aeroplan Credit Card.
What about people who already have more than one for the same type) ex: 2 core cards?

I think the move will be very detrimental to AMEX. It's not accepted in some places still. Previously, it was easier to have a second card to use in these situations. But now would I get an AMEX that is only accepted at 90% of retailers if I can't also have a back up for the remaining 10%? Of course not, I'd just go with a VISA ...
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're spending enough on the cards to get the companion pass every year, then I don't think you're the kind of person they're trying to stop.

"Every" one of my companion passes earned are lost as I purchase Latitude flight passes and or J passes now.
Companion Benefit is of zero benefit to me.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:04 am

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by RK23
Does this mean if you use any service including Expert Flyer, Seats.Aero, or Point.Me that you are breaking AC's terms?
ExpertFlyer already withdrew its reward flight search for all the Star Alliance carriers back in October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.