Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New Aeroplan Terms & Conditions (Feb 2024)

New Aeroplan Terms & Conditions (Feb 2024)

Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:06 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 5,122
New Aeroplan Terms & Conditions (Feb 2024)

Effective February 5, 2024, we are making changes to the Aeroplan program general Terms and Conditions.

Please take a moment to read the following summary of revisions:
  • We have clarified some terms with respect to Aeroplan Accounts, including that attempts to register more than one account using different email addresses or other identification methods are prohibited.
  • We have clarified that a member may be eligible to create or join a Family Pool and have clarified that how we handle fraud in a Family Pool also applies when a Family Member has undertaken actual or suspected fraudulent or illicit activity.
  • The time period after which we may close an inactive Aeroplan Account and terminate Aeroplan Membership has been shortened to three consecutive years.
  • We have added some terms regarding the earning of new card bonuses on our cobrand Aeroplan credit cards.
  • We have added some terms that prohibit the participation in our program via script, macro or other automated means.
  • We have clarified some terms regarding our handling of prohibited activity or suspected prohibited activity in the program, including that we have the right to audit Members Accounts at any time and without notice to verify compliance with our Terms and Conditions.
There is no action required from you today, but if you would like, you can access the updated version of the Aeroplan Program General Terms and Conditions here. If you have trouble accessing any link for any reason, please contact us and we would be happy to provide you with copies.

We thank you for your loyalty.

Your Aeroplan Team

some further detail from the expanded T&C link:

11. Prohibited Activity

Aeroplan Membership is a privilege that can be suspended, revoked, or terminated at any time, for any reason, and without compensation. Reasons for suspension, revocation or termination include, but are not limited to:

(iv) any attempt to participate in the Aeroplan Program via script, macro or other automated means; and.

(v) (i) applying for multiple credit cards across different product types (e.g., entry, core, premium, core small business, premium small business, or any other card that has a substantially similar level of benefits) across multiple financial institutions that issue an Aeroplan Credit Card.

7. Aeroplan Family Sharing

...Aeroplan reserves the right to request that you validate your family relationship with other Family Members at any time. If we suspect any untruthful, fraudulent or illicit activity related to a Pool or a Family Member in the Pool in any way, we may, at our sole discretion, in addition to all other rights and remedies available to us, temporarily or permanently prohibit any or all Family Members from participating in a Pool or from accumulating or redeeming Aeroplan Points, or we may suspend or terminate the Pool, any or all of the associated Aeroplan Memberships and close any or all of the associated Accounts.

Last edited by expert7700; Nov 29, 2023 at 11:34 am
expert7700 is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Programs: AP AS BA
Posts: 351
1) Hopefully, this is one step towards resuming joining a Family Sharing group and partner (especially NH) reward availability

2) It's nice to include language to prohibit scripts and other automated means but it would be much better if the search function is placed behind the password. Or am I wrong?
fbrdky is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:03 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Posts: 4,477
Originally Posted by fbrdky
2) It's nice to include language to prohibit scripts and other automated means but it would be much better if the search function is placed behind the password. Or am I wrong?
I discussed this before. Sure, it would be easy to reduce load by requiring logins. I personally don't think that, in 2023, this would slow many people down. I would argue that anyone going to ac.com already has an awareness and relationship with AC, and presumably an account; logging in is not a burden. Conversely, anyone casually browsing isn't going direct to ac.com, and using Google or some OTA and either gets a deep link, or is far enough along they can setup an account before reproducing the search.

But I'm also sure some marketing type says they have to allow random idiots to search or they would lose sales.

Ironically, if they did not have management and IT brains, and CPU cycles, eaten up fighting bots, they might be able to produce some hard numbers on this.
RangerNS is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:25 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 6,103
Originally Posted by expert7700

(v) (i) applying for multiple credit cards across different product types (e.g., entry, core, premium, core small business, premium small business, or any other card that has a substantially similar level of benefits) across multiple financial institutions that issue an Aeroplan Credit Card.
I find this one interesting. Is this an attempt to cut down on the number of churners or is there some other angle here?
Bohemian1 is online now  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:31 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,993
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I find this one interesting. Is this an attempt to cut down on the number of churners or is there some other angle here?
The point of the welcome bonus is to get you to actually switch your spend to that card.

It's a money-losing venture for them to give you 80k points for $5k spend over and over and over and over.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:34 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 6,103
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The point of the welcome bonus is to get you to actually switch your spend to that card.

It's a money-losing venture for them to give you 80k points for $5k spend over and over and over and over.
Makes sense. I guess I'm just too lazy to bother.
Bohemian1 is online now  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:53 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: YUL find me in Montreal
Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 652
Originally Posted by expert7700
11. Prohibited Activity
Aeroplan Membership is a privilege that can be suspended, revoked, or terminated at any time, for any reason, and without compensation. Reasons for suspension, revocation or termination include, but are not limited to:

(iv) any attempt to participate in the Aeroplan Program via script, macro or other automated means; and.

(v) (i) applying for multiple credit cards across different product types (e.g., entry, core, premium, core small business, premium small business, or any other card that has a substantially similar level of benefits) across multiple financial institutions that issue an Aeroplan Credit Card.
Don't forget this part:

and (ii) a behaviour of cancelling, or disengaging in, an Aeroplan Credit Card shortly after receiving a New Card Bonus.

Oh-ho-ho..... RIP to all those Facebook card churning groups
acysb87, taupo, expert7700 and 2 others like this.
warrens is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 12:56 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: YVR
Programs: Altitude E75K , Gold Marriott
Posts: 99
Originally Posted by warrens
Don't forget this part:

and (ii) a behaviour of cancelling, or disengaging in, an Aeroplan Credit Card shortly after receiving a New Card Bonus.

Oh-ho-ho..... RIP to all those Facebook card churning groups
I'm glad to see that, it's a game of whack of mole though. So many churners out there...
taupo, The Lev and RangerNS like this.
FreedomIsntFree is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 1:03 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: YUL
Programs: AC E75K
Posts: 119
Originally Posted by warrens
Don't forget this part:

and (ii) a behaviour of cancelling, or disengaging in, an Aeroplan Credit Card shortly after receiving a New Card Bonus.
That text was there before, they just broadened it from Welcome Bonus to any New Card Bonus. Surely that's what they always meant, but interpretations have clearly differed.
sports1 likes this.
yulscs is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:20 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Programs: AC E75K (*G) | Mariott Platinum | Hilton Gold
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by expert7700
(v) (i) applying for multiple credit cards across different product types (e.g., entry, core, premium, core small business, premium small business, or any other card that has a substantially similar level of benefits) across multiple financial institutions that issue an Aeroplan Credit Card.
Would I be right in assuming that this is targeted at opening the same card category across the issuers ie they would take action if someone opened the Amex reserve, CIBC infinite privilege and TD infinite privilege at the same time? But not at progressively getting higher tier cards over time (keeping the old ones for the boost to credit history) as I started with a entry card two-ish years ago, just got a core card a couple of months ago and am likely going to get a premium card sometime next year and dont want to unintentionally run afoul of the rules.
neilk99 is online now  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:24 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Posts: 4,477
Originally Posted by neilk99
Would I be right in assuming that this is targeted at opening the same card category across the issuers ie they would take action if someone opened the Amex reserve, CIBC infinite privilege and TD infinite privilege at the same time? But not at progressively getting higher tier cards over time (keeping the old ones for the boost to credit history) as I started with a entry card two-ish years ago, just got a core card a couple of months ago and am likely going to get a premium card sometime next year and dont want to unintentionally run afoul of the rules.
that has a substantially similar level of benefits
You could get in trouble for looking at an agent funny, but I think the intent here is clear. That clause somewhat documents it, and something to argue in court.
RangerNS is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:32 pm
  #12  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Posts: 1,928
Not happy about not being able to participate in the program through an automated script. I use Python, Selenium, and Brightdata.com to search up awards and fares at Air Canada as the website is so rediculously poor and slow that I just don't have time to find what I need.
smilee is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:42 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I discussed this before. Sure, it would be easy to reduce load by requiring logins. I personally don't think that, in 2023, this would slow many people down. I would argue that anyone going to ac.com already has an awareness and relationship with AC, and presumably an account; logging in is not a burden. Conversely, anyone casually browsing isn't going direct to ac.com, and using Google or some OTA and either gets a deep link, or is far enough along they can setup an account before reproducing the search.

But I'm also sure some marketing type says they have to allow random idiots to search or they would lose sales.

Ironically, if they did not have management and IT brains, and CPU cycles, eaten up fighting bots, they might be able to produce some hard numbers on this.
I can't find it anymore, but I took a UX class several years ago, and one of the case studies was how an airline increased their sales by adding a checkout as guest option. I think it was United? Maybe I'm misremembering, or it was another type of business altogether. In general, a significant percentage of people will checkout on e-commerce without bothering to log in.
YOWgary and vancouver25k like this.
exolstice is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 3:56 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YOW
Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Posts: 5,659
Originally Posted by exolstice
I can't find it anymore, but I took a UX class several years ago, and one of the case studies was how an airline increased their sales by adding a checkout as guest option. I think it was United? Maybe I'm misremembering, or it was another type of business altogether. In general, a significant percentage of people will checkout on e-commerce without bothering to log in.
And some will ONLY check out on e-commerce if they're not forced to log in.

If I'm only planning one or two purchases from your business, I actively dislike being forced to create an account.
YOWgary is online now  
Old Nov 29, 2023, 4:05 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Ottawa, Canada + Edinburgh, Scotland
Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Posts: 715
Originally Posted by YOWgary
And some will ONLY check out on e-commerce if they're not forced to log in.

If I'm only planning one or two purchases from your business, I actively dislike being forced to create an account.
yeah, in the past couple of weeks I've left websites at the point of being about to purchase something for just this reason. I can't bear to receive spam emails a couple of times a week for the rest of my life, which seems to happen frequently when I purchase something online these days and am required to create an account. (One can unsubscribe, but that doesn't always work.)
billdokes likes this.
flyingcrooked is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.