Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New AC Strategic Partnership with Emirates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AC Strategic Partnership with Emirates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2024, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I said I'd post this "within the next week" of my flight, but I forgot.

This is the meat of what I wrote in to AC:

----
Between March 25 2023 and June 19, I booked/changed some flights to secure Etihad First Class for Scott Kennedy (myself, “Scott”, booking XXXXX1), and [Other pax full name]. (“Bob”, booking YYYYY1), for FRA-LHR-AUH-CAI // CAI-AUH-LHR (with Scott continuing on to FRA).

It fell apart in the following ways:

In the next couple weeks, I received a couple itinerary change emails, but they were minor time changes.

On July 20, I received a substantial change for Scott, where the return had been rebooked to CAI-CPH-FRA, and no longer had Etihad First Class.

On August 9, I called in, and had the original routing reinstated, but with an overnight at LHR, to solve a connection time issue.

On November 2, Scott’s AUH-LHR segment had disappeared, so I called again, and proposed CAI-DXB-BRU-FRA for Scott, and CAI-DXB-BRU-LHR for Bob, which had reward space for 2 in Emirates First for CAI-DXB-BRU, and LH/SN Business for BRU-FRA and BRU-LHR. I was put on hold, and the agent came back offering CAI-DXB-LHR in First (and -FRA in Business for Scott), which did not have reward space. I accepted that option.

Over the next few weeks, the Emirates website consistently said it wasn’t ticketed, and I called Aeroplan numerous times, where they made various changes to the tickets, but to no avail. I was assured everything was fine at the end of every call.

The first EK flight was November 24 at 0050. We showed up several hours earlier, late on November 23. They would not check us in. There was no ticket attached, and the system would not accept the supervisor manually typing in our ticket numbers, producing a “CABIN CLASS MISMATCH” error. I called Aeroplan, and the EK supervisor spoke with Aeroplan for well over an hour trying to solve this. The EK supervisor said something along the lines of “you need to just cancel this, start over, create a new booking, and attach the ticket”, which the Aeroplan agent did. Scott’s new booking reference was XXXXX2, and Bob’s was YYYYY2. However, it still would not work, and check-in eventually closed. Aeroplan recommended we take a Lufthansa flight to FRA that night, but with the complexity of security and the terminal configuration at CAI, there was no way we were going to make it there before check-in closed.

Bob needed to get to the UK, and reluctantly accepted CAI-MAN operated by EgyptAir in Business the next morning. Scott had some extra time, so accepted a rebooking in Emirates First on CAI-DXB-FRA the next afternoon.

From there, we made our way to the airport hotel, and booked the cheapest room they had available for a total of 8,318.39 EGP (269.22 USD). Scott canceled his hotel in FRA for the night of November 24 since he would no longer be getting there until the morning of November 25.

The next morning, Bob successfully checked in for and flew CAI-MAN.

Scott showed up in the early afternoon on November 24 to check in for CAI-DXB-FRA, and ran into the exact same issues. Aeroplan was not open yet, so he called the concierge, who wasn’t able to do anything to help, but agreed to talk to Aeroplan when they opened, and call him back. The callback came, and he was told there was no way to get this to work, and Scott was rebooked CAI-VIE-FRA in Austrian and Lufthansa Business, with no other options provided. Scott flew that itinerary.

Scott now needed to rebook a hotel at FRA for the night, and the original rate was no longer available. The original rate was 99.00 EUR (~108.37 USD), and the new rate was 177.00 EUR (193.76 USD).

This was an extremely unpleasant airport experience. I don’t know what the ticketing relationship is between Aeroplan and Emirates, but it is absolutely unacceptable that you would issue tickets that the operating airline will not accept, with no recourse other than to spend countless hours in the barren check-in area, including a forced overnight, and just give up in the end, resulting in a massive downgrade (OS/LH “Business” class on those flights is equivalent to an EK Economy class seat, and MS business class is equivalent to an EK Premium Economy seat).

----

I asked for reimbursement of the CAI hotel and the difference in FRA hotel, a refund of the substantial points difference, and additional compensation.

I only sent this off a few days ago, so I have not heard back yet.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 6:42 pm

Adding a DP to the invol change protection to EK.
An acquaintance’s YVR-ORD-HND in ANA F was re-protected to YVR-DXB-TPE on AC J and EK F, presumably with EK F award space on the DXB-TPE leg. She was able to fly without any problem. The flight occurred a few days ago.
So we should have some assurance that protection to EK Z-cabin should be fine. She also didn’t do anything special, e.g. request re-ticketing with a Z-fare.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by JacFlyer
Adding a DP to the invol change protection to EK.
An acquaintance’s YVR-ORD-HND in ANA F was re-protected to YVR-DXB-TPE on AC J and EK F, presumably with EK F award space on the DXB-TPE leg. She was able to fly without any problem. The flight occurred a few days ago.
So we should have some assurance that protection to EK Z-cabin should be fine. She also didn’t do anything special, e.g. request re-ticketing with a Z-fare.
What did cowtool say?

But yes, if you're in Z and it's ticketed properly I would expect no issues.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
What did cowtool say?

Unfortunately I don't have the PNR. It's an acquaintance's booking, and I only found out she was flying EK F when she posted on social network asking ppl to guest which flight she was on.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:45 am

Programs: LH Sen
I said I'd post this "within the next week" of my flight, but I forgot.

This is the meat of what I wrote in to AC:

It fell apart in the following ways:

In the next couple weeks, I received a couple itinerary change emails, but they were minor time changes...

...This was an extremely unpleasant airport experience. I don’t know what the ticketing relationship is between Aeroplan and Emirates, but it is absolutely unacceptable that you would issue tickets that the operating airline will not accept, with no recourse other than to spend countless hours in the barren check-in area, including a forced overnight, and just give up in the end, resulting in a massive downgrade (OS/LH “Business” class on those flights is equivalent to an EK Economy class seat, and MS business class is equivalent to an EK Premium Economy seat).
What did cowtool say?

So, is it safe to assume that if one books an EK F redemption and 1) does not make any changes to the itinerary (also taking into account AP does not implement any random itinerary changes) and; 2) the tix is booked as a Z-fare - that all should go swimmingly? I only ask as I plan on booking an EK F award. However, reading about your experience has given me pause for thought.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by msat
So, is it safe to assume that if one books an EK F redemption and 1) does not make any changes to the itinerary (also taking into account AP does not implement any random itinerary changes) and; 2) the tix is booked as a Z-fare - that all should go swimmingly? I only ask as I plan on booking an EK F award. However, reading about your experience has given me pause for thought.
Yes, my issue was that they rebooked me in F due to a schedule change, even though there was a perfectly reasonable option in Z.
msat likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Took AC flight from DXB to YYZ last night. I was surprised to get access to EK F class lounge.
AC concierge and EK F lounge agent both said this policy is relatively new whereby AC SEs can access the EK F class lounge..
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Took AC flight from DXB to YYZ last night. I was surprised to get access to EK F class lounge.
AC concierge and EK F lounge agent both said this policy is relatively new whereby AC SEs can access the EK F class lounge..
But the AC web site re: SE benefits re: Emirates lounge access - is not updated!

This is directly copied from SE web site re: non Star Alliance lounge privileges:

Complimentary access to non-Star Alliance Lounges

Passengers travelling on Air Canada flights have access to a variety of airline or airport lounges in most airports globally. Enjoy the comfort and amenities of Virgin Australia lounges when traveling on Air Canada or Virgin Australia, and the Emirates Business Class Lounges at Dubai International airport (DXB) when traveling on Air Canada or Emirates.

Learn more about Aeroplan airline partners.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 3:54 pm

Programs: Prince of Travel
Still on the EY F rebooked into EK F Drama:
I had the same misfortune of being denied boarding and was also on Aeroplan Call centre / EK check in desk for 8 hrs.
In the end I had Aeroplan to postpone my flight to november, and this time I also had EK ground staff to double check if my new ticket is good to go, and he said yes. (I personally dont think so)
My fare basis is now: OBP00AFC/AE4
From reading pages of talks above, I'm suppose to have aeroplan to switch the "O" to "Z"?
Would they do that? How r they gonna do that?
My Emirate's "manage booking" is also showing "your agent has not ticketed your trip"

It's a crazy mess thanks to EY, and now EK.... urgh... TIA whoever comes to help me

Last edited by chris186; Jan 29, 2024 at 3:55 pm Reason: More info
Old Jan 29, 2024, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by chris186
Still on the EY F rebooked into EK F Drama:
I had the same misfortune of being denied boarding and was also on Aeroplan Call centre / EK check in desk for 8 hrs.
In the end I had Aeroplan to postpone my flight to november, and this time I also had EK ground staff to double check if my new ticket is good to go, and he said yes. (I personally dont think so)
My fare basis is now: OBP00AFC/AE4
From reading pages of talks above, I'm suppose to have aeroplan to switch the "O" to "Z"?
Would they do that? How r they gonna do that?
My Emirate's "manage booking" is also showing "your agent has not ticketed your trip"

It's a crazy mess thanks to EY, and now EK.... urgh... TIA whoever comes to help me
The most important thing is that you're booked in Z class. That's not something Aeroplan can force. Either it's available or it's not.

But they can pretty easily (i.e. call ticketing) switch the fare basis to whatever they want. You do need a reasonably competent front-line agent for that though.

I'd generally trust the cowtool PNR viewer's Bad Booking Detector for this. Until it stops complaining, I'd be very skeptical about being able to check in.

Ask me how I know

Speaking of which, it's been almost 3 weeks since I sent in my complaint, and I have not heard back yet.
Speedbird84 and kalderlake like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 4:34 am

Programs: Prince of Travel
Thanks Cow!
So the EK F i booked for 2 weeks ago and the one on November, are actual F seat that i found on aeroplan search engine. Only when i found them then I asked Aeroplan to book.
Obviously my early incident resulted in no fly, despite it was an actual Z (EK's First) fare. And my next November flight looks awfully similar to the previous one also.

On EK's ground side, they kept mentioning Fare Basis Mismatch. I have told aeroplan many times this is the issue, but they had no clue and couldn't fix it. Resulted in No-Fly.
Would changing the "O" to an "Z" in the fare basis code (OBP00AFC/AE4) fix this whole thing itself?

Sorry cow, i'm not even sure what im asking anymore. This whole EYF EKF saga is taking a toll on me and everyone, including urself too. Im glad that im not the only one dealing with this. It really did feel helpless when I was in EK F Counter for 8 hrs. In the end i booked EY F with AA points. It all comes back full circle, urgh

Last edited by chris186; Jan 30, 2024 at 4:36 am Reason: type
Old Jan 30, 2024, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by chris186
On EK's ground side, they kept mentioning Fare Basis Mismatch. I have told aeroplan many times this is the issue, but they had no clue and couldn't fix it. Resulted in No-Fly.
Would changing the "O" to an "Z" in the fare basis code (OBP00AFC/AE4) fix this whole thing itself?
I'm not going to offer any guarantees that it would fix it. But it can only help.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Thanks so much for this info...Ill be flying YVR to DXB and DXB to YVR shortly and am hoping to be as lucky as you to get access to Emirates First Class lounge..Just checking....the EK F class lounge refers to the Emirates First Class loungeright? . Does anyone have any update on any website/references to plead my case to get in at the EK F class lounge when I arrive for depature ;-) ? Really looking forward to celebrate the 1mm milestone as I'm currently sitting @ 991,215 lifetime Aeroplan miles. I was able to get upgraded both ways so far, but I had to hold my breath for quite a while while upgrade cleared!
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:15 am

RE: Aeroplan EK ticketing mess.
I booked a J itinerary with AP, the operating airline cancelled the flight so AP rebooked 1st leg onto EK J fare class D. my fare basis is still IBP00AEF/AE4, Cowtool's bad booking detector brought me here. when looking up the my PNR on emirates it seems normal, no invalid ticket alert and I'm able to select seats and meals online. Should I be worried about denied check-in?
The only red flag is on the e-ticket email AP sent me it doesn't specify which cabin the EK segment is, unlike the other segments operated by AC which it says Cabin: Business Class (P).
Maybe the issue is only for F, has anyone had this issue with EK J?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Another data point on attempting to upgrade to F a couple of weeks back when booked on an aeroplan ticket - booked YYC-SFO-DXB in J flex for 138K. I was unable to attempt an upgrade via the emirates website beforehand. I tried at check-in at SFO - they indicated I could only do so via EK miles. Asked again at the EK lounge and was told I can do so onboard. Briefly before the time of boarding there were 6 seats still available in F per expertflyer. I enquired onboard and the purser stopped by with a presumed pricing list and I was told that it would be $5.6K USD to upgrade to F. Needless to say - it was a hard pass and I ended up more than happy in J.
kalderlake likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.