Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New AC Strategic Partnership with Emirates

New AC Strategic Partnership with Emirates

Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:37 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: YYT
Programs: AC 35K, M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Posts: 1,711
New AC Strategic Partnership with Emirates

HSBC likes this.
codfather is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:14 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 30
At least in Toronto, where Emirates is the only non-Star Alliance airline operating out of Terminal 1, this makes a lot of sense.
TorTraveler is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:19 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto - YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Posts: 5,896
Presumably this means a terminal change in Dubai.
ACYYZ/SD is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:23 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YOW
Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Posts: 5,667
Interesting to see AC hold some form of partnership with each of the ME3, plus Oman, plus Gulf.

Must have been an interesting set of discussions.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
YOWgary is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:25 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM
Posts: 23,251
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Interesting to see AC hold some form of partnership with each of the ME3, plus Oman, plus Gulf.
Must have been an interesting set of discussions.
Whats more interesting is that go back a few years and AC was screaming that all these airlines were evil....
rankourabu is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:37 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YOW
Programs: HON Circle
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Whats more interesting is that go back a few years and AC was screaming that all these airlines were evil....
They are evil, unless of course EK allows me to redeem an EK F award with my aeropesos
msat is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:47 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Posts: 4,399
Originally Posted by msat
They are evil, unless of course EK allows me to redeem an EK F award with my aeropesos
I think a lot of people would be interested in redeeming on EK though their load space from YYZ is very high making redemptions tough - even if AC allows it.
Also interested in onward connections to India. Currently AC flight to DEL arrives near midnight and most onward connections are in the morning with a 7hr layover. But DXB may require a terminal or airport change, so who knows.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
vernonc is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:42 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
Posts: 701
Originally Posted by TorTraveler
At least in Toronto, where Emirates is the only non-Star Alliance airline operating out of Terminal 1, this makes a lot of sense.
Lynx is in T1
WannabeSE likes this.
eastcoastcan is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:46 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: YXU, ON Canada
Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Posts: 4,665
It would be nice if they allowed access to the EK Lounges.
Microwave likes this.
Academic is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:58 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: YLW
Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Posts: 4,261
Originally Posted by Academic
It would be nice if they allowed access to the EK Lounges.

Ohhhhhhh EK Lounges, that would be very nice
HerpaYvr is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:07 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by vernonc
I think a lot of people would be interested in redeeming on EK though their load space from YYZ is very high making redemptions tough - even if AC allows it.
Also interested in onward connections to India. Currently AC flight to DEL arrives near midnight and most onward connections are in the morning with a 7hr layover. But DXB may require a terminal or airport change, so who knows.
Right now in Dubai it would mean a terminal change, its not very hard, similar to Toronto moving from T1 to T3.
But if there are onward connections, and maybe a 2nd Canada - Dubai city added beyond Toronto I would assume AC would move to the main EK terminal in Dubai.
ORK78600 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 12:00 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Posts: 28,448
Originally Posted by ORK78600
Right now in Dubai it would mean a terminal change, its not very hard, similar to Toronto moving from T1 to T3.
But if there are onward connections, and maybe a 2nd Canada - Dubai city added beyond Toronto I would assume AC would move to the main EK terminal in Dubai.
I think it's unlikely that AC - out of all the foreign airlines that partner with EK - would be required/chosen to move its thrice-weekly flight from T1 to T3.

The only foreign airline that ever was co-located with EK was Qantas, while they still served Dubai, and when they had a much broader and deeper partnership (which involved QF terminating their long-standing joint business with British Airways in order to pursue the EK partnership) than what is proposed here.
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 12:30 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: YYT
Programs: AC 35K, M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Posts: 1,711
As a side note, I wonder if this means we will see any change in terms of the Canadian government policy that essentially prohibits Emirates from flying into any Canadian airport other than YYZ? The issue always seemed to be that AC did not want it because of the competition, but if they have a strategic partnership that concern may no longer be as valid.
irishguy28 likes this.
codfather is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 12:50 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by vernonc
I think a lot of people would be interested in redeeming on EK though their load space from YYZ is very high making redemptions tough - even if AC allows it.
Also interested in onward connections to India. Currently AC flight to DEL arrives near midnight and most onward connections are in the morning with a 7hr layover. But DXB may require a terminal or airport change, so who knows.
Before Alaska joined One World, Alaska was selling Emirates Tickets using Alaska Miles . On Many occasions, I saw Flights YYZ / BOM ( One Way ) On Emirates for 82.5K + US $ 75( Business Class ) . Economy was 42.5K +75 txs.
Alaska Miles.
AC right now charging too much for Aeroplan plan tickets to India.
I got lucky with Alaska / BA for one Day . Oct 30. I am flying BA using Alaska points/ 2 tickets @ 70k points + US $ 365 txs.( each ) . YYZ / LHR Premium Economy . LHR / BOM Business class.
Economy lots available 50 k + US 321
mgn2000 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:07 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: AC SE 1MM
Posts: 341
Originally Posted by codfather
As a side note, I wonder if this means we will see any change in terms of the Canadian government policy that essentially prohibits Emirates from flying into any Canadian airport other than YYZ? The issue always seemed to be that AC did not want it because of the competition, but if they have a strategic partnership that concern may no longer be as valid.
That must have been on the table. Given the relative size mismatches why would EK do this otherwise?
Speedbird84 likes this.
yowcat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.