FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   New AC Strategic Partnership with Emirates (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2086645-new-ac-strategic-partnership-emirates.html)

codfather Jul 12, 2022 5:37 am

New AC Strategic Partnership with Emirates

TorTraveler Jul 12, 2022 6:14 am

At least in Toronto, where Emirates is the only non-Star Alliance airline operating out of Terminal 1, this makes a lot of sense.

ACYYZ/SD Jul 12, 2022 6:19 am

Presumably this means a terminal change in Dubai. :tu:

YOWgary Jul 12, 2022 6:23 am

Interesting to see AC hold some form of partnership with each of the ME3, plus Oman, plus Gulf.

Must have been an interesting set of discussions.

rankourabu Jul 12, 2022 6:25 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary (Post 34418065)
Interesting to see AC hold some form of partnership with each of the ME3, plus Oman, plus Gulf.
Must have been an interesting set of discussions.

Whats more interesting is that go back a few years and AC was screaming that all these airlines were evil....

msat Jul 12, 2022 6:37 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 34418072)
Whats more interesting is that go back a few years and AC was screaming that all these airlines were evil....

They are evil, unless of course EK allows me to redeem an EK F award with my aeropesos https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

vernonc Jul 12, 2022 6:47 am

Originally Posted by msat (Post 34418110)
They are evil, unless of course EK allows me to redeem an EK F award with my aeropesos https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

I think a lot of people would be interested in redeeming on EK though their load space from YYZ is very high making redemptions tough - even if AC allows it.
Also interested in onward connections to India. Currently AC flight to DEL arrives near midnight and most onward connections are in the morning with a 7hr layover. But DXB may require a terminal or airport change, so who knows.

eastcoastcan Jul 12, 2022 7:42 am

Originally Posted by TorTraveler (Post 34418042)
At least in Toronto, where Emirates is the only non-Star Alliance airline operating out of Terminal 1, this makes a lot of sense.

Lynx is in T1

Academic Jul 12, 2022 8:46 am

It would be nice if they allowed access to the EK Lounges.

HerpaYvr Jul 12, 2022 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Academic (Post 34418484)
It would be nice if they allowed access to the EK Lounges.

Ohhhhhhh EK Lounges, that would be very nice :)

ORK78600 Jul 12, 2022 10:07 am

Originally Posted by vernonc (Post 34418146)
I think a lot of people would be interested in redeeming on EK though their load space from YYZ is very high making redemptions tough - even if AC allows it.
Also interested in onward connections to India. Currently AC flight to DEL arrives near midnight and most onward connections are in the morning with a 7hr layover. But DXB may require a terminal or airport change, so who knows.

Right now in Dubai it would mean a terminal change, its not very hard, similar to Toronto moving from T1 to T3.
But if there are onward connections, and maybe a 2nd Canada - Dubai city added beyond Toronto I would assume AC would move to the main EK terminal in Dubai.

irishguy28 Jul 12, 2022 11:00 am

Originally Posted by ORK78600 (Post 34418762)
Right now in Dubai it would mean a terminal change, its not very hard, similar to Toronto moving from T1 to T3.
But if there are onward connections, and maybe a 2nd Canada - Dubai city added beyond Toronto I would assume AC would move to the main EK terminal in Dubai.

I think it's unlikely that AC - out of all the foreign airlines that partner with EK - would be required/chosen to move its thrice-weekly flight from T1 to T3.

The only foreign airline that ever was co-located with EK was Qantas, while they still served Dubai, and when they had a much broader and deeper partnership (which involved QF terminating their long-standing joint business with British Airways in order to pursue the EK partnership) than what is proposed here.

codfather Jul 12, 2022 11:30 am

As a side note, I wonder if this means we will see any change in terms of the Canadian government policy that essentially prohibits Emirates from flying into any Canadian airport other than YYZ? The issue always seemed to be that AC did not want it because of the competition, but if they have a strategic partnership that concern may no longer be as valid.

mgn2000 Jul 12, 2022 11:50 am

Originally Posted by vernonc (Post 34418146)

Before Alaska joined One World, Alaska was selling Emirates Tickets using Alaska Miles . On Many occasions, I saw Flights YYZ / BOM ( One Way ) On Emirates for 82.5K + US $ 75( Business Class ) . Economy was 42.5K +75 txs.
Alaska Miles.
AC right now charging too much for Aeroplan plan tickets to India.
I got lucky with Alaska / BA for one Day . Oct 30. I am flying BA using Alaska points/ 2 tickets @ 70k points + US $ 365 txs.( each ) . YYZ / LHR Premium Economy . LHR / BOM Business class.
Economy lots available 50 k + US 321

yowcat Jul 12, 2022 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by codfather (Post 34419013)
As a side note, I wonder if this means we will see any change in terms of the Canadian government policy that essentially prohibits Emirates from flying into any Canadian airport other than YYZ? The issue always seemed to be that AC did not want it because of the competition, but if they have a strategic partnership that concern may no longer be as valid.

That must have been on the table. Given the relative size mismatches why would EK do this otherwise?