Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
If you have general questions about how to earn SQM/SQS/SQD, please see the status qualification thread.

If you have received an incorrect amount of SQx/points, please see the thread on missing/incorrect flight activity.

Calculator for SQM, SQD, and Aeroplan points
SQM/SQD Cowculator and its source code

canadiancow's TODO list:
  • SAS Go Light fares
  • Basic economy on any airline other than AC (is it just need a fare basis that ends in GT?)
  • Ineligible codeshares, like EY-marketed, EY-operated, AC-ticketed

Adam Smith's TODO list:
  • Add earning for VA
  • Check earning rates for AC basic economy
Print Wikipost

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Small change. The GitHub repository is now at https://github.com/cowtool-llc/ac-sqd.

cowtool will continue to provide the hosting, and this is still an open source project (I should probably throw a license up there). I just wanted to get it off my personal account since it shares resources with the rest of cowtool.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
RDU-YUL and FLL-YYZ - new SQMs

RDU-YUL is 712 miles (a new one!) and FLL-YYZ is now 1215 miles.

😀
Adam Smith likes this.

Last edited by TTC900Rocket; Apr 3, 2023 at 7:50 am
Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:06 am

YUL-NRT 6425 SQM
The 6434 in the calculator is (currently, at the time of posting) based on Haversine.
Adam Smith and TTC900Rocket like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC 50K
YHZ-YDF, Flex Q, 415 SQM. Haversine was correct.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 6:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by salteen
YHZ-YDF, Flex Q, 415 SQM. Haversine was correct.
Does AC actually fly that route anymore, or is this an indication that the calculator also correctly handled a PAL segment?
Old Apr 5, 2023, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Does AC actually fly that route anymore, or is this an indication that the calculator also correctly handled a PAL segment?
This was on AC8022. They're still flying it!
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 6:56 pm

So I "feel" like I've had to adjust per-segment SQD in my spreadsheet by a dollar a lot.

Unfortunately, so many of my flights are FP bookings, so I don't actually have historical records of what the actual base fare was.

But if anyone has noticed this, where the calculator says you'll earn $100 but you end up with $99 or $101, I'd really appreciate knowing your base fare, surcharges, routing, and what you actually received, per segment.

I'm going to keep an eye out going forward.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 6:59 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So I "feel" like I've had to adjust per-segment SQD in my spreadsheet by a dollar a lot.

Unfortunately, so many of my flights are FP bookings, so I don't actually have historical records of what the actual base fare was.

But if anyone has noticed this, where the calculator says you'll earn $100 but you end up with $99 or $101, I'd really appreciate knowing your base fare, surcharges, routing, and what you actually received, per segment.

Some idiot probably botched the rounding calculations.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:05 pm

I would offer for my segment above, but it was booked by my employer in USD. I imagine the USD to CAD conversion would complicate things?
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by salteen
I would offer for my segment above, but it was booked by my employer in USD. I imagine the USD to CAD conversion would complicate things?
Yeah, it needs to be booked in CAD or all bets are off.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
FRA-SFO is now 5677 (was 5685).
Adam Smith likes this.

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Apr 5, 2023 at 8:42 pm
Old Apr 6, 2023, 6:51 am

Okay with one example from me and three from Adam, I think AC always rounds SQD up to the next dollar, whether it's xx.01 or xx.99.

If no one objects to that in the next while, I'll push a change.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 9:19 am

Okay with one example from me and three from Adam, I think AC always rounds SQD up to the next dollar, whether it's xx.01 or xx.99.

If no one objects to that in the next while, I'll push a change.
I have some examples that I can share too if you still want it. The main holdup is that I've deleted some of the booking emails so will need to go mine for fare info. Some are FP bookings.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 2:50 pm

At this point I wouldn't mind a few more that were off by a dollar, but a few that were correct would be useful too. I just want to make sure my test cases cover enough before I'm confident my "fix" actually fixes everything.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond

The problem is that AC seems to have botched the SQD calculation engine so badly that I don't trust any of their numbers anymore.

My last flight shows an SQD of 862 in the calculator - a number that exactly matches my own calculation based on the fare paid - and AC have granted me just 619 for that flight. I plan to email them about it (as is my new routine) but that whole issue & process makes the verification of the FT calculator, very hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.