Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
If you have general questions about how to earn SQM/SQS/SQD, please see the status qualification thread.

If you have received an incorrect amount of SQx/points, please see the thread on missing/incorrect flight activity.

Calculator for SQM, SQD, and Aeroplan points
SQM/SQD Cowculator and its source code

canadiancow's TODO list:
  • SAS Go Light fares
  • Basic economy on any airline other than AC (is it just need a fare basis that ends in GT?)
  • Ineligible codeshares, like EY-marketed, EY-operated, AC-ticketed

Adam Smith's TODO list:
  • Add earning for VA
  • Check earning rates for AC basic economy
Print Wikipost

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2022, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yeeg
NRT SIN posted as 1662 at a rate of 50%...3324 is the mileage
That's not a deduction you can make. I can't recall whether they round up or down, but it could easily be 3323 or 3325.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:13 pm

IAH-LIM 3141 miles
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't want to even update the link in the wiki yet (let alone kill the old one), but I've made some architectural changes to the calculator, which are all available at https://acsqd.cowtool.com/. And it's all still open-source.

Previously, the backend returned the HTML you saw. Now, the backend returns JSON, and the front-end renders it.

1. This moves it onto the same general platform that most cowtools are using
2. This allows it to return "machine-readable code", so I can update the PNR tool to directly access the calculator, rather than having a "copy" of its code. When I do this (and this is independent of shutting down the old calculator, so I'm going to make that work first), it means that any quick CSV updates to distances will be "instantly" available in both the calculator and the PNR tool.
3. I don't know, maybe I can save your queries to your cowtool account if that's something people want.
4. I never liked this calculator. I worked on the web-accessible system mostly to migrate it from a spreadsheet so the PNR tool could figure stuff out [1]

One thing to note in case anyone is concerned: If you access the new page, and you're logged in, it will show you're logged in. But you don't need to be logged in. This is still an open-source project, and everything other than my AWS deploy keys are completely accessible so anyone can do whatever they want with it.

I'm not killing the old one yet. But it's on my near-term roadmap. The new one even has better number formatting. So columns don't randomly shift from right-aligned to center-aligned. And you'll get commas in all the big numbers. Or not commas. It uses client-side regional settings.

But there's at least one distance that's only on the new site, and continued updates will only be on the new site.

[1] King Chung Huang, once this full migration is done, I'm quite happy to switch the front- and back-end to your (better on several fronts) calculator. As long as I can host a Lambda that lets my PNR tool access all the data it needs.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC SE(w/*); NEXUS
Looking at the GitHub today, not sure how I missed the small 'ports but maybe I assumed others had filled them in... I'd offer to update this minor mileage info myself but there is a much higher likelihood I'd ruin the entire database as I essentially have no idea what I'd be doing. I was sure I had a couple of YEGs to the North since the change but maybe it was in the "before-times." Hope this is useful:

YSJ-YYZ 685 (down 1)
YSJ-YUL 381 (same, but I think this is the 'new' number already given the ",,381")
YFC-YUL 349
YQU-YYC 345 (down 1 too)
YCD-YVR 250 (same as YYJ but didn't spot this particular pair so thought I'd include it)

This is my flying world; lots of Q400s and the occasional CRJ (if I'm lucky). Thanks to all the AC promos, the elusive SE should happen any time for me (almost certainly never to be repeated...) I already have the huge asterisk ready to apply to that accomplishment (should I choose to announce) but, man, those early and late book-end turbo-prop flights are wearing me down!

Thanks to everyone who helps little flyers like me learn and plan and organize. This thread and others, it is greatly appreciated. Cheers!!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:00 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YSJ8ed
I'd offer to update this minor mileage info myself but there is a much higher likelihood I'd ruin the entire database as I essentially have no idea what I'd be doing.
That's okay, I'll use my l33t h4x0r sk1llz to do it

YSJ-YUL 381 (same, but I think this is the 'new' number already given the ",,381")
Yes, someone has given us 381 from the new program. You're confirming that it was also 381 in the Before Times?

YFC-YUL 349
Is this the old distance, the new one, or both?

YCD-YVR 250 (same as YYJ but didn't spot this particular pair so thought I'd include it)
We only store the real distances in here. The 250 only applies to those who have status, so the calculator has an override that bumps up the distance on any <250-mile routes for people with status. So the old YYJ-YVR distance, for instance, was 38. We're missing a lot of them, since we don't get a lot of people (a) with no status and (b) flying on >=100%-earning fares reporting data

Thanks to everyone who helps little flyers like me learn and plan and organize. This thread and others, it is greatly appreciated. Cheers!!
Thanks for your contribution to this project! While @canadiancow did the vast majority of the work on the current iteration, the original database that I based the Excel calculator on was compiled by many FTers, and people continued to supply distances and functionality, then the cow took some of the data and used a bit of the logic of how I'd built the Excel version to build a much better online version. So the more people participating, the better these things tend to become
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: AC SE(w/*); NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That's okay, I'll use my l33t h4x0r sk1llz to do it

Yes, someone has given us 381 from the new program. You're confirming that it was also 381 in the Before Times?
Yeah, new only--sorry for the repetitiveness. I can't see any of my account transactions beyond 6 months, even when I select "2 years" (not that that would help either).

Is this the old distance, the new one, or both?
New distance only; as above.

We only store the real distances in here. The 250 only applies to those who have status, so the calculator has an override that bumps up the distance on any <250-mile routes for people with status. So the old YYJ-YVR distance, for instance, was 38. We're missing a lot of them, since we don't get a lot of people (a) with no status and (b) flying on >=100%-earning fares reporting data
Ah, that makes much more sense.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC 25K, Aegean Silver, Marriott Gold
Hi all, was trying to calculate SJD-YVR when I stumbled on this thread and the awesome tools! Went through my history and only have one route that seems to not have an entry in the new distance column.
BNA-YYZ, QK/Jazz, Latitude B
801 SQM
160 Class of service bonus

YYZ-BNA, Latitude B
801 SQM
160 Class of service bonus

So the 641 in old column looks to be true still.

Also have a United YVR-LAX from June 2022 (not sure if it's useful at all?).
(UA) YVR-LAX, Business Deep Discount Z
1620 SQM
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by englishcanuck
So the 641 in old column looks to be true still.
Excellent, thanks for sharing

Also have a United YVR-LAX from June 2022 (not sure if it's useful at all?)
AC awards the same number of miles/points regardless of the operating carrier, and we already have the YVR-LAX distance, so that one doesn't add anything, but thanks for checking
Old Nov 24, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
I had a quick look through the thread but can't find what I'm looking for.

Anyone know the current basic SQMs for YYZ-CDG ? It used to be 3740.

Thanks !
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by NordsFan
I had a quick look through the thread but can't find what I'm looking for.

Thanks !
It's still 3740 as recorded in the cowtool.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

If the calculator says the source is "Old Aeroplan", and/or it's not listed in the distance csv file in the source code, no one has reported it. I'm usually pretty quick to add new distances, or sometimes the cow beats me to it or someone goes direct to GitHub themselves, so if it's not there, no one has shared it.

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
It's still 3740 as recorded in the cowtool.
It hasn't been updated.
ChrisA330 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If the calculator says the source is "Old Aeroplan", and/or it's not listed in the distance csv file in the source code, no one has reported it. I'm usually pretty quick to add new distances, or sometimes the cow beats me to it or someone goes direct to GitHub themselves, so if it's not there, no one has shared it.

It hasn't been updated.
Thanks. I'll likely fly AC872-873 in early December and will report back with mileage earned.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 1:42 pm

YYZ-CDG basic SQMs = 3,735 (down from 3,740).
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:12 pm

YYZ-CDG basic SQMs = 3,735 (down from 3,740).
Basic? Basic only earns 25% points (and 0 SQM) and you can't necessarily extrapolate from that by multiplying by 4.

If that's really the new 100% earning you have to start wondering how intentional this is. I can definitely see 1 or 2 miles difference depending on the reference points but gcmap says it's 3,751 and 16 miles is more than the difference from YYZ to YTZ!

Though even if you agree on the points of reference you can end up with different distances depending on the datum you use and the math you use to calculate the distance. gcmap.com says the distance is 3,751 miles but I took the coordinates it lists which are both in the middle of the airports and measured the distance on Google Maps and it says 3,740.6 miles. It turns out measuring the "great circle" distance on the surface of an ellipsoid is at least slightly more complex than it sounds.

Last edited by zkzkz; Dec 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Basic? Basic only earns 25% points (and 0 SQM) and you can't necessarily extrapolate from that by multiplying by 4.
I'm pretty sure @NordsFan knows what he's talking about. Also note that multiplying any 25%-credited distance by 4 would yield a multiple of 4, which 3735 is not.

If that's really the new 100% earning you have to start wondering how intentional this is. I can definitely see 1 or 2 miles difference depending on the reference points but gcmap says it's 3,751 and 16 miles is more than the difference from YYZ to YTZ!
Where exactly is an airport, which is a large place? The control tower? The geographic centre (which itself is a debatable term)? The NE corner of the property? How is the haversine calculation done? Does anything get rounded?

It's not as simple as you make it out to be. WebFlyer gives 3740 as the distance from YYZ to CDG, for example. In the old days, AC would credit 1746 for YYZ-IAH. UA 1747. GCMap was 1748. WebFlyer 1750.

Also, a 5-mile reduction on YYZ-CDG is a far smaller percentage (0.134%) than 1 mile decrease on YYZ-BOS (0.225%) or the massive 0.5% increase on FRA-BLQ.

The new Aeroplan usually seems to result in lower numbers, but some are the same, and some are higher. That suggests a change in methodology, not a sinister attempt to screw people out of miles.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.