Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
If you have general questions about how to earn SQM/SQS/SQD, please see the status qualification thread.

If you have received an incorrect amount of SQx/points, please see the thread on missing/incorrect flight activity.

Calculator for SQM, SQD, and Aeroplan points
SQM/SQD Cowculator and its source code

canadiancow's TODO list:
  • SAS Go Light fares
  • Basic economy on any airline other than AC (is it just need a fare basis that ends in GT?)
  • Ineligible codeshares, like EY-marketed, EY-operated, AC-ticketed

Adam Smith's TODO list:
  • Add earning for VA
  • Check earning rates for AC basic economy
Print Wikipost

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It may be worth me setting up an auto-deploy script so I don't need to worry about it any more.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It may be worth me setting up an auto-deploy script so I don't need to worry about it any more.
Or should I just start gathering the data and batching my pull requests rather than putting a new one through each time?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Or should I just start gathering the data and batching my pull requests rather than putting a new one through each time?
Oh I haven't deployed anything today, so don't worry about it. But there's a reasonable chance I forget before I pull out my personal laptop (if I even get on it today). Continuous deployment shouldn't be too hard to set up, and would just eliminate the whole need.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Cool, thanks! I almost took that flight a few weeks back, but had a very tiring few days leading up to it and took non-stop YUL-YYC in a pod over YUL-YQB-YYC all on rouge narrowbody J. I was worried no one was going to snag that mileage before the route disappeared
​​​​​​YQB-YYC: decent schedule both ways and nice service in Rouge J for 4-hour flights. 2 returns under my belt last month.

Will try to get SQM data for non-stops YQB-YVR (May 2022), YQB-FLL and YQB-CUN.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM; Bonvoy Tit; Accor Dia
SA: JNB-CPT: 789 (was 788) + 197 COS for J

48 hours to post. Nice service by SAA all the way, including the domestic lounge at JNB. They should see a good revenue increase, now that ComAir (a BA affiliate) has folded.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:41 pm

Dub-yvr - 4446
Adam Smith and PaulYK like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:13 pm

Bru-kgl 3948
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:01 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Checking on some future potential itineraries I noticed that the calculator shows DEN-DFW as 960 miles (distance source Aeroplan) but the great circle mapper only shows 641 miles. Has anyone recently flown DEN-DFW vv. to confirm the correct distance?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
Checking on some future potential itineraries I noticed that the calculator shows DEN-DFW as 960 miles (distance source Aeroplan) but the great circle mapper only shows 641 miles. Has anyone recently flown DEN-DFW vv. to confirm the correct distance?
That piece of data was supplied by @MillennialMiles. I presume he flew a J fare and just gave the total miles, not the base miles, because 960 / 1.5 = 640, which would be logical. But perhaps he could confirm.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:39 am

Yeah that's definitely wrong.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
Was going back through a few recent flights and found 2 to add/update

UA, IAD - BRU is 3877
AC, YSJ - YUL is 381

And I see I got beat to the punch on BRU - KGL
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Yeah that's definitely wrong.
Maybe should add a test that the manual value can't be > some percentage (10%?) off from the haversine value?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Quail
Maybe should add a test that the manual value can't be > some percentage (10%?) off from the haversine value?
That's...an awesome idea
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:44 am
Original Poster

That's...an awesome idea
Is it much work to build? Usually these things are pretty clear.

Although if we ever get more people contributing directly via GitHub and I'm no longer using my mental framework that catches most of these things, it would be more valuable.

The threshold could probably be set much tighter than 10%. I don't know that I've ever seen one off by more than 5%. I was going to say 1%, because even that kind of deviation is pretty uncommon, but on the rare <250-mile routes where we get the true Aeroplan distance thanks to a non-status person, even a mile or two would trip that.

Would it be better to make it a fixed number of miles? Even really long routes are rarely off by more than about 20 from haversine. Then again, 20 miles on the 37-mile YYJ-YVR route would be a huge mistake.

Or both? Flag it if it's off by either >2% or >20 miles?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:40 am

Is it much work to build?
No. I'm at work right now, without my personal laptop, so I'm somewhat limited in what I can do, but it shouldn't take much effort.

Usually these things are pretty clear.
And yet here we are

Although if we ever get more people contributing directly via GitHub and I'm no longer using my mental framework that catches most of these things, it would be more valuable.
In the software world, it's always better to automate this stuff.

The threshold could probably be set much tighter than 10%. I don't know that I've ever seen one off by more than 5%. I was going to say 1%, because even that kind of deviation is pretty uncommon, but on the rare <250-mile routes where we get the true Aeroplan distance thanks to a non-status person, even a mile or two would trip that.

Would it be better to make it a fixed number of miles? Even really long routes are rarely off by more than about 20 from haversine. Then again, 20 miles on the 37-mile YYJ-YVR route would be a huge mistake.

Or both? Flag it if it's off by either >2% or >20 miles?
Yeah, I was thinking about just trying different values to see how far off anything is. If nothing is off by more than 2% or 20 miles, then those will be the thresholds.
Quail likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.