Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You still flew in PE from YYZ to Asia, correct? Or were you booked the whole way on a different airline? So as ChrisA330 says, you'll get some prorated refund which is probably not very much. Not ideal, I know.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
AC only provides actual PE service on a few routes between US and Canada. What was the "City in the US"? We're you actually booked in PE on the NA segment?
You are correct. I checked my reservation. It says "Premium Economy - Mixed cabin"

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You still flew in PE from YYZ to Asia, correct? Or were you booked the whole way on a different airline? So as ChrisA330 says, you'll get some prorated refund which is probably not very much. Not ideal, I know.
Sorry for the confusion.

Original Booking: ATL-YYZ-ICN on AC "Premium Economy - Mixed cabin" YYZ-ICN PE

ATL-YYZ was cancelled

I was rebooked to KE ATL-ICN (E class). I actually asked ATL-ORD or IAH or DEN-SFO-ICN UA/UA/OZ or UA since I can sit on E+ on UA flight. However, the agent told me that he did see that routing option on the AC system.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 7, 2021 at 2:55 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: AC 75K
Given this, AC will follow the rules outlined in their Tariffs here: https://www.aircanada.com/content/da..._Tariff_en.pdf

You can go here to send a complaint to Customer Relations for review of any compensation and/or refunds: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...r-support.html
CanuckAV8R likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
You are entitled to a refund of the difference between Premium Economy and Economy.
What that means, and what the difference is, will be a battle between you and AC, since some Y fares can be higher than PE fares.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by poohhead80
Sorry for the confusion.
Original Booking: ATL-YYZ-ICN on AC "Premium Economy - Mixed cabin" YYZ-ICN PE
Good luck getting a (small) refund from AC, like the previous poster said, sometimes Y and PY are not much of a difference...

Why would you choose to fly AC? Was it cheaper? AC is notorious for luring ex-USA traffic in with lower prices than the competition, now you know why.

One thing you should do - is write to United to get credit for the flight in your account based on the "original routing credit". That is a lot of PQPs.
They've always been accomodating when AC messes up and I end up on other airlines.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:01 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
One thing you should do - is write to United to get credit for the flight in your account based on the "original routing credit". That is a lot of PQPs.
They've always been accomodating when AC messes up and I end up on other airlines.
Thank you. I will definitely request "original routing credit".

I did 5 or 6 ICN-ATL roundtrips every year before COVID. I usually took United ICN-SFO-DEN-ATL / ATL-SFO-ICN.
United cut ATL-SFO morning flight so that one day connection is not possible any more. PEK connections with OZ are not available. So I tried AC this time.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Schedule change: policy on rebooking

So, question is: if AC has a schedule change of 24 hours or more, on an overseas booking (in J, if that matters), what are you entitled to ask for in terms of rebooking? I was told that if the original booking was overwater with AC, then any new booking must be overwater on AC too. However, what does that mean in real terms? If I was flying YYC-YYZ-DOH for example, can I ask for YYC-LHR-DOH where LHR-DOH is on another airline (because the overwater is YYC-LHR on AC)? Does the "other airline" that I ask for after the overwater portion need to be *A? Anybody (like BA)? An airline with regular codeshares? Or something in between? Or neither? Meaning could I ask for somebody with no relationship with AC at all like Emirates?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 7, 2021 at 12:09 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Sep 7, 2021, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ridefar
So, question is: if AC has a schedule change of 24 hours or more, on an overseas booking (in J, if that matters), what are you entitled to ask for in terms of rebooking?
See the second post of this thread. APPR theoretically entitles you to be re-booked on a "reasonable" itinerary on "any" airline.

But in practice...

I was told that if the original booking was overwater with AC, then any new booking must be overwater on AC too. However, what does that mean in real terms? If I was flying YYC-YYZ-DOH for example, can I ask for YYC-LHR-DOH where LHR-DOH is on another airline (because the overwater is YYC-LHR on AC)? Does the "other airline" that I ask for after the overwater portion need to be *A? Anybody (like BA)? An airline with regular codeshares? Or something in between? Or neither? Meaning could I ask for somebody with no relationship with AC at all like Emirates?
That's essentially what the AC schedule change policy, issued to AC staff and TAs, mandates.
ridefar likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 3:13 am

I am about to take AC16 from HKG to YYZ next week. When I bought the ticket in Jul, the departure time was 13:55. In Aug, AC changed the departure to 13:20 and I accepted the change. I just found out yesterday the departure is now changed to 10:25. Is it possible to ask for a refund or change of date without paying the fare difference because the new departure time is now more than 3 hours from the original time when I purchased the ticket?
Old Sep 12, 2021, 6:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
gisanim you can always ask. I don't know the rule, but this is marginal and worth trying even if there were reports of people not getting satisfaction.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: AC P25K
I had a redeye flight be canceled (YVR-YYZ-EWR, seems they got rid of the redeye widebody altogether), and their new schedule put me on an earlier flight forcing an overnight in YYZ, then the YYZ-EWR flight in the morning

Called Aeroplan (was a latitude reward booking), they wouldn't provide overnight hotel due to covid, is this normal or should I be pushing them? (schedule change of 3+ hours if that matters)
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by danhslee
Called Aeroplan (was a latitude reward booking), they wouldn't provide overnight hotel due to covid, is this normal or should I be pushing them?
If you have any reasonable expectation, it should be booking you from origin to destination in your ticketed cabin on AC metal +/- 3 days.

I've had numerous schedule changes on numerous airlines, and the only times I've ever had hotels provided were during IRROPS when I was stuck in transit. And in my worst situation, I was *G in J - and that often wasn't enough.

Anything done within North America more than 24 hours in advance, I'd have basically zero expectations.

Originally Posted by danhslee
(schedule change of 3+ hours if that matters)
That entitles you to a rebooking or refund.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I called the other night to cancel my October Korea trip. A concierge picked up.

At the time of my call, I had UN segments on one date and TK segments on another date, so there had been a massive schedule change.

I told him I wanted a refund, and he said he'd have to put me on hold.

After a few minutes...

"Sir, I've been told that your ticket is non-refundable, so we can't issue a refund. Refunds require a three hour schedule change."
(at this point I noticed he'd resolved the schedule change, so I was HK everywhere)
"... when I called, the PNR showed cancelled segments on the 17th, rebooked to the 18th. That's a 24 hour change."
"That's not a schedule change, because we no longer operate flights on the 17th."
"... it's a 24 hour change, and I want a refund."
"Is the new date inconvenient for you?"
"... yes"

He put me on hold again, then came back to say he'd done me a big favor by refunding it, as it was not within policy.

You know, the 3 hour policy he'd just quoted me. With my 24 hour change.

I need to start recording these calls.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I called the other night to cancel my October Korea trip. A concierge picked up.

At the time of my call, I had UN segments on one date and TK segments on another date, so there had been a massive schedule change.

I told him I wanted a refund, and he said he'd have to put me on hold.

After a few minutes...

"Sir, I've been told that your ticket is non-refundable, so we can't issue a refund. Refunds require a three hour schedule change."
(at this point I noticed he'd resolved the schedule change, so I was HK everywhere)
"... when I called, the PNR showed cancelled segments on the 17th, rebooked to the 18th. That's a 24 hour change."
"That's not a schedule change, because we no longer operate flights on the 17th."
"... it's a 24 hour change, and I want a refund."
"Is the new date inconvenient for you?"
"... yes"

He put me on hold again, then came back to say he'd done me a big favor by refunding it, as it was not within policy.

You know, the 3 hour policy he'd just quoted me. With my 24 hour change.

I need to start recording these calls.
Is change of equipment and change of carrier an allowable cancellation item?
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:18 am

Hi,
I`ve booked HAM-FRA (LH) FRA-YUL-SJO (AC) SJO-YUL (AC) YUL-ZRH-HAM(LX) in November. It is an Air Canada ticket and Air Canada just canceled YUL-SJO-YUL. Would AC rebook on HAM-FRA-SJO (LH) return ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.