Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Super Elite members will receive complimentary in-flight refreshments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2021, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Dear Super Elites,

In typical Air Canada fashion, FAs still have ZERO idea about this perk. As such, you will need to be proactive about this perk if you want to benefit from it. There is a very high likelihood that you will not be offered anything if you do not inquire.

Be prepared to be met with a big fat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yyzn.

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Super Elite members will receive complimentary in-flight refreshments

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2020, 1:02 am

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Bang on. Little tolerance anymore for AC's rubbery omelets or hockey puck hard steaks on board.

At YVR, head over to the Fairmont Hotel, Globe Restaurant - food excellent with great views, although expect premium prices. Routinely have early dinner here with spouse when outbound to LHR on evening flight, or even breakfast when going east mid-morning.

Get NEXUS card though as this will get your through security pretty quick..

safe travels.
Exactly! Even Monks is a better choice (which isnt saying much) over free.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Can we pay the difference (if more than $6.95) if we want a more expensive alcoholic beverage?
See above. Based on my experience with the pre-paid coupons, the answer is: yes, discount is worth $0, or everything you want will be free. In about equal levels.
​​

Last edited by RangerNS; Oct 31, 2020 at 11:38 am
Old Nov 29, 2020, 9:51 am
Original Member

So it's come to this?

There was a time, not so long ago, that this thread would have seemed to me to be an April 1 thing.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
See above. Based on my experience with the pre-paid coupons, the answer is: yes, discount is worth $0, or everything you want will be free. In about equal levels.
​​
Probably the kind of think where someone in the marketing department (or whichever team designs the loyalty program) that dreamed up something like:
"The flight attended will walk up to the SE, personally thank them for flying Air Canada to-day and say, as a token of our appreciation can I get you a complementary drink."
By the time it is implemented in loses all sense of being a good host and has as much elegance as a grocery store discount coupon except the cashier does not know how to ring it up so its either full price or free.
YYCScott likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 9:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm in the not wanting to be nickeled and dimed camp.

And while yes, I could expense things, there is some upper limit. Its all nods and winks and billed through so no one cares except that one guy... Id just as soon stock up on "free" things, airline and hotel lounges, and play the price is right expense game with actually quality product (nothing in any airport anywhere qualifying)
Late to reply, but may add a 3rd view on it.

I often pay more for AC/Flex in order to have status and then I don't expense meals and drinks that I would normally at airport (because I use the lounges). Same.for sleeping in J going to LHR, getting a shower and breakfast on arrival and head straight to work. The savings the company gets by me not expensing many meals with alcohol plus time saved offsets the extra they sometimes pay for me to get Flex and/or fly AC.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
Late to reply, but may add a 3rd view on it.The savings the company gets by me not expensing many meals with alcohol plus time saved offsets the extra they sometimes pay for me to get Flex and/or fly AC.
The other benefit to you is that those free lounge f&b aren't a taxable benefit while an expensed meal+alcohol would be. Sucks to pay ~43% in tax on that airport/hotel meal when you can't get it included in the rate.

Adam Smith is correct below: the above generally isn't a taxable benefit.

Last edited by tecate55; Nov 30, 2020 at 9:55 pm
Old Nov 30, 2020, 3:07 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tecate55
The other benefit to you is that those free lounge f&b aren't a taxable benefit while an expensed meal+alcohol would be. Sucks to pay ~43% in tax on that airport/hotel meal when you can't get it included in the rate.
Keeping in mind that this should not devolve in to a discussion of the tax code, but meals consumed by a business traveller are not a taxable benefit for the traveller.

My eating the free food from airline lounges or sitting up front on upgrades has definitely saved my employers thousands of dollars over the years, so I can see this perk adding to that value proposition for those making the case to their bosses about the value of status. It's not worth a ton, but every bit counts.
The Lev and tecate55 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I never really saw this as an "SD unwillingly forced to kiss SE butt and then provide snack"... this could simply be "SE gets snack dumped on their lap from disgruntled Y FA who is reading off PIL".

I think it's as basic as that.

And if so, I'll take it.

But if it is really SD making small talk or platitudes or whatever... then bonus?

There are SDs who genuinely care and will approach the SE/SM/XE/XM in Y and chat with them and thank them for their loyalty etc. etc. etc. That definitely does happen (albeit rarely), but it's still always a nice touch.

Heck, I've been approached by an SD while previously E75K and thanked for my Million Miles. So yeah, it can happen out of genuine care.
bigev007 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
SE Perk: Free Drink and Snack

I thought I read about it here but even with search function I could not find anything. So Google sent me here: https://onemileatatime.com/air-canad...snack-economy/

Air Canada Super Elite members will receive complimentary in-flight refreshments, which wasn’t a benefit before. Here are the details of this new perk:

This perk will kick in when the Air Canada Bistro service is reintroduced onboard (Air Canada currently has very limited service due to the pandemic)
Eligible passengers can enjoy one free alcoholic drink and one free snack item when traveling on Air Canada, Air Canada Express, or Air Canada Rouge, in economy class
Drinks up to a value of $6.95 are eligible, and when it comes to food, fresh snack options (such as sandwiches and salads) aren’t eligible
Bistro Service is back on-board from what I saw in the app, but I learned that it was only for pre-purchased packages (not available for sale during flight).

I asked the FA about the SE perk, I did not remember exactly all the details (i.e. $ limit, one snack, etc.) I just asked if there was some kind of free drink for SE. She had no clue what I was talking about, her first answer was that there was no alcohol on board and no bistro (only pre-purchase).

After a while though she came back and offered a drink (beer/wine), saying she checked with colleagues and did not have a clear answer on the new perks.

Anyone had similar experience? Did I just get lucky and the perk is actually not "active"? I was looking at the old bistro coupons on the altitude website, but I guess they don't exist anymore.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
her first answer was that there was no alcohol on board and no bistro (only pre-purchase).
Which flight/route was this?

wrt to the SE comp snack, you are the latest to report anything remotely close, if at all...
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
They said it would start once bistro service resumed. That has not happened.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bistro Service is back on-board from what I saw in the app, but I learned that it was only for pre-purchased packages (not available for sale during flight).
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They said it would start once bistro service resumed. That has not happened.
Perhaps AC forgot to leave out the "full service Bistro", or however you want to define in-flight Bistro cart service.

GDIT we need a functioning-designated-official AC lurker back here again (not the ones that peruse FT without posting).
mileageking likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Perhaps AC forgot to leave out the "full service Bistro", or however you want to define in-flight Bistro cart service.

GDIT we need a functioning-designated-official AC lurker back here again (not the ones that peruse FT without posting).
The current offerings are not "bistro service".
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just going off what theBeachBoy said - perhaps you could've told him that initially? wonk wonk!
Old Jan 5, 2021, 8:22 pm

On the app it is clearly labeled bistro and from the app you had a link to this PDF: https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/documents/PDF/2017_ac_cafe_menu.pdf

But it was still called bistro

It was MCO-YUL AC925

I can't see it back in the app since flight is past

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.