Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Super Elite members will receive complimentary in-flight refreshments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2021, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Dear Super Elites,

In typical Air Canada fashion, FAs still have ZERO idea about this perk. As such, you will need to be proactive about this perk if you want to benefit from it. There is a very high likelihood that you will not be offered anything if you do not inquire.

Be prepared to be met with a big fat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yyzn.

Print Wikipost

Air Canada Super Elite members will receive complimentary in-flight refreshments

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:07 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
One thing no one here has brought up so far: the $6.95 cap. Weren't most alcoholic beverages more than that (been a long time since I looked at the menu)? If so, to what is this actually going to entitle an SE, a Canadian?

Originally Posted by caziz
Take note of your title being plural and in the benefits it being singular... The 7 drinks for free that some will hope for will not be the case
Those two things are not necessarily contradictory. An SE presumably will take multiple flights on which they'll be eligible for this benefit, so one refreshment (singular) translates to receiving complimentary in-flight refreshments (plural) throughout the year of SE status

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
For the novices like me, is a maybe $40 of free drinks honestly a big deal to SE holders? As a comparison, I happily go outside the MLL if I want an actual meal (which with a drink costs that much) to avoid the MLL "food" offering .
Am I an outlier?
$40? I think you underestimate how much many SEs fly and/or drink

Then again, if turboprop flights aren't eligible, many SEs may not have much of a chance to get a lot of value out of it after all.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 28, 2020 at 6:56 pm Reason: Fixed quote
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
One thing no one here has brought up so far: the $6.95 cap. Weren't most alcoholic beverages more than that (been a long time since I looked at the menu)? If so, to what is this actually going to entitle an SE, a Canadian?
Page 9 on https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EUr...MnjHNQYUb/view (yes, I keep a copy in Google Drive, which works out well now since they seem to have pulled it from their site).

The basic red/white wine, Canadian / Coors Light, and any liquor other than JW / Glenlivet / Grey Goose.
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:55 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Page 9 on https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EUr...MnjHNQYUb/view (yes, I keep a copy in Google Drive, which works out well now since they seem to have pulled it from their site).

The basic red/white wine, Canadian / Coors Light, and any liquor other than JW / Glenlivet / Grey Goose.
Thanks, I did go hunting for that on the AC site, but only found a much older one

So, it will be an underwhelming selection. I wonder whether it will be possible to simply pay the price difference between one's chosen beverage and $6.95, or whether it will be free dreck or nothing.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Depending on the particular flight waitress one gets the limit will be interpreted as a discount, of zero value if you go over, or close enough that you get whatever you want for free up to some personal threshold.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Yes, I probably did underestimate how much time the SEs spend in Y.
Last couple of years, even on longer flights, FA seem to have become more responsible with their passengers aka stingy. I have found it a chore to get even a 3rd drink in Y on a 5 hour flight. As usual, you folks are probably more adept.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
If someone can spend $20K on AC, I am pretty sure they can afford to buy a $7 sandwich, or beverage, on an airplane. At the same time, I appreciate the benefit especially those days when you are hungry and stuck in Y.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 10:27 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
If someone can spend $20K on AC, I am pretty sure they can afford to buy a $7 sandwich, or beverage, on an airplane. At the same time, I appreciate the benefit especially those days when you are hungry and stuck in Y.
I'm sure there are at least two or three of us out there whose AQD comes mainly from OPM (Other People's Money), and in that case yeah, a $10 benefit on 40-50 flights a year might be a welcome bonus.
martyYOW and bigev007 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
OPM. I had a pretty good run of hitting my upgrades the last 6 months of the before times, but I've done 120 segment years with 100 segments "being stuck in Y", which is what was paid for, and expected.

ceteris paribus, that means $700 more I could spend OPM on, like actually good meals.

its a welcome addition
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by LesDorgo
I like this as it will make the flight attendants thank the SE for there loyalty.
The SD, if inclined to do so, is the one that comes around and thanks SEs in Y. It's a nice touch when that happens, albeit rarely.

FAs just chuck your food on your flimsy Y table when they see that you're eligible for an offering.

But, if the perk actually includes the SD coming around to thank SEs (or maybe begrudging FAs), then bonus?
Old Oct 29, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by yyznomad
If the perk actually includes the SD coming around to thank SEs (or maybe begrudging FAs), then bonus?
Maybe it's the introvert in me, but every time a member of flight crew has come to my seat to thank me for being an elite member, whether on AC, Delta or Cathay, the whole interaction has felt awkward as hell and I just want to be left to my book.

...or maybe it's the 75K / Diamond in me, and I just feel like a fraud...
KenHamer and vectrox like this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
I generally have to tell the FAs that I shouldn't be charged for a drink when travelling on a CO fare, so I do wonder whether they'll be proactively offering these drinks, or whether the onus will be on SE flyers to order, and then remind FAs to check their sheets.
YYC3722 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Ya often with LT07 I've had to fight for it. Usually on Express (not usually in Y otherwise). I've even had the FA's tell me it doesn't apply to Express, even though it's printed on the BP? I've had other Express FA's just say "oh you're SE have as much as you want it's all free."

I have an express flight today, I would guess this hasn't started yet.
YYC3722 and talkeryxu like this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 11:10 am
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
KenHamer and visitor like this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 11:10 am
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Can we pay the difference (if more than $6.95) if we want a more expensive alcoholic beverage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.