Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by ireman
Hello

i look everywhere but nobody seem to talk about that change. It's seem that the new Reserve Card became a Credit Card instead of charge card like the Aeroplan platinum was ?
Aeroplan Reserve Card
Card Type: Credit Card
Annual fee: $599
Annual Interest Rate:19.99% on purchases and 21.99% on advances*

And the other one :
Aeroplan Card
Card Type: Charge Card*. No preset spending limit Annual fee: $120
i look and copy what's on the Amex website
The previous (discontinued) Amex Reserve Aeroplan card was a credit card as well.

Ron.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
None of the AMEX new Aeroplan cards have the Nexus rebate & Mobile device insurance perks, while the AMEX Aeroplan has no travel medical insurance at all. On the flip side, the AMEX cards do earn more per $, and as such might still work out better for those not seeing any value in the TD/CI perks.

Subsequently, and unless you only travel as a family and only within N. America, even the first checked bag perk would not sweeten the deal (anyway included for Int'l travel), while any of AMEX Gold/Platinum would still work better in most cases...
Old Aug 30, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
You can still use an AE Visa card for Costco purchases; it just takes some planning. I do most of my Costco shopping on costco.ca, which accepts Visa. For the times I feel like making my way to a Costco store, I just order Costco gift cards on costco.ca, which I purchase with my Visa. When Costco switched from Amex to MC, I wasn't about to get a MC just to shop there.
Options I didnt think about before, but we doà have MC so we haven't had to work around much.
2 questions though. How does Amex treat those purchases? Guessing not as groceries or gas. So no double bonus. Can you use gift cards for gas?
Old Aug 30, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Options I didnt think about before, but we doà have MC so we haven't had to work around much.
2 questions though. How does Amex treat those purchases? Guessing not as groceries or gas. So no double bonus. Can you use gift cards for gas?
It's not Amex. Costco.ca accepts Visa and MC. I just get the normal 1.25 Aeroplan miles per dollar spent on the TD Aeroplan Infinite Privilege card. It is not classed as a Grocery retailer by Visa.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Sorry, I was talking at crossed purposes. The old Amex reward (I think new one still) got you double for gas and groceries, our biggest recurring line items, so it was a different ballgame when you could drop that at Costco and migrate points. But yes, AE benefits are still there for Visa if worked properly as you say. Have to confess we routinely leave points/benefits on the table for the sake of convenience.
Can you use Costco gift cards at the pump? That is a big spend for us. They are 5 mins away and on the way to/from work so it's easy to access, plus their premium pricing is usually waaaay cheaper.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
There's an Amex "waitlist" reward of 5k/10k if you just submit your e-mail address and then get the cards in november. sure, why not.
lsquare and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Not sure if this has been addressed or even brought up in the thread...

With the separation of spendable Aeoplan points and Aeroplan Status Miles, combined with the fact that Aeroplan awards can now be 'purchased' into different product buckets (Standard, Flex, Latitude, etc) and they receive benefits of those buckets, is it unreasonable to think that they should earn Aeroplan Status Miles/Segments? (but no spendable points)
This would be a significant positive for the program and I don't think it really costs Air Canada any actual money, other than enabling some to achieve a higher status without buying a ticket. But like the CC spend contributing to status, it doesn't help with AQD so they know that all status levels have their minimum spend.

Thoughts on why this would be good/bad idea from AC standpoint?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by shawneve

With the separation of spendable Aeoplan points and Aeroplan Status Miles, combined with the fact that Aeroplan awards can now be 'purchased' into different product buckets (Standard, Flex, Latitude, etc) and they receive benefits of those buckets, is it unreasonable to think that they should earn Aeroplan Status Miles/Segments? (but no spendable points)
This would be a significant positive for the program and I don't think it really costs Air Canada any actual money, other than enabling some to achieve a higher status without buying a ticket. But like the CC spend contributing to status, it doesn't help with AQD so they know that all status levels have their minimum spend.

I think we will hear more about this. What happens if you use 60% miles and 40% cash? What's the SQM/SQS then? It is reasonable to assume that if Aeroplan points are currency with a cash value, they also earn SQM and SQS. I don't see this as a problem given the unlimited SQS/SQM earning on CC. SQD will be the gate keeper on status.

Last edited by YXUFlyboy; Aug 31, 2020 at 10:22 am
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

From https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...policy-en.pdf:

Aeroplan members are ineligible to accrue Points or Status Qualifying Credit when travelling on Flight Reward. Members of partner frequent flyer programs are also ineligible to earn miles or points when travelling on a Flight Reward.
It's also not clear what benefits of the brands you actually receive, beyond redemption-specific change/cancellation fees. For example, it's been suggested (but not officially documented as far as I can see) that Business Flexible will get you into the SS, but Business Lowest will not. P fares get you into the SS. P fares are Business Lowest. So definitely don't assume a Latitude redemption will have that much in common with a B fare until AC publishes more details.

I don't see what AC would gain from it.

They lose the cost of whatever benefits you earn at the higher status level though.

Someone who spends $20k and earns 25K status has demonstrated being content with that proposition. If they can suddenly redeem a long-haul international flight and end up with 50K, AC now has to spend money every time they enter a lounge while flying Y.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:14 am

I asked the same question back in post 375 but it never really was discussed, other than the response pointing out that the T&C state that AQS/AQD will not be provided on reward tickets.

I'd love it if AQS/AQM could be awarded for reward flights (even if only on AC metal), but no AQD, etc. Hotel programs already provide night/stay credit, so this would follow the same concept.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
yeah would be a nice bone to throw us. Virgin Atlantic just started doing it for there award tickets. i get them not adding the AQD but a AQS or AQM shouldn't be too hard
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
From https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...policy-en.pdf:
They lose the cost of whatever benefits you earn at the higher status level though.

Someone who spends $20k and earns 25K status has demonstrated being content with that proposition. If they can suddenly redeem a long-haul international flight and end up with 50K, AC now has to spend money every time they enter a lounge while flying Y.
Yes, they would have the extra cost of someone achieving the higher status, but technically it was 'paid' for with points and those points are more closely tied to real money with the new system, especially on Air Canada metal. (Likely the only time you would earn Status miles if this was implemented)
Therefore one positive from AC standpoint is that it would encourage redemption on AC metal (likely at a higher average redemption cost than partners) which should result in lowered costs as I assume someone flying on award ticket costs AC less on their own planes than on partners.

I didn't realize AC released a new update for Nov 8th document.
Based on that explicitly calling out that awards do not earn points or MILES I'd say the chances are slim to none that they would do this.
I do believe that they missed an opportunity to add a very significant positive to the program that shouldn't cost them much money.
(and likely would be balanced out by other gains)
Aselwyn likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 22, 2021 at 5:15 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
Can you use Costco gift cards at the pump? That is a big spend for us. They are 5 mins away and on the way to/from work so it's easy to access, plus their premium pricing is usually waaaay cheaper.
Yes, you can use Costco cash cards at the fuel pump.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:15 am

Question on the interpretation of this from the Flight Reward Policy pdf:
"Mixed Cabin Itineraries
- Flight Reward pricing is based on the highest class of service in the itinerary, per direction of travel"

Does this mean that if I book a round trip (or two 'bounds') that includes all J one way but all economy on the way back that I won't be charged for an all J trip but half will be at the J rate and the other half at economy?
Today, it would be J points for the whole ticket, and if you want the lower cost you book two one-ways. If they base pricing per direction on a ticket, that's a little improvement. It helps with lowered costs for cancellation as that fee is per ticket, not per direction.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Question on the interpretation of this from the Flight Reward Policy pdf:
"Mixed Cabin Itineraries
- Flight Reward pricing is based on the highest class of service in the itinerary, per direction of travel"

Does this mean that if I book a round trip (or two 'bounds') that includes all J one way but all economy on the way back that I won't be charged for an all J trip but half will be at the J rate and the other half at economy?
Today, it would be J points for the whole ticket, and if you want the lower cost you book two one-ways. If they base pricing per direction on a ticket, that's a little improvement. It helps with lowered costs for cancellation as that fee is per ticket, not per direction.
correct.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.