Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
You must call in for stopovers, multi-city, or complicated routings, until the new booking system launches in 2021.

I hope others will significantly improve this wiki!

There are four zones: North America (inc Central), South America, Atlantic (including India and Western Russia), Pacific (inc Eastern Russia) and the chart is based which one you start from and which one you end up in, there's ten of these.

Cost is based on distance, which zone pair your flight is in, which class you are flying in.

Partner airlines (again) are a better deal because while Air Canada will calculate cost on a wide ranges but partner airlines are fixed to the bottom of the range.

YQ is eliminated. There's a 39 CAD fee for booking a ticket which contains a flight on a partner airline. Aside from this, there's no incentive any more to book a return flight it seems and every incentive not to.
Note: The partner booking fee is refundable, so it's basically a YQ, rather than a booking fee.

Most flights are devalued. However, the elimination of YQ sweetens this significantly. Within North America, a lot of flights became cheaper, YVR-HNL very significantly. YVR-TYO is much cheaper while YVR-AKL is a little cheaper.

A vastly more powerful booking system is promised for 2021.

There are a lot of new tricks to be learned. https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-flight-rewards/ is a good start.

Information that is harder to find:
  • SE IKK redemption from the old program can be changed ("within reason") without repricing. Dates, routings, no problem. Origin/destination should be fine. But nothing that would have required a repricing under the old program. This is from Mark Nasr in https://www.facebook.com/pointsmiles...44878252851420
  • The "Activity" page only shows you the most recent ~48 transactions. See this post for information on how to get older data.
  • A partial refund may not be possible (e.g. if you book RT and outbound flight is cancelled by you or AC, to delete the first flight segment, you have to cancel the entire ticket and rebook the inbound at a potentially higher fare. It seems supervisor can grant exceptions.)
Print Wikipost

2020 Air Canada Aeroplan Program

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by visitor
I can understand why the pass is limited to Y, but why can't they allow me to buy my J ticket and have the companion max out in Y? I can then eupgrade them to J. But if I have to buy Y, then I have to eupgrade both of us, and they lose out on the fare difference...
Even that doesn't work for me because I don't want to use up a nominee slot for it.

Originally Posted by The Lev
I wonder if departing from YYZ and returning to YTZ would be considered the "origin". I suspect yes given that you can now do booking to YTO, NYC, LON and TYO rather than designating the specific airport.

For canadiancow , instead of going to LAX and Seattle, maybe you could use SJC and MRY.
SJC is co-terminal so it won't work. SEA/LAX-SFO are significantly cheaper than MRY due to the insane competition. A quick check showed 109 for SEA vs 237 for MRY, not that I'd be taking the Y option.

I actually have 2 VIP cards (one personal, one work). I haven't had the time to digest the new rules, but I would look at whether I still get value from the higher spend multiplier for the card, and whether I am likely to get value out of the companion pass rewards...
I have US cards. No Canadian card has an even remotely appealing spend multiplier. I get more points per dollar booking AC.com with Chase or US Amex than with a high-end Aeroplan card.

The companion pass could be interesting, but I can't see myself booking below Latitude. I'll often book PY for me+1 because even UA*G in PY is pretty high on the upgrade list, but I don't want to put a UA*G in Y unless I can confirm immediately.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Even that doesn't work for me because I don't want to use up a nominee slot for it.

The companion pass could be interesting, but I can't see myself booking below Latitude. I'll often book PY for me+1 because even UA*G in PY is pretty high on the upgrade list, but I don't want to put a UA*G in Y unless I can confirm immediately.
Do you have any insight as to why they haven't considered allowing the revenue ticket to be in a premium cabin compared to the companion? If you buy PE fare or J Fare, companion maxes out at Latitude... or Premium$>Latitude$ to avoid fare inversion cases...
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

SJC is co-terminal so it won't work. SEA/LAX-SFO are significantly cheaper than MRY due to the insane competition. A quick check showed 109 for SEA vs 237 for MRY, not that I'd be taking the Y option.

I have US cards. No Canadian card has an even remotely appealing spend multiplier. I get more points per dollar booking AC.com with Chase or US Amex than with a high-end Aeroplan card.

It's pretty sad that even an Aeroplan VIP earn only 2pts/$ on AC fares.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Do you have any insight as to why they haven't considered allowing the revenue ticket to be in a premium cabin compared to the companion? If you buy PE fare or J Fare, companion maxes out at Latitude... or Premium$>Latitude$ to avoid fare inversion cases...
Because PNRs don't work that way.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 11:34 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Aug 14, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: AC 35k
My Diamond status just got swept to P25K, earlier than expected.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
My Diamond status just got swept to P25K, earlier than expected.
They've been doing these "sweeps" for 8+ months.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by Wallace Cashperson
The 50% off is going to be by far the best SE perk and singlehandedly makes these changes a net improvement for SE. The value is outrageous - you will get 5 tickets a year at 50% off, which could save you 500K+ miles a year.
I really fail to see how it is an improvement that I can get 5 PEOPLE (which could be one trip for a family) at rates already 2x in some cases what I pay now as opposed to be able to do that up to 10 times a year. And the guy who has a lot of CC spend basically now has the same value as a Super Elite. It seems to suggest to me they really don't see the same value in SE. Concierge is nice and all.. but...
visitor and nexusCFX like this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by yowcat
I really fail to see how it is an improvement that I can get 5 PEOPLE (which could be one trip for a family) at rates already 2x in some cases what I pay now as opposed to be able to do that up to 10 times a year. And the guy who has a lot of CC spend basically now has the same value as a Super Elite. It seems to suggest to me they really don't see the same value in SE. Concierge is nice and all.. but...
AFAIK, you can't spend your way to SE. None of the CCs offer SQD.
canadiancow and EdmFlyBoi like this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by lsquare
AFAIK, you can't spend your way to SE. None of the CCs offer SQD.
Sure you can - buy a six month unlimited Latitude flight pass and then have some "regular" spending on your credit card. For example a 6-month Ontario Regional Unlimited Lattitude pass costs $21,894. You've hit the $20,000 SQD requirement, it earns you 90,000 SQM and 4,000 bonus SQM on the black card. All you need to do is spend another $28,106 on your card for another 6,000 SQM and voila SE is yours without every setting foot on an aircraft.

Of course with an unlimited Latitude pass you just might be tempted to use the 48 hour window upgrade to J for free feature and take the odd trip.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 11:36 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Aug 15, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
So now that YQ is gone from Aeroplan awards - is AC also going to stop collecting fake US taxes on awards? I believe the excuse was Aeroplan was an agent (which is false, because Avios doesnt collect them). Namely wasnt it FACILITY CHARGE and US TRANSPORT TAX?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yowcat
Depends how much award travel flying you do. I think that the new vouchers are clearly of vastly higher value. I would rather fewer more valuable vouchers. I am realistically only going to take 1-2 big award trips a year (two trips w lady friend/a top bro = 4, maybe one solo trip?), and many years might have some vouchers left over at the end of the year. The old vouchers are nice, but I don't really want to do my long haul big ticket travel on AC anyway - fees were higher and the product is not as good.

Originally Posted by The Lev
Sure you can - buy a six month unlimited Latitude flight pass and then have some "regular" spending on your credit card. For example a 6-month Ontario Regional Unlimited Lattitude pass costs $21,894. You've hit the $20,000 SQD requirement, it earns you 90,000 SQM and 4,000 bonus SQM on the black card. All you need to do is spend another $28,106 on your card for another 6,000 SQM and voila SE is yours without every setting foot on an aircraft.

Of course with an unlimited Latitude pass you just might be tempted to use the 48 hour window upgrade to J for free feature and take the odd trip.
Lol are there even J class flights that stay inside ON??

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 29, 2021 at 11:38 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YYZ/YOW or YQT come to mind
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
So now that YQ is gone from Aeroplan awards - is AC also going to stop collecting fake US taxes on awards? I believe the excuse was Aeroplan was an agent (which is false, because Avios doesnt collect them). Namely wasnt it FACILITY CHARGE and US TRANSPORT TAX?
I did read somewhere that the US taxes will be NIL on what are truly free Aeroplan awards in the same way they wouldn't be charged by a US carrier on a transborder route for their reward tickets.

As far as whether Aeroplan was obligated to collect those fees previously I'm sure if some attorney thought there was a case to make we'd have seen a class-action long ago given the $MILLIONS at stake, so making assertions one way or the other is moot as no one has obtained a court-backed legal precedent. Only thing is, based upon the supposed AC/Aeroplan legal argument - that should have changed as soon as AC took full ownership of Aeroplan.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
YYZ-YOW and YYZ-YQT come to mind.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
What will be in it for SEs with this new Aeroplan program?

They launched the website a little early eh?

Edit: http://aircanada.com/aeroplan, since I'm feeling so generous after my spiced rum and Coke Zero, which I cannot currently get on board AC flights.

Edit: Chart shows some improvements (distance based within zones, fewer zones, allows something like YYZ-YOW or SFO-YVR to be cheaper). But lots of bad things. I'm unsure about how the new IKK works. I didn't realize it was capped to J. I'm also unsure about YQ on partners, based on wording.

Between your posts, other posts of your thread, the analysis by prince of travel - I can not see that much advantage for SEs with the new program compared to lower tiered passengers, if any (except perhaps continuing to have access to concierge service, longer upgrade windows and more upgrade credits. maybe better point multiplier then lower elite passengers (ie SE get the 4x multiplier)? It seems that IKK ? will be gone (ie the lower range of the point rewards available to SEs when these awards have already been used for a given flight?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.