Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Put me in coach, JETZ begin mainline service June 1 in YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Put me in coach, JETZ begin mainline service June 1 in YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Curious what logistical complexities would be present for a Jetz vs mainline A319 operation? Apart for the interior configuration, the planes require the same considerations, no? Same service, same handling, same equipment, same fuel, same gates, same crew etc.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
As CZAMFlyer mentioned, I don't think there are many serious logistical complexities.

My biggest concern would be a mechanical issue requiring a swap to a regular 319 where you now have, at best, 14 upgrades and 44 downgrades. But it seems like they only need 2 for this rotation, so they could easily keep a spare in each of YOW/YUL, and two in YYZ.
That, to me, is enough complexity to call into question why this is worth it. Especially as Adam points out:

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You're really struggling with math in this thread... 2 for the rotation + 1 spare in YOW + 1 spare in YUL + 2 spares in YYZ = 6 Jetz 319s required for your plan with the spares, but there are only 3 Jetz 319s
I basically have the same reaction Lucky does:

Why is Air Canada doing this, though?As Air Canada describes it, this is part of the carrier’s “ongoing effort to engage customers and bring forth new and innovative ideas.” Yeah, I’m not sure what exactly to make of this initiative:
  • Demand is virtually non-existent right now
  • While people probably like the concept of “social distancing” or less crowded planes, chances are that most leisure travelers don’t want to pay 3x the economy fare for a 45 minute flight
  • I could see the merit to a “business shuttle” in some of these markets during peak business times, but business travel is way down
  • While Air Canada has been doing a great job engaging customers through its loyalty program, I’m not sure how exactly this engages customers?
My only guess is that Air Canada is short of smaller mainline planes at this point, and demand is very limited. Air Canada is retiring A319s and most A320s are grounded, so is the airline at the point of just thinking “well, these flights won’t have more than a few dozen passengers anyway, so we might as well?”

I dunno, this is an odd one…
Old May 22, 2020, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You're really struggling with math in this thread... 2 for the rotation + 1 spare in YOW + 1 spare in YUL + 2 spares in YYZ = 6 Jetz 319s required for your plan with the spares, but there are only 3 Jetz 319s
Well none of these have been "math" mistakes. I just seem unable to read things like how many seats there are, or how many aircraft

So they keep the spare in YYZ, and if it goes mechanical in YOW or YUL, there's either a significant delay, or many unhappy downgraded passengers.

Doesn't sound like a great idea to me.
Old May 22, 2020, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Well none of these have been "math" mistakes. I just seem unable to read things like how many seats there are, or how many aircraft

So they keep the spare in YYZ, and if it goes mechanical in YOW or YUL, there's either a significant delay, or many unhappy downgraded passengers.

Doesn't sound like a great idea to me.
But with so much of the fleet parked right now, what happens if there's MX on a regular 319 or a 223? Do they have a spare sitting in YOW, or are they going to have to send a replacement from YYZ? I suspect the latter, which means no real difference in terms of IRROPs handling between the mainline and Jetz 319s.
Old May 22, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I really don't understand this. Who is going to pay for PY on these flights? No inflight service, just a bigger seat...while all other flights provide blocked seats in Y...

This would have been a great opportunity for AC to treat Y pax to a nicer ride.

I doubt it'll last long.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nave888
I really don't understand this. Who is going to pay for PY on these flights?
People who would otherwise pay even more for J?
Old May 22, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
People who would otherwise pay even more for J?
For me the key is who’s going to pay more for J on this route. There don’t seem to be many advantages given all the other restrictions... unless you really like the times of the other flights.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
In the olden days in coach .....

Meal service in PY on a 60 minute flight? I doubt it.
Horizon used to do a craft beer service on their SEA-YYJ 98 mile flight in the last millenium on their smaller Q400s.

Miss those days

Miss flying, period (really).
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:38 pm

But with so much of the fleet parked right now, what happens if there's MX on a regular 319 or a 223? Do they have a spare sitting in YOW, or are they going to have to send a replacement from YYZ? I suspect the latter, which means no real difference in terms of IRROPs handling between the mainline and Jetz 319s.
But swapping a mainline 319 to a 223 or CR9 or whatever they have sitting in YOW doesn't result in a mass downgrade of everyone. Do they have ANY spare aircraft in YOW? I don't know, but I hope so.
Old May 22, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
But swapping a mainline 319 to a 223 or CR9 or whatever they have sitting in YOW doesn't result in a mass downgrade of everyone. Do they have ANY spare aircraft in YOW? I don't know, but I hope so.
I mean I got a downgrade from a pod to a narrow body J seat YOW YYZ a few years ago. That’s pretty significant but stuff happens, didn’t even write in as it’s only 45 mins (or 1.5h as we got a red alert at YYZ), I only paid J as it was part of a TATL and the other 7h was what mattered most.
Old May 22, 2020, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
I mean I got a downgrade from a pod to a narrow body J seat YOW YYZ a few years ago. That’s pretty significant but stuff happens, didn’t even write in as it’s only 45 mins (or 1.5h as we got a red alert at YYZ), I only paid J as it was part of a TATL and the other 7h was what mattered most.
But that's not considered a downgrade by AC. Service is identical, and they don't market the wide-bodies differently on that route. You paid for J and received J.

This would be PY to Y, where you actually paid for PY, and received Y.
Old May 22, 2020, 4:19 pm

Usually, no. If they swap a plane in YOW due to a mechanical, it means another flight from YOW was cancelled.

I have no idea if they have any parked planes at YOW right now, but those probably couldn't be used at short notice anyway.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 5:45 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Now also bookable via AE for just 2500 miles more than Y:

[KVS Tool 9.8.4/Diamond - Awards/AC-StarAlliance/CA-Auto]
Code:
YUL  Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau/Dorval QC CA [CYUL]
YYZ  Toronto Lester B Pearson Intl ON CA [CYYZ]
MON  15 Jun 2020 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
AC         481     YUL   06:00     YYZ   07:20     223  0   YS+
AC         493     YUL   07:00     YYZ   08:19     319  0   WS+
AC         403     YUL   08:00     YYZ   09:20     320  0   YS+
AC         415     YUL   14:00     YYZ   15:20     320  0   YS+
AC         419     YUL   16:00     YYZ   17:20     320  0   CS+  YS+
AC         491     YUL   16:45     YYZ   18:04     319  0   WS+
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
I really don't understand this. Who is going to pay for PY on these flights? No inflight service, just a bigger seat...while all other flights provide blocked seats in Y...

This would have been a great opportunity for AC to treat Y pax to a nicer ride.

I doubt it'll last long.
It should be apparent to all that grounded aircraft do not generate revenue. Obviously somebody, somewhere sees an opportunity. Why don't we just see how it all pans out? It's already generated interest here.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
I really don't understand this. Who is going to pay for PY on these flights?
There are a few types of people:

1) Those who fly business on the Eastern Triangle Corridor between YYZ-YUL & YYZ-YOW.
2) Those that are flying business from Ottawa/Montreal to International destinations only served now ex-YYZ. They don't want a mix of economy and business, so this gives them a sense of upgrade for the short-haul segment.
3) Force those that need to travel at specific peak times to choose the higher priced O class ticket.
4) Stimulate demand/give passengers an option to view a better seat in the hopes that next time they are willing to pay a little more for the comfort they once had.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
It should be apparent to all that grounded aircraft do not generate revenue.
While I definitely agree with that, this just means they've grounded some other mainline aircraft instead, no? With the majority of the fleet parked, any aircraft they choose to fly means there's another that has to be grounded.

Originally Posted by YYC009
2) Those that are flying business from Ottawa/Montreal to International destinations only served now ex-YYZ. They don't want a mix of economy and business, so this gives them a sense of upgrade for the short-haul segment.
These people would have been in J on mainline, so this is actually a DOWNGRADE for the short-haul segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.