Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Put me in coach, JETZ begin mainline service June 1 in YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Put me in coach, JETZ begin mainline service June 1 in YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC E75K
What's the rationale for doing this? Why not just use regular aircraft (and block seats if the goal is social distancing)?
Old May 21, 2020, 8:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Exactly. Which is why I called out the poster who said it would work.
Social distancing is a made-up term with no universal meaning. In Canada, it started out at one metre. Then it became two. In the US, it's six feet, which is only 1.83 metres.

On an airplane, it has been deemed to be not having a blocked middle seat in Y, or being in J where there's greater space between seats to begin with.

The only thing that's relevant to this thread is that social distancing on a Jetz 319 is no worse than on another aircraft.

If you or the person who first brought it up have an issue with the practice as it's being generally implemented, that's for another thread or probably the coronavirus general forum.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 21, 2020 at 8:51 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old May 21, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's "safety theatre" to appease the masses of people who are gullible enough to believe it makes a difference.
This new safety theatre will likely permeate our travel experiences for an indeterminate length of time, even after a covid vaccine is available. Unlike the security theatre that never really went away following 9/11, I hope the ineffective temperature checks, mask wearing and other feel-good measures will be withdrawn.
This Jetz service makes use of unused aircraft, is right-sized to meet today's reduced demand, but prompts unsettling questions about whether they're offering a perceived 'safer' service for those willing to pay extra for it. None of us bemoan more comfort, service and flexibility in exchange for a higher airfare; but health & safety should not be something offered á la carte.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; May 22, 2020 at 6:47 am Reason: off topic
Old May 21, 2020, 8:41 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Social distancing is a made-up term with no univeral meaning. In Canada, it started out at one metre. Then it became two. In the US, it's six feet, which is only 1.83 metres.

On an airplane, it has been deemed to be not having a blocked middle seat in Y, or being in J where there's greater space between seats to begin with.

The only thing that's relevant to this thread is that social distancing on a Jetz 319 is no worse than on another aircraft.

If you or the person who first brought it up have an issue with the practice as it's being generally implemented, that's for another thread or probably the coronavirus general forum.
Social distancing is only useful outside 6 feet apart. I don't see a Jetz plane making any difference to ACs social distancing policy.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by capedreamer
What's the rationale for doing this? Why not just use regular aircraft (and block seats if the goal is social distancing)?
I get the feeling it's just to throw in the plane in the rotation so that it doesn't just sit forever.
MSPeconomist and capedreamer like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I get the feeling it's just to throw in the plane in the rotation so that it doesn't just sit forever.
I see it a little differently. This is a way for them to carry the same number of passengers, but market it in a more premium way, and therefore charge for it.

If you sell 80 seats in Y on a 319, you get 80 * X. If you sell 80 seats in PY on a Jetz 319, you get 80 * Y, where Y > X.
MSPeconomist and capedreamer like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you sell 80 seats in Y on a 319, you get 80 * X. If you sell 80 seats in PY on a Jetz 319, you get 80 * Y, where Y > X.
If you sell 80 seats on a Jetz 319, aren't you going to have to VDB/IDB 22 people? Seems like a losing business strategy
MSPeconomist, canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: AC E75K
I see it a little differently. This is a way for them to carry the same number of passengers, but market it in a more premium way, and therefore charge for it.

But does that incremental revenue really justify the logistical complexities of adding these non-standard birds into the rotation? Doesn't seem like something that would really move the needle.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
But does that incremental revenue really justify the logistical complexities of adding these non-standard birds into the rotation? Doesn't seem like something that would really move the needle.
Curious what logistical complexities would be present for a Jetz vs mainline A319 operation? Apart for the interior configuration, the planes require the same considerations, no? Same service, same handling, same equipment, same fuel, same gates, same crew etc.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; May 22, 2020 at 10:39 am Reason: Off topic
Old May 22, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks, a few post edits and/or deletions have been made to try and get this thread back on track but please note that this is not the venue to discuss either COVID-19 in general or the larger issues of social distancing. A deeper discussion on social distancing as it applies directly to AC should be carried on in the CleanCare+ thread since that is one part of the airline program. Posting off topic content may earn a poster a suspension of their posting privileges.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Cloud Lounger and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by tcook052; May 22, 2020 at 10:49 am
Old May 22, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...XIH7l6BGA83JAM

Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If you sell 80 seats on a Jetz 319, aren't you going to have to VDB/IDB 22 people? Seems like a losing business strategy
Good point. 58 PY vs 72 Y + 14 J. The math isn't as clear.

As CZAMFlyer mentioned, I don't think there are many serious logistical complexities.

My biggest concern would be a mechanical issue requiring a swap to a regular 319 where you now have, at best, 14 upgrades and 44 downgrades. But it seems like they only need 2 for this rotation, so they could easily keep a spare in each of YOW/YUL, and two in YYZ.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest they probably did the math and decided the revenue would be worth the cost.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Interesting that he put a lot of detail into this article

QUOTE:

Full article

https://onemileatatime.com/air-canad...-class-planes/
Old May 22, 2020, 12:50 pm

My biggest concern would be a mechanical issue requiring a swap to a regular 319 where you now have, at best, 14 upgrades and 44 downgrades. But it seems like they only need 2 for this rotation, so they could easily keep a spare in each of YOW/YUL, and two in YYZ.
You're really struggling with math in this thread... 2 for the rotation + 1 spare in YOW + 1 spare in YUL + 2 spares in YYZ = 6 Jetz 319s required for your plan with the spares, but there are only 3 Jetz 319s

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest they probably did the math and decided the revenue would be worth the cost.
I think it's an interesting way to see whether they can make money off lower load factors by selling it as PY and charging a premium.

Originally Posted by 24left
Interesting that he put a lot of detail into this article
Not like he has much else to write about these days
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Assume this would be Zone 2 for everyone who isn’t SE?
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.