FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Put me in coach, JETZ begin mainline service June 1 in YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2018185-put-me-coach-jetz-begin-mainline-service-june-1-yyz-yul-yow-triangle.html)

RangerNS May 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Put me in coach, JETZ begin mainline service June 1 in YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle

In the YYZ-YUL-YOW triangle, AC 490-499.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...nada-jetz.html

ChrisA330 May 21, 2020 6:06 pm

These flights are being sold as Premium Economy only.

aircanada_loyal May 21, 2020 6:23 pm

Interesting. Will they provide meal service, or water only? How will they ensure social distancing?

canadiancow May 21, 2020 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal (Post 32394279)
Interesting. Will they provide meal service, or water only? How will they ensure social distancing?

Meal service in PY on a 60 minute flight? I doubt it.

Adam Smith May 21, 2020 6:30 pm

Interesting that they're selling these as PE when it's J seating, and there's really no J service to speak of on flights that they're selling as J.

YEG USER May 21, 2020 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal (Post 32394279)

With only 58 seats on a 319, I don't think it's a concern. On the standard 319 there are 21 rows between J/Y (excludes row 1). Going with middle seat blocking, that allows for 84 pax. Deduct a few pax for mid-cabin emergency exit and you're at 82 pax (assuming all seats in J are full).

Density on Jetz aircraft is far less than what they're selling on other aircraft of the same type, plus I doubt the aircraft will be at full capacity.

mahasamatman May 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER (Post 32394321)
On the standard 319 there are 21 rows between J/Y (excludes row 1). Going with middle seat blocking, that allows for 84 pax.

Middle-seat blocking does not come even close to two-meter distancing. In a 319, even with only two people per row (in the window seats), an FA cannot make it through the cabin while maintaining the mandated distance.

codfather May 21, 2020 7:29 pm

That looks awesome! I have heard of Jetz aircraft being subbed in sometimes for random routes, but it is interesting for them to actually advertise this.

Cloud Lounger May 21, 2020 7:35 pm

I remember the pleasant surprise of getting on a YWG - YOW flight about 15 years ago to find it was a 2 - 2 all business class layout. Was it called Jetz back then? Pretty sure it was a 737.

Adam Smith May 21, 2020 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 32394370)
Middle-seat blocking does not come even close to two-meter distancing. In a 319, even with only two people per row (in the window seats), an FA cannot make it through the cabin while maintaining the mandated distance.

Social distancing to the two-meter standard isn't really feasible on an aircraft. Blocked middle seats seem to be where the industry has landed. In J, the space in between the two seats seems to have been deemed sufficient. So a Jetz 319 is basically just the same as the J cabin of a regular 32x.

tcook052 May 21, 2020 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger (Post 32394389)
I remember the pleasant surprise of getting on a YWG - YOW flight about 15 years ago to find it was a 2 - 2 all business class layout. Was it called Jetz back then? Pretty sure it was a 737.

Pretty sure it was and has been around since '01 so may have been subbed in on that route that day.

Guess this news isn't a huge surprise as the major pro sports in N.A.Jetz has been contracted to in the past are all idle or have limited restart plans.

mahasamatman May 21, 2020 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 32394403)
Social distancing to the two-meter standard isn't really feasible on an aircraft.

Exactly. Which is why I called out the poster who said it would work.

Blocked middle seats seem to be where the industry has landed.

And there is absolutely no difference between blocked middle seats and no blocking at all. It's "safety theatre" to appease the masses of people who are gullible enough to believe it makes a difference.

KVS May 21, 2020 8:19 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Seat Map shows Rear-Facing seats in row 11:

YEG USER May 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Social distancing to the two-meter standard isn't really feasible on an aircraft. Blocked middle seats seem to be where the industry has landed. In J, the space in between the two seats seems to have been deemed sufficient. So a Jetz 319 is basically just the same as the J cabin of a regular 32x.

Plus my understanding of the 2m rule is that it is the minimum distance recommended when there is no PPE in use. With the mandate that all pax wear face masks the 2m rule can likely be reduced (at least from the perspective of the airlines).

YEG USER May 21, 2020 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger (Post 32394389)

I had a similar experience about 8 years ago. YEG-YVR diverted to YYC. Subbed in a Jetz plane for those who actually ended up continuing to YVR (many pax were able to take alternate flights from YYC).