Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Originally Posted by BenSenise
... if i go to points.com now and look at the purchase price of 10,000 miles, it shows a TOTAL PRICE of $300. No mention of GST or PST.
Question: How did you do this? When I login to points.com now, I can't see an option to buy Aeroplan miles. When I click on the Aeroplan tile in my wallet,then click on "Program highlights and benefits", the window that opens up does not have a green dot beside the "Buy" option.
Old May 6, 2020, 4:35 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kenlor
Question: How did you do this? When I login to points.com now, I can't see an option to buy Aeroplan miles. When I click on the Aeroplan tile in my wallet,then click on "Program highlights and benefits", the window that opens up does not have a green dot beside the "Buy" option.
Go through the link on the Aeroplan website, which takes you directly to the page on points.com where you buy points.
kenlor likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Go through the link on the Aeroplan website, which takes you directly to the page on points.com where you buy points.
Ah, thanks Adam Smith!
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Or just click here: https://aeroplan.points.com/air-cana...plan/en-CA/buy
kenlor likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
if someone is Elite 50K, and they purchase 250,000 miles, will they be getting 1500 bonus AQM + 3000 bonus AQM + 20 eupgrade credits + $1000 bonus AQD + and Elite 75K status?

Looking forward for confirmation.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu
noone knows, but you need to account for the ~$1000 surcharges on most Aeroplan tickets to Europe.
I only redeem on airlines with minimal fuel surcharges.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
if someone is Elite 50K, and they purchase 250,000 miles, will they be getting 1500 bonus AQM + 3000 bonus AQM + 20 eupgrade credits + $1000 bonus AQD + and Elite 75K status?

No, because you'll only get 125K miles (50%) towards the Travel at Home promo.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:00 pm

If you earn 250k TAH-eligible miles, yes.

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
And this is where it's confusing. If you purchase 250k and receive the 115% bonus, then you'll have more than 250k credited to TAH.

However, if you purchase 120k, and after the 115% bonus you receive a bit over 250k, then you're correct in that you'll only have 125k credited.

Because it's a "bonus" it's very confusing having this discussion, because what you purchase is not what you receive.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Star Alliance - Gold, Bonvoy-Titanium, Hilton-Gold, Avis-President's Club
so, if 500k miles is purchased, then all of those will be awarded?

where do you see the 50% towards the travel at home promo?

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Old May 6, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
And this is where it's confusing. If you purchase 250k and receive the 115% bonus, then you'll have more than 250k credited to TAH.

However, if you purchase 120k, and after the 115% bonus you receive a bit over 250k, then you're correct in that you'll only have 125k credited.

Because it's a "bonus" it's very confusing having this discussion, because what you purchase is not what you receive.
Depends on how you interpret the word "purchase". The bonus miles are known in advance and integral to the decision to purchase. Therefore I would say that the "purchase" includes the bonus miles, so if I "purchased" 250K, I paid AC $3,489 (plus tax) and got 116,300 base miles and 133,745 bonus miles for a total of 250,045 miles.

Of course, there's another way to interpret "purchase", as you have, so it can definitely be confusing to talk about it.

But cow, in all our back-and-forth on this subject, we really haven't talked about the big question: are you and the bovine really going to be able to get up at 7AM tomorrow to make this purchase?
Flyingbunny88 likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Depends on how you interpret the word "purchase". The bonus miles are known in advance and integral to the decision to purchase. Therefore I would say that the "purchase" includes the bonus miles, so if I purchase 250K, I paid AC $3,489 (plus tax) and got 116,300 base miles and 133,745 bonus miles for a total of 250,045 miles.

Of course, there's another way to interpret "purchase", as you have, so it can definitely be confusing to talk about it.

But cow, in all our back-and-forth on this subject, we really haven't talked about the big question: are you and the bovine really going to be able to get up at 7AM tomorrow to make this purchase?
I'm getting up, attempting to purchase, then back to sleep. I wish this was a midnight EST sort of deal; those are awesome on the west coast.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:20 pm

so, if 500k miles is purchased, then all of those will be awarded?

where do you see the 50% towards the travel at home promo?
It's discussed in a number of posts upthread, and it's on the page on the Aeroplan page for purchasing miles.

If you purchase 500K miles (including the bonus), 250K will be credited towards Travel at Home.
Flyingbunny88 likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:26 pm

If you convert AMEX MR, let's say 100k points to 100k Aeroplan miles, does the 100k miles count towards aeroplan miles earned travel at home promo?

Originally Posted by jasdou
This could be an opportunity for those with the Amex Platinum card to take advantage of the Double Rewards promo, to effectively convert Amex MR points to Aeroplan at a higher rate than normal.

Normally, you could convert 100,000 Amex MR points to 100,000 Aeroplan miles if you wanted to, at no extra cost.

Now, taking advantage of the 115% bonus miles sales, you can buy those 100,000 miles for 0.014CAD per mile, meaning the purchase will cost you 1400 CAD. You can then redeem Amex MR points against this purchase, at a rate of 1000 points : 20 CAD, which means you would need 70,000 Amex MR points to offset the 1400 CAD purchase. Effectively, this means you can convert Amex MR points to Aeroplan miles at a rate of 1:1.4 if you go down this route. I have omitted the sales taxes but you can adjust the numbers as needed depending on your local tax regime.

The downside is that you are losing out on the Travel at Home promo because if you transfer directly MR -> AE, 100% of the transferred miles count towards the milestones, whereas with this route, only 50% of the purchased miles would count (roughly 23k in my example).
Old May 6, 2020, 6:27 pm

If you convert AMEX MR, let's say 100k points to 100k Aeroplan miles, does the 100k miles count towards aeroplan miles earned travel at home promo?
Yes. You know, a lot of the questions you're asking could be answered just by reading the threads rather than posting questions that have already been asked and answered
canadiancow and Flyingbunny88 like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:49 pm

Yes. Well I am. I'm definitely making a purchase, but I'm not sure how big it will be. Minimum 60k + bonus, but might be as high as 140k + bonus. Probably no higher.

My alarm is set for 0645.
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.