Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Miles Sales - May 7-15th 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 9:44 am

I don't think first 10M is much. If each member buys total 500k base miles (250k/transaction x 2), equates to 20 members.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by asovse1
@jasdou @BenSenise

Thanks for checking, I had a hunch my calcs were off. editing the OP now.

I re-ran my calculations by using the current price and adding the bonus after. I agree with @BenSenise calculations but not sure why @jasdou multiplied by 1.15 at the end

Sample calc: Say we want Asia 2. All we need is to buy 72k miles at the current 3cpp rate, then the bonus should cover 155k-ish
72k miles @ $0.03 = $2160
72k miles at a 115% bonus = 72k + 72k + 15% of 72k = 154800 miles

$2160/154800 = 0.014 approx. excl. sales tax
I multiplied by 1.15 to take into account the sales taxes and get the net cost of the purchased miles for a given award trip. Here in QC, GST is 5% and QST is 9.975% so I rounded that up to 15%.
24left and asovse1 like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
I'm guessing this won't count towards the "Travel at home" where people are trying to get 250k for status?
Old May 5, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
hold on, you're saying if I buy 27,500 miles for a total of 275$ I will receive 55,000 miles enough for a one way to Europe in business?
Old May 5, 2020, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by royal757
hold on, you're saying if I buy 27,500 miles for a total of 275$ I will receive 55,000 miles enough for a one way to Europe in business?
No. The cost per mile you're basing your math on is after the 115% bonus is applied. To do your calculation you need to assume you're buying 55,000 miles (and even then the numbers aren't quite right as there is no 100% bonus, and the 1cpm price is USD). Of course, scam charges will be extra when you go to redeem.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by royal757
To get 55,000 miles, you would need to buy 25600 miles + 115% bonus. Cost would be CAD767 + taxes.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Any advantage for SE?

If you are already SE MM ithere is no go to next level benefit. Some benefit for extra miles but that's about it.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Originally Posted by philelite
I'm guessing this won't count towards the "Travel at home" where people are trying to get 250k for status?
Found the answer...

As an Altitude member, when you register for Travel at Home, 50% of the Aeroplan Miles you purchase (including any bonus miles earned) will count towards helping you get to the next Air Canada Altitude status or reach Altitude Prestige 25K.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: AC SE
Prince of Travel has a good feature on it, and includes some criteria that help weigh whether it may be useful for you.

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/aero...d-time-bonuses
The most compelling value proposition is obviously on the first 10 million miles sold, which can be purchased for as low as 1cpp (USD). In my view, if you were interested in buying Aeroplan miles outright, this is an incredibly generous rate, as it’s extremely rare that we see loyalty programs selling miles at this level of a discount.

As just one example, you could purchase 150,000 miles for only US$1,500 and use them towards an Aeroplan Mini-RTW to visit up to two places around the world with up to 16 flights in business class, and that’s obviously tremendous value.

However – and this is important to emphasize – I would not recommend purchasing Aeroplan miles speculatively at the moment, and would only recommend doing so if both of the following conditions are fulfilled:
  • You had a particular redemption in mind where you are certain to get a higher value than the 1cpp (USD) you’re paying
  • You need to have these miles on hand more urgently than you can take advantage of the multitude of cheaper ways to acquire Aeroplan miles out there, such as signing up for TD, CIBC, or American Express credit cards
In ordinary circumstances, some travellers might choose to speculatively buy miles at such a low rate even if they didn’t have definite travel plans coming up.

However, we know that Aeroplan will be launching a new program later this year (even though the date has been pushed back from Q3 to Q4 2020, in light of the pandemic), and we have no way of telling how much value we’ll derive from the new program just yet.
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by folkart
If you are already SE MM ithere is no go to next level benefit. Some benefit for extra miles but that's about it.
Access to priority reward seats when redeeming
Plumber likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by mileageking
Access to priority reward seats when redeeming
And no fuel surcharges on redemption for AC flights.
tcook052, mileageking and monkai like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by philelite
Found the answer...

As an Altitude member, when you register for Travel at Home, 50% of the Aeroplan Miles you purchase (including any bonus miles earned) will count towards helping you get to the next Air Canada Altitude status or reach Altitude Prestige 25K.
What seems unclear is what happens if you have already transferred the 250K miles and received all of the possible benefits. I received this response from the concierge:

This part of the Travel@home promotion was just announced today. Here is what it means:

On Thursday:I buy 20,000 miles through the Buy Miles promo:
  • I earn 20,000 Base Miles
  • I earn 23,000 Bonus Miles (115%)
I’ve earned a total of 43,000 miles as part of Buy Miles promo (Base + Bonus) x 50% - > 21,500 eligible for Travel@Home promotion

Members are not earning AQM for purchasing miles, its just what is eligible for the promotion. So since there is no AQM, there is no eligibility for Million Miles.

So it appears that the 50% of the total purchase + bonus qualifies for the Travel at Home promotion. If you have already transferred the 250K then there is no additional benefit as it relates to the Travel at Home promotion. The Travel at Home promotion was the first time one received MM status miles without accruing AQM (which is contrary to the statement above). These are getting somewhat confusing...

Last edited by EdmFlyBoi; May 5, 2020 at 11:49 am Reason: Grammar
Old May 5, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Mass devaluation inbound, sales like these are red flag.
mapleg and worldtraveller73 like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Granite64
Mass devaluation inbound, sales like these are red flag.
Given that EYW awards 9 figures of miles at least once per year, every year, for the past 7 years, I think you overestimate either the number of miles that will be sold through this or the effect it will have on redemptions.
monkai and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Curious whether SE and/or SEMM are thinking about buying? I am quite low on miles, but also know once flying resumes I can earn quickly with COS, SE bonus and likely whatever other promotions will exist. I am kind of thinking about getting enough for a J to Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.