Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Travel at Home - Reach Air Canada Altitude status without leaving home

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
APRIL 26 2020
Post 182 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32327089-post182.html
Contains screen shots of all of the detailed T&C on the Travel at Home Promo as per this Aeroplan link
https://www.aeroplan.com/travelathome.do
If you find that something in this version does not match any info you have, please post updates.

Discussion of how some terms were retroactively modified on April 23/24:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32322298-post179.html
Print Wikipost

Travel at Home - Reach Air Canada Altitude status without leaving home

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
So I can accelerate the possibility of gifting status? I see zero point in this for someone like me.
Almost, but yeah. Sure, 20 more eUps. Great.

The MM at least has some value.

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Yes, but note this, from the T&C: "Anti-gaming: if you acquire an Aeroplan credit card and cancel it before the end of 2020, return any eStore transaction or any other mileage reversal, Air Canada reserves the right to remove any Bonus Altitude Qualifying Miles (AQM), Bonus Altitude Qualifying Dollars (AQD), eUpgrade Credits and/or Status adjustments you may have received through this Offer. Similarly, Aeroplan reserves the right to remove any Aeroplan Miles you may have earned through this Offer."
What if I close my multiple current Aeroplan cards and then open new ones?

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
canadiancow , here are some MM-eligible bonus miles!
Originally Posted by expert7700
I believe someone here is short a similar amount from MM status!
Yeah so I was hoping to have a nice flight where I get something signed by the crew, etc. But I'm at 975xxx lifetime right now, so if I do this, I'm going to be like all the flight passers who cross over in their sleep at home
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: Air Canada Silver
Just want to confirm: if we're already at 25K, then the 250,000 mile upgrade would just get up to 50K, correct?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by vikram.bhatia
Just want to confirm: if we're already at 25K, then the 250,000 mile upgrade would just get up to 50K, correct?
E35K. One status level.

On another matter:
"Altitude Super Elite 100K and Elite 75K Status Members who earn 250,000 Aeroplan Miles during this Offer and registered will receive 25,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles that count toward Million Miles recognition."

Unless they've created some new way of doing this, those "Bonus Aeroplan Miles" will also be AQM. I wouldn't depend on it, but I'd expect it.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Without knowing the expiration date of the bonus 20 eUp credits, it is hard to gauge the value proposition. 20 credits valid until February 2021? No thanks.

May 2021? Maybe.

February 2022? Yes please!
mileageking and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by jasdou
Without knowing the expiration date of the bonus 20 eUp credits, it is hard to gauge the value proposition. 20 credits valid until February 2021? No thanks.

May 2021? Maybe.

I would assume it would be 2022.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:23 am

May 2021? Maybe.

eUps are going to be interesting for the next while. I have taken trips that I would not have taken but for my eUps, and I'm not even talking about my annual trips to TPE to burn off the remains. Giving me more eUps will likely induce more travel from me. And if their loads haven't recovered by early next year, getting me to buy a PY ticket and upgrade it is much better for them than having me sit at home.
mileageking likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:26 am

May 2021? Maybe.

I'd think the status upgrades and eUp credits we get from this promotion will last till Feb 2022, just as if you earned those by flying this year.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Interesting! I dropped from E50K to E35K for 2020. Before COVID-19, my travel for the year would have certainly let me early-qualify for E50K for the remainder of 2020, and 2021. But, transferring 250K miles to Aeroplan for instant E50K is enticing.

If I get back to E50K via this promo, will it also stay at E50K for the 2021 program year, with the previous announcement about extending status to next year?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: Air Canada Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
E35K. One status level.

On another matter:
"Altitude Super Elite 100K and Elite 75K Status Members who earn 250,000 Aeroplan Miles during this Offer and registered will receive 25,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles that count toward Million Miles recognition."

Unless they've created some new way of doing this, those "Bonus Aeroplan Miles" will also be AQM. I wouldn't depend on it, but I'd expect it.
Good point, thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Interesting! I dropped from E50K to E35K for 2020. Before COVID-19, my travel for the year would have certainly let me early-qualify for E50K for the remainder of 2020, and 2021. But, transferring 250K miles to Aeroplan for instant E50K is enticing.

If I get back to E50K via this promo, will it also stay at E50K for the 2021 program year, with the previous announcement about extending status to next year?
Be sure that you independently hit the AQD requirements for E50K on your own if you expect an instant upgrade from P25 to E50. Although you will receive a bonus 25k AQM, you still have to exceed the published AQD requirements (i.e. $6k for E50 vs $3k for E25).
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by expert7700
Interesting tidbit in the terms & conditions:

I believe someone here is short a similar amount from MM status!
I an under 10K away from 1MM. I am pretty sure I can accomplish the 250k goal to get the bonus; however, I am wondering if it's as satisfying as figuring out where you were in the air when you crossed. And no chance of in-flight recognition. =(
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:38 am

This coincides well with the return of the TD Biz Visa 45k offer (with FYF). Essentially once you've met the $5k minimum spend, you'll have earned the requisite 50k miles for P25k status with one credit card application.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:40 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jeffypop75
Sounds like they are making a distinction between AQM and Aeroplan miles when it comes to the bonus. I would guess they will credit 4500 AQM, then deduct 4500 non-AQM Aeroplan miles.

The applicable Bonus Altitude Qualifying Miles (AQM) will be credited by August 2020 to the Eligible Participants Altitude account who earned the required number of Aeroplan Miles and registered for this Offer. Since these specific Bonus Altitude Qualifying Miles (AQM) are not Aeroplan Miles, an adjustment will be made to your Aeroplan account when the Bonus Altitude Qualifying Miles (AQM) are credited.
Good catch! That's chintzy and annoying.

What if I close my multiple current Aeroplan cards and then open new ones?
You'd have to double-check that those cards haven't gone the Amex route of only allowing you to collect the sign-up bonus once

I'm still skeptical of trying to use CC sign-up bonuses towards this though. The time is just so tight.

Since they're giving us non-Aeroplan AQM for this promo, I feel like these miles aren't going to be AQM. Aeroplan + MM, yes, but AQM no. If I'm wrong, I'll be very happy

Originally Posted by agjil
I'd think the status upgrades and eUp credits we get from this promotion will last till Feb 2022, just as if you earned those by flying this year.
They've said the status will be valid until end of 2021, which they've clarified in the context of the extension means February 2022. But the eUps, who knows.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by yyz_consulted
Be sure that you independently hit the AQD requirements for E50K on your own if you expect an instant upgrade from P25 to E50. Although you will receive a bonus 25k AQM, you still have to exceed the published AQD requirements (i.e. $6k for E50 vs $3k for E25).
If you earn 250k Aeroplan miles you don't need AQM or AQD.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by yyz_consulted
Wait, how does AQD factor into the one-time status upgrade? I'm E35K now. The way I read it, if I earn 250K Aeroplan miles, it should bump me up to E50K. I don't see anything about having to still meet AQD requirements.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.