Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Travel at Home - Reach Air Canada Altitude status without leaving home

Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
APRIL 26 2020
Post 182 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32327089-post182.html
Contains screen shots of all of the detailed T&C on the Travel at Home Promo as per this Aeroplan link
https://www.aeroplan.com/travelathome.do
If you find that something in this version does not match any info you have, please post updates.

Discussion of how some terms were retroactively modified on April 23/24:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32322298-post179.html
Print Wikipost

Travel at Home - Reach Air Canada Altitude status without leaving home

Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
As many have said, not much here for current 75K / SEs unless you are really close to MM, and care about getting MM right now.
Or close to 2MM

Originally Posted by lcohen999
That is true...I have more than enough MR to move over without breaking a sweat
Agree and same here. Do they allow to transfer 750k & get 75k towards MM?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
If you're worried about miles posting from CC offers, get a card that offers the points upon first purchase, not after minimum spend or three months. Aerogold e.g. offers 20k after first purchase (and 15k more after 10k yearly spend which is probably not feasible by May31st for most people).

This is... an interesting offer. I have no status with AC (I use UA) but i have a decent chunk of useable AP miles. I might as well transfer some more over/sign up for some cards.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
If you're worried about miles posting from CC offers, get a card that offers the points upon first purchase, not after minimum spend or three months. Aerogold e.g. offers 20k after first purchase (and 15k more after 10k yearly spend which is probably not feasible by May31st for most people).

This is... an interesting offer. I have no status with AC (I use UA) but i have a decent chunk of useable AP miles. I might as well transfer some more over/sign up for some cards.
The points you get on first purchase are pretty low for the Canadian cards. I signed up for a Capital One card that earns 50k points after $3k spend, and is transferrable to Aeroplan. I can hit that by the first billing cycle without issue, so I should be fine.

If this went to the end of June I'd feel less rushed, but I really need to get any cards in hand immediately if they're transfer partners rather than Aeroplan co-branded.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:01 pm

I would caution those applying for multiple credit cards for just racking up points, as it does impact your overall credit score. Always good to think about long term impact.

Originally Posted by calculus1918
At the same time, I have 450,000 Bonvoy points, will that increase the benefit at all?
I have approx 1.5m Marriott points (accumulated over past few years & Bonvoy Ambassador status) . Regular conversion is 3:1 plus you get extra 5k miles when you convert 60k Marriott points. From time to time Aeroplan has promos giving 35% bonus miles, so for 60k Marriott points you get 33,750 Aeroplan miles (3 to 1.77 ratio) which is better. Unfortunately they aren't offering this promo right now.
OT - Marriott's standard promo, book 5 nights and pay for 4 as well as their travel packages may be a good way to burn those points
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Can YQ be removed retroactively for someone who makes E25K but already has an existing North American Aeroplan booking?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by mileageking
I would caution those applying for multiple credit cards for just racking up points, as it does impact your overall credit score. Always good to think about long term impact.
In Canada, I'm not sure exactly how the bureaus work, but I also don't really care about my credit (I'm not going to default on a loan, but I have no issues with opening a CC).

In the US, it results in a slight decrease to your average age of credit, and a hard inquiry on one of the three bureaus. Definitely an impact, but not a significant one. The average age will be rectified when I cancel it, and the hard inquiry, on my profile, costs me 2 points, until it falls off in two years.

So there is no "long term" impact, just a negligible short-term impact.

Edit: Capital One pulled at least TransUnion and Equifax, possibly Experian as well, so I stand corrected on "one of the three".

Originally Posted by ride red
Can YQ be removed retroactively for someone who makes E25K but already has an existing North American Aeroplan booking?
Cancellations are free right now, so if space is still there, just cancel and rebook.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC-ELITE 50K
Is YQ waived for flight redemption for any status right now or just with SE 100K as previous
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Amazing, I've never had airline status before but I should be able to get the 25K with this by transferring points looking forward to joining the club (even if it is at the lowest tier). Two MLL passes are awesome.

I've never had eUp credits before, what can you do with 20 of them?
20 eupgrade credits can potentially be reasonably good value for domestic travel. Eg an upgrade from A economy class to biz/signature from YVR -> YUL - YYT could cost you total of 7 credits

(or less if work books you a last minute latitude fair)
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Hm I am a SE with.... literally exactly 249K amex points

Would I get credit if I convert them to aeroplan?? Is that a sensible thing to do??
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by camelari
Is YQ waived for flight redemption for any status right now or just with SE 100K as previous
SEs get it on all itineraries.

Lower levels only get it within North America.

Originally Posted by Wallace Cashperson
Hm I am a SE with.... literally exactly 249K amex points

Would I get credit if I convert them to aeroplan?? Is that a sensible thing to do??
You'd need 1k more, but that should be pretty easy. It's sensible if the AQM, AQD, eUps, and 25k MM miles are worth it to you, or if you'd end up transferring them anyway.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by camelari
North America - Any elite status
International- 100k
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

Cancellations are free right now, so if space is still there, just cancel and rebook.
Thanks for the reply....

It's not, but even then the E25 from this promo doesn't post until summer and there might not be free cancellations at that point.

Not sure if theri's anyone out there who's tried having YQ removed from an existing booking after getting status, my wife might be the first Guinea pig here.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:54 pm

Thanks for the reply....

It's not, but even then the E25 from this promo doesn't post until summer and there might not be free cancellations at that point.

Not sure if theri's anyone out there who's tried having YQ removed from an existing booking after getting status, my wife might be the first Guinea pig here.
First, they say "by" July 31. I don't want to get your hopes up, but it's possible it will generally be the day/Sunday after your miles post, and the extra time is just for people who encounter problems.

Second, any voluntary change you make to the booking will result in a recalculation. You might be able to get them to do it for an involuntary change as well. But when they first introduced the waiver, the only way for me to get YQ back was to refund or change a booking.
nomadic.relief and Adam Smith like this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 6:55 pm

Thanks for the reply....

I'd be pretty comfortable betting that won't happen. (And I'm not a betting person.)

She did not have status at the time of booking, therefore wasn't eligible for YQ exemption. Pretty straightforward.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Most decent travel hackers or churners will get very little value out of P25K.

P25K comes with YQ waiver, on AC metal flights, within Canada and the US - not a big benefit for most of those types. Baggage fee waiver... for people who probably pride themselves on (almost) never checking bags? *S status, lounge passes, 20 eUps that are very hard to use, etc. These are not the things that are typically valued by the people you're talking about. To the extent they value airline status, most of these people probably already have A3/TK*G, or UA*S through Bonvoy, or something like that.
You are overlooking one key demographic, the churning crowd. These are the folks who mostly fly using points and have no AQD/AQMs to speak of. This promo is perfect for them.

Oh, a d no domestic YQ makes all the difference in making an AE redemption competitive for low dollar/shorthaul flights where VIA or a car is often cheaper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.