Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Travel at Home - Reach Air Canada Altitude status without leaving home

Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
APRIL 26 2020
Post 182 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32327089-post182.html
Contains screen shots of all of the detailed T&C on the Travel at Home Promo as per this Aeroplan link
https://www.aeroplan.com/travelathome.do
If you find that something in this version does not match any info you have, please post updates.

Discussion of how some terms were retroactively modified on April 23/24:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32322298-post179.html
Print Wikipost

Travel at Home - Reach Air Canada Altitude status without leaving home

Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

I'm still skeptical of trying to use CC sign-up bonuses towards this though. The time is just so tight.
The bonus doesn't need to post by May 31. From the terms and conditions...

• Aeroplan credit card welcome bonus: The welcome bonus for a new Aeroplan credit card acquired by an Eligible Participant, provided the credit card was acquired during the Offer Period and in conformity with the applicable credit card terms and conditions.
  • Aeroplan credit card spend: All Aeroplan spend-based earn shall include only Aeroplan Miles credited to the Eligible Participant’s Aeroplan account during the Offer Period, in-cluding Aeroplan Miles credited on the June 2020 statement. The applicable credit card terms and conditions shall apply
As long as you acquire the card before May 31, the bonus can post later. It sounds like any miles earned by the June statement will count. The may have designed it that way on purpose, to encourage people to sign up for a new card now.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Thank you for the explanation! I definitely won't count on getting anything magical out of the eUps then haha.

Reviewing the chart I also just realized that YQ are waived on award redemptions within NA, which is actually huge for me; with my regular flying habits that will almost certainly save me at least a few hundred dollars. Plus the 2 MLL passes and priority boarding are great.
Does the YQ waiver also apply to additional tickets that you book from the same account?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
As long as you acquire the card before May 31, the bonus can post later.
Aeroplan credit card welcome bonus: The welcome bonus for a new Aeroplan credit card acquired by an Eligible Participant, provided the credit card was acquired during the Offer Period and in conformity with the applicable credit card terms and conditior.
I dont think it specfies this, but any ideas if a welcome bonus could be counted later even if it is subject to a minimum spend? For example, $3000 spend in the first 3 months.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Plumber
I dont think it specfies this, but any ideas if a welcome bonus could be counted later even if it is subject to a minimum spend? For example, $3000 spend in the first 3 months.
I would think it still qualifies. If the terms, such as the Amex Aeroplan Platinum card, say you have 3 months to spend $3,000 to receive the "Welcome Bonus", then I think that meets the criteria. I'd be a bit more concerned with something like the TD Infinite Privilege which says you get a Welcome Bonus of 25,000 upon first use, and then "Additional Bonus" miles of 5,000 in each of the subsequent months where you spend $1,000. Because only the 25,000 was termed "Welcome Bonus", the additional bonuses may not qualify. But, they certainly didn't spell out those details. But I think you're on pretty solid wording on the initial bonus, even if it takes a few months to earn it. Maybe that delay is one of the reasons that Aeroplan/AC is waiting until the end of August to post all of these Altitude bonuses?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:11 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Gold, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

As long as you acquire the card before May 31, the bonus can post later. It sounds like any miles earned by the June statement will count. The may have designed it that way on purpose, to encourage people to sign up for a new card now.
I can see how it can be read that way, but historically "earning" a mile means it being credited to the account. It's clear that if your CC bonus credits before May 31, it will count, but it's not clear that you have "earned" the bonus during the Offer Period if it posts on, say, June 12th.

The June statement thing is to account for the fact that miles earned in May may not post until the June statement. For instance, if your statement date is the 20th, your purchases from May 20-31 will be on your June statement.
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by hitek0007
Does the YQ waiver also apply to additional tickets that you book from the same account?
The YQ waiver applies to all tickets booked from the account in question, regardless of who is flying.

Originally Posted by Plumber
If it credits in May, no problem. If it credits in June, debatable, per my comments above. If it credits in July or later, seems clear it doesn't count.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:21 pm

If I transfer 50000 Amex points that only equates to the Aeroplan Prestige 25K? I have United silver already. At the same time, I have 450,000 Bonvoy points, will that increase the benefit at all?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
I guess Prestige 25K status will be the default status level for everyone till 2021.
Good marketing move by AC I suppose.
Every decent travel hacker or churner will now have P25K
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by calculus1918
If I transfer 50000 Amex points that only equates to the Aeroplan Prestige 25K? I have United silver already. At the same time, I have 450,000 Bonvoy points, will that increase the benefit at all?
Similar question -- if starting from no status, then 50K AMEX points bumps to Prestige 25K, then every additional 250K points bumps up one more level? i.e. 300K = E35, 550K = E50, etc?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by YYJMSP
Similar question -- if starting from no status, then 50K AMEX points bumps to Prestige 25K, then every additional 250K points bumps up one more level? i.e. 300K = E35, 550K = E50, etc?
No

TRAVEL AT HOME & REACH AIR CANADA ALTITUDE STATUS – TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The following Terms and Conditions apply to the Travel at Home & Reach Air Canada Altitude Status Offer open to Aeroplan Members (this “Offer”) and will take place from April 20, 2020 to May 31, 2020 (“Offer Period”):
  1. This Offer is open to Aeroplan Members in good standing who do not hold an Altitude status for 2020 and who register during the Offer Period (the “Eligible Participants”).
  2. Eligible Aeroplan Miles”: means Aeroplan Miles earned by an Eligible Participant through Aeroplan Activities during the Offer Period. The following Aeroplan Activities will count towards the Offer as follows:
    • Aeroplan credit card welcome bonus: The welcome bonus for a new Aeroplan credit card acquired by an Eligible Participant, provided the credit card was acquired during the Offer Period and in conformity with the applicable credit card terms and conditions.
    • Aeroplan credit card spend: All Aeroplan spend-based earn shall include only Aeroplan Miles credited to the Eligible Participant's Aeroplan account during the Offer Period, in-cluding Aeroplan Miles credited on the June 2020 statement. The applicable credit card terms and conditions shall apply.
    • eStore: Purchases must be made on the eStore during the Offer Period to qualify for the Offer, and in compliance with the eStore terms and conditions.
    • All other activity: Unless otherwise stipulated, all Aeroplan Miles credited to the Eligible Participant's Aeroplan account based on activity during the Offer Period shall qualify for the Offer.

Aeroplan Activities” shall be defined as any accumulation of Aeroplan Miles earned in conformity with the Aeroplan terms and conditions and the Aeroplan program.
  3. Altitude Members who receive Altitude Prestige 25K with this Offer will have to meet the regular published Air Canada Altitude qualifying requirements in order to achieve any higher status. Please refer to this link for published qualifying requirements: https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/overview.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
For sure! Add me to that list. I was expecting a MR:AP 1:1.2 type bonus but this will do. I didn't realize the YQ waiver until someone posted it here. Yay!

So:
2 MLL passes
2 free bags
no YQ in NA for AP rewards.

Sign me up!
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:49 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Gold, DL PM, WS Plat, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Most decent travel hackers or churners will get very little value out of P25K.

P25K comes with YQ waiver, on AC metal flights, within Canada and the US - not a big benefit for most of those types. Baggage fee waiver... for people who probably pride themselves on (almost) never checking bags? *S status, lounge passes, 20 eUps that are very hard to use, etc. These are not the things that are typically valued by the people you're talking about. To the extent they value airline status, most of these people probably already have A3/TK*G, or UA*S through Bonvoy, or something like that.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I was thinking about getting a Capital One card, getting the signup bonus (50k), and transferring all the points, but I'm not convinced I can do that by end of May...
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Most decent travel hackers or churners will get very little value out of P25K.
But now these people can take part in EYW!!!!

I ended up writing a huge post about my opportunity cost weighing this promotion as someone who's held AP status (Black/Diamond) for a while but never had Altitude status, but I think I have an edge case tbh. I'll shorten it up below.

With my average yearly travel habits on AC metal (7x domestic/transborder for 2020 on Aeroplan market fares), switching to Aeroplan fixed fares would only save me $400-600ish in fees, which isn't worth the 50k AMEX MR transfer.
I'd rather put that 50k toward this Avios redemption I've been planning for a while.

I was half-joking about EYW eligibility above as a P25K benefit, though the opportunity to participate in EYW would be super tempting...though I'm willing to spend money during the competition, I just can't see myself parting with my points (and maybe other cash) right now in Spring 2020.

If there was a viable pathway to E35K, I'd definitely consider it. Hell, I'm thinking of qualifying for it legit once I finish my degree. My mom often goes to her old village in Vietnam full of Canadian goods (candies, medicine, toys), and though she only flies enough for P25K, every trip her third bag ends up costing her hundreds. If I could gift her E35K so she could save a substantial amount next year, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next AC + AP promo.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Cool. My wife had 80k Amex points so we transferred them over, she should be E25 now if I understand things correctly.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ride red
Cool. My wife had 80k Amex points so we transferred them over, she should be E25 now if I understand things correctly.
You probably should have just done 50k, but yes, she'll be granted P25K status through Feb 2022.

I've now been approved for two credit cards. Trying to decide if I want to do the 5000 mile CIBIC one or either TD card (both of which I already have).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.