Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by expert7700
Air Canada settled the $25MM lawsuit with the US DoT today.

https://downloads.regulations.gov/DO...tachment_1.pdf

​​ "4.5 million" (with more than half forgiven as they refunded some customers already)

//2 million dollar check going to the US Treasury must really hurt. That's how many hours of gross revenue for AC?
Hurt? This fine is nothing and only encourages and emboldens AC to break the law again given they gained so much more than the fine is.

This is the equivalent of you and I receiving a $2 speeding ticket.

Think of all the people that wont use their vouchers or never filed a claim. No way that's not over $2 million.

But hopefully this will stick in the back of the minds of Americans and next time AC tries to sell them a $400 TPAC, they ll think twice.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
Air Canada settled the $25MM lawsuit with the US DoT today.

https://downloads.regulations.gov/DO...tachment_1.pdf

​​ "4.5 million" (with more than half forgiven as they refunded some customers already)

//2 million dollar check going to the US Treasury must really hurt. That's how many hours of gross revenue for AC?
DoT is stating they are going to issue specific regulation on this matter. About time!!! As discussed earlier this year, AC had a point in that DoT "position" memo was non-binding. DoT had 20 years under various administrations to issue regulation but chose not to.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 22, 2021 at 4:33 pm
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:31 pm

How long does it take to get a Travel Voucher these days if one cancels a flight booking online ?

It would be nice if AC implemented a travel bank system. Would be useful when change fees are waived like nowadays for repricing flights when prices drop and getting the difference immediately in consolidated travel bank funds that can be reused easily for another booking
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:50 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
How long does it take to get a Travel Voucher these days if one cancels a flight booking online ?
It depends.

Recently, I've had them show up as fast as 8 days and as slow as 5 weeks. I've also had them show up out of order - a recent cancellation resulting in a voucher before a trip cancelled 4 weeks earlier. So, consistently inconsistent, but within bounds.

I think they still say to bark at them if it doesn't show after 6 weeks.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:13 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by hoipolloi

It would be nice if AC implemented a travel bank system. Would be useful when change fees are waived like nowadays for repricing flights when prices drop and getting the difference immediately in consolidated travel bank funds that can be reused easily for another booking
Seems to vary even with almost identical bookings. Had two virtually identical bookings cancelled on the same day; both the "automated" process, same route, etc. One arrived after 4 days and the voucher was activated in 7 days. One has been 12 days and waiting. I think they just go into a lottery basket and depends which one the agent picks out first to process.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
It depends.

Recently, I've had them show up as fast as 8 days and as slow as 5 weeks. I've also had them show up out of order - a recent cancellation resulting in a voucher before a trip cancelled 4 weeks earlier. So, consistently inconsistent, but within bounds.

I think they still say to bark at them if it doesn't show after 6 weeks.
Has anyone experienced this with the the online refund process? I canceled a booking to a travel voucher. At the "we are going to transfer $XXXX, the remaining value on your booking to an air Canada travel voucher," I notice that my email is messed up "//" instead of "@" symbol in the email. Needless to say, I didn't get a confirmation email despite the "we have sent a confirmation to the following email address" note on the page.

Should I call in to sort it out or just wait?

Last edited by gnof; Dec 8, 2021 at 5:03 pm Reason: accidentally a word
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
On the PNR, they can't store @ in the fields, so they use // instead.
gnof likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by dtman85
I submitted my refund request on April 13, 2021.

I finally got an email back below:

We wanted to take the time to inform you that your case for a refund to your original form of payment is still open. Unfortunately, due to the high number of requests, things are taking longer than we had anticipated. Please rest assured that we’re working on your case and will get back to you as soon as we have an update.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this delay has caused, and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding

I guess I will keep on waiting.

Anyone else still waiting on their refund request from April?
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:35 pm

I'm still waiting on one from May 4. I received this email, unprompted, from AC in mid October:

We wanted to let you know that we’re still processing refunds for customers with tickets issued during our COVID-19 goodwill period. Although your case is still open, please know that we’re working diligently to get back to you as soon as possible. At this time, it’s not necessary to reply back or create a new request, as your case is already in the queue.

As a gesture of goodwill, we would like to offer you a promo code for 20% off your next flight with Air Canada. For more details, please see below.
We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience and understanding.
Not sure if they are issuing promo codes to everyone, or only very high value customers like myself....
Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC *E
I am! Called the call center and they weren’t able to obtain any new info for me.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
The morons doing refunds at Air Canada sent me an email today that they accidentally refunded my credit card twice and now can't reverse the second transaction because that card expired. I am really tempted to wait 15 months before responding like they did to me.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:41 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott - Titanium
AC refunded back to my credit card and gift card. It only took 8 months.
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by zeer0
I am really tempted to wait 15 months before responding like they did to me.
Seems perfectly fair to me.
strickerj and zeer0 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by zeer0
The morons doing refunds at Air Canada sent me an email today that they accidentally refunded my credit card twice and now can't reverse the second transaction because that card expired. I am really tempted to wait 15 months before responding like they did to me.
lol what do you plan to do?

I have a couple double refunds but have since used up all the credit vouchers. So without a time machine they're not getting their money back 😀
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.