Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Meals .... at home

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Acid wash jeans! Classic!
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by expert7700
Buy the leanest, non marbled sirlon you can find (this is key, some might accidentally buy a tender cut and ruin your chances before you start. Avoid meat labeled 'Prime' (may work good for Amazon but not when it comes to meat).
Actually I think Amazon Prime would be perfect for procuring your steak if you want it as close to the real deal as possible
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:55 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
So I have both succeeded and failed in this task.....

I created the perfect texture, taste and look of the daytime YYZ to LHR economy breakfast. I found a yellow tire, cut a small disc out, smothered it with oil, folded it in half and covered it with some nuked cottage cheese and "ground beef" (aka Basics Value Mince). Placed it into a microwave container, and added cling film and a label of ingredients, calories and "Made in Germany" stamped on it.
Next, I found the most unripe melon in the GTA cut it up, and put it in the freezer for a couple of hours, just until parts were frozen and crystals forming. Add a cheap yogurt from a low cost supermarket (with a short shelf life), a roll I left out for two days, then wrapped it, and then put it in the fridge just to make sure - with a rock hard solid portion of butter and plastic cutlery.

As it was a daytime flight to London (senior route), I asked my aunty over to serve the meal to me with a caesar to accompany it. (the best bit of the meal). When I tried re-create the meal a second time to make sure I had it just right, my Uncle told me they had no more omelette and offered me the pancakes and apple compote. So close but no cigar!!

I would have taken a picture, but after I had inadvertently overdone the omelette by leaving it in the oven for MORE than two hours, the Fire Marshall wouldn't let me back into the house to take a picture. As for the coffee, i missed my chance coz I looked out of the window just as my aunty brushed passed and served the folk in the next row.

Happy memories........

Last edited by Mikey Mike Mike; Apr 10, 2020 at 10:01 pm Reason: typos
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
So I have both succeeded and failed in this task.....

I created the perfect texture, taste and look of the daytime YYZ to LHR economy breakfast. I found a yellow tire, cut a small disc out, smothered it with oil, folded it in half and covered it with some nuked cottage cheese and "ground beef" (aka Basics Value Mince). Placed it into a microwave container, and added cling film and a label of ingredients, calories and "Made in Germany" stamped on it.
Next, I found the most unripe melon in the GTA cut it up, and put it in the freezer for a couple of hours, just until parts were frozen and crystals forming. Add a cheap yogurt from a low cost supermarket (with a short shelf life), a roll I left out for two days, then wrapped it, and then put it in the fridge just to make sure - with a rock hard solid portion of butter and plastic cutlery.

As it was a daytime flight to London (senior route), I asked my aunty over to serve the meal to me with a caesar to accompany it. (the best bit of the meal). When I tried re-create the meal a second time to make sure I had it just right, my Uncle told me they had no more omelette and offered me the pancakes and apple compote. So close but no cigar!!

I would have taken a picture, but after I had inadvertently overdone the omelette by leaving it in the oven for MORE than two hours, the Fire Marshall wouldn't let me back into the house to take a picture. As for the coffee, i missed my chance coz I looked out of the window just as my aunty brushed passed and served the folk in the next row.

Happy memories........
Man... I can't stop laughing. Pretty much sums up most of Y service flows. My favourite AC868 breakfast is the one in PE - identical to the J one except you get pancakes as a second option. I actually specifically asked for PE pancakes once and was served those. Way better than the omelette, IMO. I do find the melon to be pretty hard, even in J, but having a bit of icy refreshment takes away the drowsiness of waking up at 5:45 . They may as well serve mildly defrosted ice cubes instead.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
@painintheuk

I know AC is busy with other stuff but I often feel they miss such creative opportunities. Sure, AC is not the Pacific Rim, but would have been fun to have a MLL bartender do a quick video for drinks, or cabin crew could have offered something interesting on AC's Twitter page.
24left you are so right. I think SO many businesses have missed this kind of opportunity. canadiancow had another great example of the wine bar doing delivery/Zoom wine tastings. Merridale Cider (www.merridale.ca) does something similar on VI (not to the same level), but other brewers/distillers/wineries just shut down and said nothing. Our local fancy cheese shop is doing all sorts of promotions and packages.

AC likes to talk the talk about Signature Service (I have a lottery ticket for Saturday!), so why not offer a partnership with some meal delivery service, along with an SD explaining how they prepare it? Just send the invite to SEs or MMs or anyone who has ever paid >Basic Fare before?

Originally Posted by 24left

Anyway, thanks for the link because I saw this

So which are you going to make tomorrow? I would lean towards the citrus buttermilk scones, though I forgot to get buttermilk (for pancakes) today.

.[/QUOTE]
24left likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:24 pm

AC likes to talk the talk about Signature Service (I have a lottery ticket for Saturday!), so why not offer a partnership with some meal delivery service, along with an SD explaining how they prepare it? Just send the invite to SEs or MMs or anyone who has ever paid >Basic Fare before?

That would be the best way to re-create AC meals at home.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by painintheuk
24left you are so right. I think SO many businesses have missed this kind of opportunity. canadiancow had another great example of the wine bar doing delivery/Zoom wine tastings. Merridale Cider (www.merridale.ca) does something similar on VI (not to the same level), but other brewers/distillers/wineries just shut down and said nothing. Our local fancy cheese shop is doing all sorts of promotions and packages.

I get everything you're saying, but when it comes right down to it, airplane meals are designed to be palatable at low pressure and low humidity. When my local sommelier explains the wine's he's sold me from his wife's bar/restaurant, he's giving his valuable time away for "free"... but it's his family's business.

That's very different from an AC SD cooking and delivering airplane meals... I throw cash and miles at AC all the time for stupid reasons (125k miles this morning - good cause, but stupid reason). But even I wouldn't pay anything to have an AC meal delivered at home.

I love their damn omelette, and I don't know how to cook. But even I can make a better breakfast.
Jebby_ca likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
So which are you going to make tomorrow? I would lean towards the citrus buttermilk scones, though I forgot to get buttermilk (for pancakes) today.

.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

No worries. Just mix about 2 tsp white vinegar into regular milk and leave 5 minutes. Stir and voilŕ. Good substitute for buttermilk. In a pinch I’ve even used red wine vinegar. Please show us your scones 😊. Maybe you can get a contract from AC to provide them when planes fly again.
painintheuk and 24left like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Just a reminder, that if you happen to have a dozen bags of almonds stashed away in your laptop bag, several of them might have holes in them and already be stale.

Now is a good time to check.
Jebby_ca and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Bartolo

No worries. Just mix about 2 tsp white vinegar into regular milk and leave 5 minutes. Stir and voilŕ. Good substitute for buttermilk. In a pinch I’ve even used red wine vinegar. Please show us your scones 😊. Maybe you can get a contract from AC to provide them when planes fly again.
For a second there I thought you were giving out the recipe for AC coffee creamer...
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, Marriott Platinum... Previously AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador
Has anyone made the fish from the YYZ Maple Leaf Lounge yet?
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by cager
Has anyone made the fish from the YYZ Maple Leaf Lounge yet?
I thought only Halifax had fish. And just for looking.

And also, I wonder how the fish are doing.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:18 pm

Thai coconut chicken curry soup from the MLL is available at Longos in the hot food section
Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Thai coconut chicken curry soup from the MLL is available at Longos in the hot food section
Its also available in most supermarkets in the powdered soup section on the Knorr shelves. Having been in the lounge at YOW as a delivery was taking place, there were boxes and boxes of Knorr packets soups including the Minestrone, Italian Wedding etc etc
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I've never opened this thread and as I post this I have still not read a single post.

I just couldn't resist posting the exact thought that runs through my mind every time I see this thread title:

"Why?"
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.