Wiki Posts
Search

AC Meals .... at home

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
​​​​​​

For those of you just driving by this thread and don't understand its purpose......
Nicely done!

I wonder if I will be away from AC's breakfast omelette long enough, that when I start flying again I will look forward to it.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
​​​​​​

@entropy @expert7700 @caziz @Mikey Mike Mike

I took up the challenge......since it's breakfast-time somewhere.......

......or in AC's case, we're going to replace the formerly nice TPAC late-afternoon pre-arrival stir fry rice and similar with the "less costly" breakfast/brunch. AC's industrial omelettes are famous and the ex-Canada baked goods are things I avoid. Don't even touch this breakfast on transcons. preferring to have frozen or unripe fruit instead. Makes for better photography. 🍓🍇🍍

I finally bought some fresh parsley 🌿 and decided it would be a good time to create a version of AC's parsley omelette.
Pro-tip from grandma: add a little bit of cream or milk. Makes for a fluffier omelette.

For those of you just driving by this thread and don't understand its purpose......
yeah but that actually looks tasty.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Years ago, AC and other airline meals were available for purchase through some of the caterers. Is this still possible? if so I expect it would be in the hub cities of YVR, YYZ, YUL and maybe a couple others. So................ any suggestions?
Old May 24, 2020, 10:45 am

After a multiple shopping trips, I've tried my best to replicate the classic breakfast. Couldn't find a great red pepper salsa / jelly, cottage cheese is a hot mess and these potatoes are a bit crispy, but it's coming along I think...
tcook052, painintheuk, m.y and 4 others like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by zappy312

After a multiple shopping trips, I've tried my best to replicate the classic breakfast. Couldn't find a great red pepper salsa / jelly, cottage cheese is a hot mess and these potatoes are a bit crispy, but it's coming along I think...
In order to replicate the AC omelette:

Tip 1: Use cold cottage cheese (i.e. STRAIGHT out of the fridge). Cold enough to make your teeth hurt.
Tip 2: Boil the sausage, don't grill or fry it. The latter two give it too much flavour which is the opposite of the AC omelette.
Tip 3: Don't even think about using real eggs. Use powdered egg. (not sure if they actually use eggs or the powder stuff, I'd be impressed if they were actually cracking eggs at catering).

In order to make your breakfast taste better:

Tip 1: For the red pepper jelly, maybe try reducing some red pepper and tomato in an acid like vinegar or even a bit of wine? Again, much too flavourful for the AC omelette, but makes it taste great. This will probably cost more than buying cheap pepper jelly at the store but will taste much better.
Tip 2: Cook the eggs on medium-low heat. That way, they'll cook through allowing you to flip them into an omelette shape, but won't get a crust. Some people like egg crusts, I think it takes away from what an omelette or scrambled eggs should be. Use butter to cook them, unless you're lactose intolerant, in which case you should use olive or vegetable oil.
Tip 3: Use very high heat to cook the sausages and season them well. If you have access to one, use a cast-iron pan or even a barbecue.

Good luck!
zappy312 likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by yyztozag
In order to make your breakfast taste better:

Tip 1: For the red pepper jelly, maybe try reducing some red pepper and tomato in an acid like vinegar or even a bit of wine? Again, much too flavourful for the AC omelette, but makes it taste great. This will probably cost more than buying cheap pepper jelly at the store but will taste much better.
Tip 2: Cook the eggs on medium-low heat. That way, they'll cook through allowing you to flip them into an omelette shape, but won't get a crust. Some people like egg crusts, I think it takes away from what an omelette or scrambled eggs should be. Use butter to cook them, unless you're lactose intolerant, in which case you should use olive or vegetable oil.
Tip 3: Use very high heat to cook the sausages and season them well. If you have access to one, use a cast-iron pan or even a barbecue.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I actually don't like the red pepper jelly (on land or at 39,000 ft) so I don't think I'll go through the effort of making homemade stuff. I think the stuff onboard is more like a salsa, but still sweet since the jarred one I got was spicier and more like actual jam for toast (found it in the charcuterie section).

I actually was making breakfast for 3, I'm still inconsistent at getting the colour right across my omelettes. I personally prefer a bit of crust (although not to brand standard), but I'll give butter a try next time. The pan I have is too big anyways, so I normally get something closer to a pancake rather than a fluffy, thick omelette.

To be honest, I did my sausages in an oven (trying to stay true to the onboard experience). I use store made ones anyways, so I don't really care how they're done, as long as they're not frozen in the middle.

I've had enough of making the full breakfast, wedges are time consuming when making them from scratch, the cottage cheese is a pain to do (I've been baking it to reduce the water to make it thicker like the onboard stuff, although maybe it just needs to be strained out) and we never have sausages. While it's a fun one, I'll probably just pay $11 for a Y breakfast tray next time I fly if anything.
yyztozag likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Years ago, AC and other airline meals were available for purchase through some of the caterers. Is this still possible? if so I expect it would be in the hub cities of YVR, YYZ, YUL and maybe a couple others. So................ any suggestions?

In this thread or perhaps one of the food threads, there were references to some airlines selling their meals.

There was this from April 1 about Air North https://onemileatatime.com/air-north...airplane-food/

There was this one from June 9 that also included Ural and Thai. https://viewfromthewing.com/with-few...-meals-online/

And I just saw this. https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/06/12/...zen-meal-sale/

AC opted to do this, so I'm not sure what if any food would have been available for sale.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...adians-in-Need

Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: AC SE
In this thread or perhaps one of the food threads, there were references to some airlines selling their meals.

There was this from April 1 about Air North https://onemileatatime.com/air-north...airplane-food/

There was this one from June 9 that also included Ural and Thai. https://viewfromthewing.com/with-few...-meals-online/

And I just saw this. https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/06/12/...zen-meal-sale/

AC opted to do this, so I'm not sure what if any food would have been available for sale.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...adians-in-Need

At least AC does not have to worry about the banana/spice bread supply going over its expiry date.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 11:43 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by jasdou
At least AC does not have to worry about the banana/spice bread supply going over its expiry date.
True that.

Coincidentally, I was just reading about microplastics this morning.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
The economy meals to / from the UK were / are made in Germany with a long shelf life at a unit cost i'm guessing around the 2 bucks value. (and a low calorie count). Given the portion size too, they'd make ideal weight watcher meals for sure.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 4:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I was scrolling through some photos today and realized I had never posted the Italian wedding soup that my wife and I made a couple of months ago. We weren't trying to exactly recreate the AC dish, but were inspired by it.

The key differences between ours and the MLL version (other than quality of ingredients used, of course ) were that we used a vegetable broth instead of chicken, and I couldn't find any of the acini di pepe (the little spherical pasta) and used orzo instead. I'm not sure what leafy vegetable AC uses, but we used kale, since I couldn't find any endive (non-Belgian) or escarole, which were what most online recipes recommended.

Anyway, it was decent. The biggest issue with it was that the vegetable broth was too strong and not the right flavour profile - very much a squash or other fall vegetable type of thing, and didn't go all that well with the rest of the ingredients. I don't regret not using chicken stock, since I don't like the taste of chicken, but wouldn't use that particular vegetable broth again next time.

Overall, it was a about a B for quality.

Anyone else tried to make any AC meals lately?
painintheuk and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I was scrolling through some photos today and realized I had never posted the Italian wedding soup that my wife and I made a couple of months ago. We weren't trying to exactly recreate the AC dish, but were inspired by it.

The key differences between ours and the MLL version (other than quality of ingredients used, of course ) were that we used a vegetable broth instead of chicken, and I couldn't find any of the acini di pepe (the little spherical pasta) and used orzo instead. I'm not sure what leafy vegetable AC uses, but we used kale, since I couldn't find any endive (non-Belgian) or escarole, which were what most online recipes recommended.

Anyway, it was decent. The biggest issue with it was that the vegetable broth was too strong and not the right flavour profile - very much a squash or other fall vegetable type of thing, and didn't go all that well with the rest of the ingredients. I don't regret not using chicken stock, since I don't like the taste of chicken, but wouldn't use that particular vegetable broth again next time.

Overall, it was a about a B for quality.

Anyone else tried to make any AC meals lately?
The Italian Wedding soup in the MLL has always been my favourite one that is served. Thanks for the post Adam Smith! Now I want to make a pot of this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 9:27 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
In case anyone is looking for a tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7hM...ature=youtu.be
Old Sep 17, 2020, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
In case anyone is looking for a tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7hM...ature=youtu.be
I get 'video unavailable'.
Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 17, 2020, 3:48 pm

This seems to work, but not sure if it's what you intended:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.