Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
They're finally allowing some additional flexibility: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-bookings.html
Finally. Just changed my booking for October. I figure if this hasn't blown over by then we're all dead anyways.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
They had already something in place for bookings after March 2. As to travel after April 30, surely yhey will extend that later if (when) necessary.

(We have nothing planned until early May. So not covered yet, but anyway, our position is also wait and see. Even though we fully expect that we'll need to cancel that trip.)
Curious where you are going that you expect to need to cancel? I have personal travel to Spain, France and UK in May and hoping to still make the trip as planned. Perhaps I am overly optimistic.

Work travel to Kenya and UK in April looking less likely.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: AC*E35
I have flights booked mar 13-24 to Africa via London.

I can cancel for refund minus 600 dollars per ticket based on my original fare rules.

if I take up air Canada’s offer of cancel and receive credit for use until dec 31 2020, will I still be able to cancel that credit say 6 months from now If I don’t feel I can use the credit before December? Or do we think I’ve lost that ?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=MaxFlying;32169336]Curious where you are going that you expect to need to cancel? I have personal travel to Spain, France and UK in May and hoping to still make the trip as planned. Perhaps I am overly optimistic.

/QUOTE]

I still hope that we'll be OK and won't need to cancel. It's to various places in Europe, not including Italy. But at this point, I fell we should prepare ourself for the chances it won't be OK. Which looks likely to me. Also, given that we belong in a group at higher risk.

Additionally, we had planned to stop in Boston for a bit on the way back to visit our son. Which it probably even worse, plus, the main reason for that trip will also likely disappear as a result of the virus.

But I sure hope I won't need to cancel a July trip to Australia.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
A bit late, but much better...

Made a booking with a 30% off code I had.

What are the chances they give me my code back to use again as well?
Does the "any residual value resulting from a lower fare will be lost" statement save them from giving me the code back as well?
If you know that you will fly with AC in the next year you can ask the agent to cancel your ticket but leave it as a travel credit instead of getting a refund. This way you will keep the PNR, which has the coupon attached to it. As long as you remember the restrictions of the coupon (ie. last date for use/travel, AC flights or codeshares etc.), you can use the credit for future travel and the coupon will apply. We done that with a couple of PNRs in the last month - cancelled a HKG trip but used the credit and coupon attached to do a last minute getaway to AKL for a week (which still had R space available both ways).
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:23 am

AC Mar 11 update - waiving change fees for existing bookings made prior to Mar 4 for travel before Apr 30 2020.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...14%7c250092163
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mileageking
AC Mar 11 update - waiving change fees for existing bookings made prior to Mar 4 for travel before Apr 30 2020.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...14%7c250092163

You are over two hours late:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32169015-post595.html
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:31 am

Just realised that
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, Marriott Platinum... Previously AC*SE100K, Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador
As a result of Covid19 and AC waiving change fees, is there any point in booking FLEX fares at all? They are still selling them
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by cager
As a result of Covid19 and AC waiving change fees, is there any point in booking FLEX fares at all? They are still selling them
I believe there is a difference if you want to cancel, rather than make a change. Currently the most irritating feature of this goodwill policy.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cager
Given that Flex fares are not really flexible but entail change fees too, that's not the issue here. No change really.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually the most notable point about the goodwill rebooking policy is that in all cases, Air Canada will get/keep the money during 2020. All travel to be completed by the end of the year or forfeited and no refund.

In case of forfeiting, it would only be fair if they consider forfeited money as AQD, and the paid for but missed miles as AQM. (So I would still keep my SE status...) :-)
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:09 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
In case of forfeiting, it would only be fair if they consider forfeited money as AQD, and the paid for but missed miles as AQM. (So I would still keep my SE status...) :-)
Nice try, but I think AC builds some assumption of breakage into their pricing. And I doubt very much they intend to credit you (or the rest of us) in any way for that.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:11 pm

Actually the most notable point about the goodwill rebooking policy is that in all cases, Air Canada will get/keep the money during 2020. All travel to be completed by the end of the year or forfeited and no refund.

Personally I'd rather they keep the SE and give back a paid TATL J fare!

It's also my understanding (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that if you cancel and rebook later that you can only buy one ticket, not say two separate tickets if you suddenly can't take that TATL J but instead use the credit to travel within Canada and want to spread the funds over two trips?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Nice try, but I think AC builds some assumption of breakage into their pricing. And I doubt very much they intend to credit you (or the rest of us) in any way for that.
So you mean instead of giving up the money I already spent I'll need to fly some unnecessary trips just to keep the status. :-)

Fine then if they insist. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.