Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Paid revenue seats on J AC YVR-YYZ switched to AC Rouge J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Paid revenue seats on J AC YVR-YYZ switched to AC Rouge J

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Edit: Wasn't a constructive statement.
DestinaLente1 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:05 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DestinaLente1
I will be a bee in their bonnet because this isn't right. And certainly, if AC wants to keep my loyalty and my $$$$ for J class long haul 2-3x a year, it must do the right thing.
What exactly is "the right thing"? If you had chosen to book a rouge flight YVR-YYZ originally, that wouldn't have been any cheaper than what you did book.

I agree with you that it's a measurably worse producto, but if they give you a $300 eCoupon each, or a couple of 10-20% off codes, which is what I was alluding to, is that not fair?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I have had a similar situation, flying Seoul-Vancouver-Toronto, having booked a lie-flat from YVR-YYZ, and then being switched to a 321 due to late arrival.
I just walked off the plane, asked them to put me on the next wide-body - which was the next morning - and the hotel was covered by my travel insurance.
This. The time to argue this is before departure. If you don't want to be on the non-signature class J product, get off the plane and find out your options. Otherwise you're essentially agreeing to the change and might get some goodwill compensation (unless what they're providing is an involuntary downgrade in violation of certain consumer regulations in places such as the EU, etc.).

I recently observed something similar. I was travelling with a P25 colleague a few days ago and got to the airport well in advance of our flight. He went to the kiosk to check in (not sure why he didn't use the priority line, which he's entitled to), but his status wasn't recognized and the system charged him for a bag. He entered the credit card number, and paid, then told me he was going to ask about whether he should have gotten a free bag or not (I told him he was entitled to have up to 2 free bags). He complained, was told that they couldn't process the refund at the airport, and given Customer Service contact to apply for a refund. Now he's got to spend time trying to get his refund - had he simply asked the agent (who was standing 10 feet away from him) when something seemed wrong the problem could have been addressed before it was too late.

If something seems wrong, speak up at the time. While a 10-20% discount might not generally seem very good, in this situation if the OP generally only flies a few times a year, and in paid J, the savings could be more than the equivalent Signature Class Surcharge (which isn't charged on international itineraries).
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC50k, Fairmont Platinum, Marriott
Originally Posted by rankourabu
You will frustrate yourself and get nowhere.
Vote with your wallet and fly someone else next time, the only language AC understands.
Right you are... I am more than halfway there.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
AC doesn't care about loyalty to or from someone who flies 2-3x a year.
True that. You wonder what they care about.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What exactly is "the right thing"? If you had chosen to book a rouge flight YVR-YYZ originally, that wouldn't have been any cheaper than what you did book.
But I hadn't chosen a Rouge flight.

I agree with you that it's a measurably worse producto, but if they give you a $300 eCoupon each, or a couple of 10-20% off codes, which is what I was alluding to, is that not fair?
$300 eCoupon is the equivalent of less than 10% what we paid for our tickets so I wouldn't be a happy camper. However, a couple of 10%-20% codes would be OK. But do they do that? As far as I know, I've only gotten single 10% coupons in the past, i.e., never a couple.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Yes, they were lie-flats. It was a downgrade because J on Rouge isn't at par with J on AC. Yes, iPad, and yes, very dated seats.
It is not on par with "Signature Class". But what you got isn't that different than mainline J on that route (e.g. when I fly YVR-YOW on a mainline A321).

Not to be an apologist, and I can see why you are annoyed - you were expcting X and got Y. OTOH AC is short aircraft due to the 737MAX grounding and Rouge aircraft are being used / subbed all over the place. If you want to avoid this risk as rankourabu says you can certainly vote with your wallet.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
It is not on par with "Signature Class". But what you got isn't that different than mainline J on that route (e.g. when I fly YVR-YOW on a mainline A321).

Not to be an apologist, and I can see why you are annoyed - you were expcting X and got Y. OTOH AC is short aircraft due to the 737MAX grounding and Rouge aircraft are being used / subbed all over the place. If you want to avoid this risk as rankourabu says you can certainly vote with your wallet.
I'll be voting EVA or ANA with my wallet for sure. Yes, definitely annoyed. I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on Rouge not being that different than mainline J. We'd flown YYZ-YVR just 10 days before so the difference was quite discombobulating
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I mean, don't try and play any loyalty card. You got what you paid for. Any compensation would be very much a good will gesture. There is a good story to be told, and then there is being over the top.

2-3 flights a year is nothing.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$300 eCoupon is the equivalent of less than 10% what we paid for our tickets so I wouldn't be a happy camper. However, a couple of 10%-20% codes would be OK. But do they do that? As far as I know, I've only gotten single 10% coupons in the past, i.e., never a couple.
OTOH, the domestic flight from Vancouver was also a small portion of the overall trip.

This said, a 15% discount for two can be worth signifcantly more for people for buy two J (or even P) class tickets to overseas destinations.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:21 pm

I'll be voting EVA or ANA with my wallet for sure. Yes, definitely annoyed. I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on Rouge not being that different than mainline J. We'd flown YYZ-YVR just 10 days before so the difference was quite discombobulating
How are you defining "mainline J"? Signature Class, or the typical narrow body J recliner seats? Was your YYZ-YVR Signature Class or regular mainline J?

FWIW, Signature Class (i.e. lie-flat seats) is relatively rare domestically and typically only sold on a few specific routes. Even then, maybe only 1/2 the flights on the route might offer Signature Class. Picking a random date next week (Jan 27), I see that there are 11 non-stop flights YVR-YYZ, and only 5 of those have lie-flat seats. Also, the only rouge flight on the route Jan 27 (and this appears to be common for next week) is at 1:30am (i.e. the last flight out for the night) - although this could have been different for the day of your trip for operational reasons.

Unfortunately misconnects happen, but on a route such as YVR-YYZ it is just as likely that the next flight will have regular J seats instead of lie-flats. Would you have been as upset if you were in regular J on mainline, or is it the fact that you were on rouge that upsets you? What would have been more important to you at the time - having 5 hours in a lie-flat seat (and possibly waiting until the next day for an open seat), or getting to YYZ at the earliest available time?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
People who fly 15-16 times a year?
NextTrip and canadiancow like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:21 pm

What does a "percent off" coupon get you if you don't want to fly with them again? You are talking out both sides of your mouth.

Did you get where you were going? If so, I'd call it a day and move on.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
You really don't need to keep writing in red, you know.

Less than 10% of what you paid? AC still got you where you were going, and if the journey was YYZ-YVR-TPE round trip (or vice versa), the leg you were downgraded on was only like 16% of the trip.

As for a couple of codes, AC generally offers compensation to each affected passenger, and you keep saying "we", so assuming you had a significant other or someone else with you, it would be common for AC to offer 2 x $300 eCoupon or 2 x 10% discount code or whatever.

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
But what you got isn't that different than mainline J on that route (e.g. when I fly YVR-YOW on a mainline A321).
I disagree with you on that. The rouge 763s are an abomination. The seats are horrendously uncomfortable, terrible overhead bin space, etc, etc. They're a marked downgrade from any other mainline or rouge jet.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
What I still don't get, in any color, is what the OP wanted here.
It appears there was a missed connection resulting in rebooking into the next scheduled flight. AC could not magically turn back time and rebook the OP on the original flight. It was gone. If what equipment OP was on was more important than getting home quickly, the OP should have said something before. I personally would have been livid if I wasn't rebooked onto the next scheduled flight on the chance that I might prefer to sit around a few hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.