Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Paid revenue seats on J AC YVR-YYZ switched to AC Rouge J

Question: Paid revenue seats on J AC YVR-YYZ switched to AC Rouge J

Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC50k, Fairmont Platinum, Marriott
Angry Paid revenue seats on J AC YVR-YYZ switched to AC Rouge J

We flew TPE-YVR-YYZ as revenue passengers in J class. Our TPE-YVR flight was delayed due to aircraft issues so they had to rebook our YVR-YYZ segment, for which they put us in J, BUT on AC Rouge. To think that when I had booked my segments months before, I had made sure to avoid AC Rouge at all costs. I had asked the agents at the TPE counter to change the YVR-YYZ flights but they wouldn't. I found J on Rouge to be a downgrade and would like compensation for that segment. I have filed with AC Customer Relations and have a case number. I haven't heard back after 10 days. Have contacted ACAltitude and AC on Twitter as well but no one has replied either. Naturally, I'm extremely frustrated (and disappointed) at this treatment and wish to know how long I should be waiting for AC Customer Relations to respond. What has been Flyer Talk members' experience? I'm keen to know what others think, too, about AC switching us to Rouge. Thanks very much in advance.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
10 days is nothing. You can be waiting up to 2 months. They will likely offer you a (nearly useless) 10% off coupon for the inconvenience since technically you got what you paid for. Next time, fly EVA!
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Was the original YVR-YYZ aircraft lie-flats? If so, you're entitled to some compensation. Otherwise how was it a downgrade? iPad instead of really dated IFE seats? 1" less seat pitch?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
Was the original YVR-YYZ aircraft lie-flats? If so, you're entitled to some compensation.
No you're not. The surcharge isn't levied on intercontinental itineraries, so there's nothing to refund. But this is the only situation I'd bother fighting.

]Otherwise how was it a downgrade? iPad instead of really dated IFE seats? 1" less seat pitch?
Agreed.
DestinaLente1 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
10 days is nothing. You can be waiting up to 2 months. They will likely offer you a (nearly useless) 10% off coupon for the inconvenience since technically you got what you paid for. Next time, fly EVA!
Thanks for responding -- I'm certainly leaning towards EVA since I like their product a lot. Two months -- UGH. And thanks but no thanks to 10% off
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Was the original YVR-YYZ aircraft lie-flats? If so, you're entitled to some compensation. Otherwise how was it a downgrade? iPad instead of really dated IFE seats? 1" less seat pitch?
Yes, they were lie-flats. It was a downgrade because J on Rouge isn't at par with J on AC. Yes, iPad, and yes, very dated seats.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No you're not. The surcharge isn't levied on intercontinental itineraries, so there's nothing to refund. But this is the only situation I'd bother fighting.

Agreed.
Definitely what I'm going to fight over.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Oh dear. I would be very unhappy about this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Oh dear. I would be very unhappy about this.
Yeah -- especially since we fly on our own dime.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DestinaLente1
I have found the rouge 763 seats are equally uncomfortable whether I've paid or someone else has.

Did you ask in YVR about re-booking to a later flight to avoid rouge (or earlier, if that was even possible)? And were you dealing with the concierge or just check-in agents?

I think you pretty much have the answer - technically nothing is due, but if you write in, AC will probably offer you a discount code or something else that could be worth a few bucks.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I have found the rouge 763 seats are equally uncomfortable whether I've paid or someone else has.

Did you ask in YVR about re-booking to a later flight to avoid rouge (or earlier, if that was even possible)? And were you dealing with the concierge or just check-in agents?
There was no time to ask about rebooking at YVR as we were met by concierge at the gate and we practically ran with her through the whole process of immigration and getting our luggage and putting them on the belt again. I didn't have time to think after a long sleepless flight and my thought faculties only returned when we were already on board and that WAIT-A-MINUTE-WHAT-AM-I-DOING-ON-ROUGE hit me. And by then it was too late.

I think you pretty much have the answer - technically nothing is due, but if you write in, AC will probably offer you a discount code or something else that could be worth a few bucks.
I will be a bee in their bonnet because this isn't right. And certainly, if AC wants to keep my loyalty and my $$$$ for J class long haul 2-3x a year, it must do the right thing.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:35 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Revenue, own dime, upgrade or points wouldn't affect how I treat this , personally.

Either way , It wouldn't bother me
AceReport likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I will be a bee in their bonnet because this isn't right. And certainly, if AC wants to keep my loyalty and my $$$$ for J class long haul 2-3x a year, it must do the right thing.
You will frustrate yourself and get nowhere.
Vote with your wallet and fly someone else next time, the only language AC understands.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
AC doesn't care about loyalty to or from someone who flies 2-3x a year.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I have had a similar situation, flying Seoul-Vancouver-Toronto, having booked a lie-flat from YVR-YYZ, and then being switched to a 321 due to late arrival.
I just walked off the plane, asked them to put me on the next wide-body - which was the next morning - and the hotel was covered by my travel insurance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.