Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will Air Canada Cancel a Reservation if I Buy Two Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Air Canada Cancel a Reservation if I Buy Two Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: AC SE
Interesting. I have a confirmed itinerary in comfort to a Caribbean destination in duplicate that I booked with their 30% promo over a month ago and both are still live.
I have a YYC-YYZ-XXX-YYZ-YYC and the same but with the last leg on a different ticket so I can stay 2 days in YYZ instead of 1. The first 3 segments are booked on the exact same flight numbers.

I wasn't aware this was against the tariff. I'll have to have a closer read.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It's possible that it was flagged by the dupe detector and you weren't notified. I've never been notified of any booking it has cancelled - one fairly definitive observation I've made is that it never notifies if either booking involves a flight pass credit. Not applicable in your case, but I've had other situations where I know it has been flagged but I've not been notified.

Unfortunately there's no self-serve way to tell whether something has been flagged. It does apparently flag the file or put notes on it or something, so AC agents can tell if they look at the booking that something has been flagged. It's possible that's how the Concierge knew about yours.
The concierges get a printout of all SEs travelling from/through(/to?) their station that day.

At YYZ, they might miss it. I've seen the printout at YEG, and it's... smaller than you'd assume.

I'm 100% sure that's how they noticed it.

I've also had emails from SFO 3 days in advance about this, because certain concierges are that proactive. In that case I forgot I had two, so I cancelled one myself.

Originally Posted by billdokes
Neither were cancelled by the system, I ended up cancelling both of them (without any cost or penalty as a SE) as I didn't end up going to YEG as planned prior. Not really sure how they can justify cancelling flexible bookings that conflict when they could be legitimate and by some of their most valuable clients...ie: a SEMM Management Consultant that needs to travel but isn't sure if they can make the 2 pm or the 4pm, or the SE2MM IT Consultant who isn't sure if they need to be in EWR or YYZ on a given day....I'm sure we could come up with many more examples.

Isn't that the whole point of flexible bookings? They cost a TON because they are flexible and can be refunded?
No, the point is that if you decide you're not going somewhere, you can cancel.

Or if you end up needing to go somewhere else, you can change without fees.

Their intention is not so you can hold space in 8 flights when in reality it would be impossible for you to take more than 1.

Originally Posted by expert7700
I have a hard enough time not getting my and my son's bookings cancelled as duplicate. ZERO caracters in our first or middle name match, we have completely different birthdates, and different Aeroplan elite numbers.
​​​​​​
I mean if you're going to bring that up, you should probably mention the actual reason you know it's a problem...
Old Jan 19, 2024, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The short answer is likely yes, although maybe not. They don't even have to be on the same flight to get flagged, they just need to conflict, in the duplicate booking detector's judgment. So you might book a totally legal YYC-YVR-YCD-YYZ-YYC trip across 2-3 itineraries with legal connections at each point, and have it be flagged by the dupe detector and possibly cancelled. Or you might have a YYC-YVR, YYC-YUL, and YYC-YOW all departing at the same time and have none of them flagged.
Just wondering, how long does the dupe detector take to work? Within hours? Days?

WS flight in question has been CXL'd 7 times already this year and arrived too late to make the connection 4x.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:03 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Does anyone know what happens if I have two tickets for the same date but from completely different cities? so for example one,
from Singapore to Toronto and then another one from Paris to Toronto.

I ask because I知 looking at bookings one year from now and I知 not 100% sure where I知 going, but Both cities are showing great prices so I want to lock them in now and decide later
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by tdot_guy
Does anyone know what happens if I have two tickets for the same date but from completely different cities? so for example one,
from Singapore to Toronto and then another one from Paris to Toronto.

I ask because I知 looking at bookings one year from now and I知 not 100% sure where I知 going, but Both cities are showing great prices so I want to lock them in now and decide later
It likely counts as a duplicate booking. I'm not sure what your flight timings are but I'd imagine the flight times overlap so it would be impossible for you to take both flights.
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 1:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
One will be cancelled in my experience.
kalderlake likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.