Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by DCAFly
You should asked him to immediately call an immigration agent so you could have seen THEIR reaction when they were asked to deport a Canadian citizen. And if you were feeling cheeky, ask all the other passengers within earshot to stay around and record it on their phones.

Ok, maybe the first suggestion, definitely not the second, which probably would have gotten you "deboarded."
Perhaps the GA meant deported from the US preclearance area?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Where is the crowd applauding this GA for following Zoned Boarding procedure and denying those who attempt to board outside their assigned zone?
canadiancow and RangerNS like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Where is the crowd applauding this GA for following Zoned Boarding procedure and denying those who attempt to board outside their assigned zone?
Well the OP was trying to board in their correct zone, albeit not the assigned zone, but that's just another example of AC's inability to do something like print the correct Zone on a BP. And sure this could be due to the OP doing something wrong like booking on a different card, but when we consider the current state of AC IT, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the odds are the OP is correct here.

But regardless of what the OP may or may not have done (assuming there was no yelling, name calling, abusive behaviour etc...) the GAs response was completely out of proportion, verging on I work at the airport, you're wrong, egotistical and completely unprofessional and I hope that AC investigates this and takes appropriate action and compensation for the OP. In reality I expect the best outcome would be a promise to investigate it (and maybe a slap on the wrist) and a 25% discount voucher off base fare of a future AC metal only flight.
leoo likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by chessman
Perhaps the GA meant deported from the US preclearance area?
Even if that's what they meant, gate agents are not CBSA/USCBP agents or Judges and have no authority to deport anyone. Just because someone works at the airport doesn't give them unlimited authority.

I'm not even sure a CBSA agent could deport someone, I think only a Superior Court Judge could do that. I'm making a distinction between deportation and refusing entry, a CBSA agent can refuse entry to someone, but I don't think they could make a deportation order to someone already in the country. I'm also 100% sure it can't be as arbitrary as the fact situation presented by the OP. I'm sure someone who knows immigration law better than me can correct me.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Fine. So celebrated.

OP was carrying around a BP for minutes to hours and chose to hold up the process and jump the line when him wasting the GAs time would hold up dozens of people.

And then the GA responded inappropriately.

But OP was wrong first.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Asking the gate agent's name is unnecessary in this situation. I've had AC customer service deal with a problem agent just by giving them the flight details and physical description of the agent. You could even discretely take a picture of him as a backup plan, although not advisable once the confrontation has already begun.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That it has happened before doesn't make it any less wrong. If an agent is asked their name, they should give it, or at least their first name. Bullying should not be supported, and that's what this was.
jigri2003 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:01 pm

Regardless of whether OP overly provoked the GA or not, I agree that this was a disgusting display of bullying by the idiot GA and he completely deserves to be reported.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:34 pm

many responses are nuts!

This is why I only occasionally look at Flyertalk threads. Seems like half the folks responding to an incident are experts at "blame the victim" no matter how egregious the airline or staff member. This is a great example. Assuming the description by the passenger is accurate (and it is all we have), some things are obvious: the passenger was truly scared; the gate agent was far beyond rude, he was outrageous. And the question of what was the right answer about boarding priority is of course irrelevant. Why threaten to separate a couple by not boarding the husband? Why get angry if someone asks your name? What on earth would move you to tell someone they were to be deported? (There are people for whom that is a life-and-death matter and the gate agent could not have known what "deportation" meant to this passenger).

And all of the "Cardinal rule is don't confront or escalate"? Are we sheep? Do we live in totalitarian countries? Why be afraid to ask for a staff member's name? That somehow makes everything that transpires afterward your fault?Nonsense. Get a grip.

For what it is worth -not that it will matter to those of you who blame Jack the Ripper's victims for choosing to walk in London - I don't yell or swear at people, I write many more "thank you's" than complaints, I try to help flight attendants, I volunteer to give-up my assigned seat when families are separated, etc., and I know if I am pleasant and positive, it's more likely it will be a good trip. However, I am no Mother Teresa and I won't travel scared or subservient, and I have seen some really awful behavior on and around flights, much more frequently by passengers that staff, but wrong is simply wrong and silence is not a magic answer.
jigri2003, leoo and Gino Troian like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jasletra
This is why I only occasionally look at Flyertalk threads. Seems like half the folks responding to an incident are experts at "blame the victim" no matter how egregious the airline or staff member. This is a great example. Assuming the description by the passenger is accurate (and it is all we have), some things are obvious: the passenger was truly scared; the gate agent was far beyond rude, he was outrageous. And the question of what was the right answer about boarding priority is of course irrelevant. Why threaten to separate a couple by not boarding the husband? Why get angry if someone asks your name? What on earth would move you to tell someone they were to be deported? (There are people for whom that is a life-and-death matter and the gate agent could not have known what "deportation" meant to this passenger).

And all of the "Cardinal rule is don't confront or escalate"? Are we sheep? Do we live in totalitarian countries? Why be afraid to ask for a staff member's name? That somehow makes everything that transpires afterward your fault?Nonsense. Get a grip.

For what it is worth -not that it will matter to those of you who blame Jack the Ripper's victims for choosing to walk in London - I don't yell or swear at people, I write many more "thank you's" than complaints, I try to help flight attendants, I volunteer to give-up my assigned seat when families are separated, etc., and I know if I am pleasant and positive, it's more likely it will be a good trip. However, I am no Mother Teresa and I won't travel scared or subservient, and I have seen some really awful behavior on and around flights, much more frequently by passengers that staff, but wrong is simply wrong and silence is not a magic answer.
I think a lot of it comes down to just how preposterous the situation is. No GA would ever react that way to these circumstances. It's insane... or at least it seems that way until you've encountered agents/employees like that.

I still think "deported" was a misunderstood "deboarded". They're practically homonyms. The former makes zero sense (though as I said above...), while the latter is pretty much exactly what the GA was saying ("not flying").
tcook052, canopus27 and RangerNS like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I still think "deported" was a misunderstood "deboarded".
Except, OP had not boarded. Could only have been offloaded.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Except, OP had not boarded. Could only have been offloaded.
Except OP had scanned his boarding pass. At that point, he's boarded in the system.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still think "deported" was a misunderstood "deboarded". They're practically homonyms. The former makes zero sense (though as I said above...), while the latter is pretty much exactly what the GA was saying ("not flying").
Or it was a mis-speak.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I think a lot of it comes down to just how preposterous the situation is. No GA would ever react that way to these circumstances. It's insane... or at least it seems that way until you've encountered agents/employees like that.

Agreed.

And it's also really difficult to discern any number of contributory factors ... actions, words, behaviors, by both the GA and the OP.

I'm not saying it's the case here, but we have had threads on this board before when an aggrieved poster complained about their terrible treatment by an AC GA .... only to have the story turn on it's head when other passengers on the same flight also turned out to be FT posters, and provided a very different perspective on the original story.

I can't find that thread now (paging 24left ) and again, I have no evidence to state that anything similar occurred here ... perhaps it really was just a terrible GA having a terrible day ... but it sure sounds like something made the conversation escalate pretty darn quickly.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
Agreed.

And it's also really difficult to discern any number of contributory factors ... actions, words, behaviors, by both the GA and the OP.

I'm not saying it's the case here, but we have had threads on this board before when an aggrieved poster complained about their terrible treatment by an AC GA .... only to have the story turn on it's head when other passengers on the same flight also turned out to be FT posters, and provided a very different perspective on the original story.

I can't find that thread now (paging 24left ) and again, I have no evidence to state that anything similar occurred here ... perhaps it really was just a terrible GA having a terrible day ... but it sure sounds like something made the conversation escalate pretty darn quickly.
AC569 Denied Boarding - Seeking Witnesses/Accounts (1/11 SFO-YVR)

The search term is "witnesses".
canopus27 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.