Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:09 pm

As a gate agent at a non-hub airport I'm going to chime in:
a) More often than not if there's a discrepancy on the boarding zone the affected customer will raise it in advance and we'll correct it if necessary
b) If someone boards in a zone other than the one that's printed on the b/pass I'll politely ask them to board with the correct zone
c) If they insist then I'll ask for "proof" why? (Usually they'll have the relevant card out already), If they just feel entitled to board out of order I will not board them.
d) I wear my brevette so my name is always available

When I do ask someone to leave the line and board in the correct zone often the two or three customers behind that person thank me for respecting the zone.

Just my two cents, adjusted for inflation.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by GS4ACUSA
As a gate agent at a non-hub airport I'm going to chime in:
a) More often than not if there's a discrepancy on the boarding zone the affected customer will raise it in advance and we'll correct it if necessary
Can you correct the Boarding Zone of this particular case without re-assigning seats ?

I am genuinely curious as I was told umpteen times that this is not possible. Would like to have your opinion.

Also, did you knew that cobranded CC can get Zone 2 boarding or it is not communicated at all during training / similar work communications ?

At boarding time, we lined up for zone 2 boarding, showed our cards, and explained to the two gate agents (a female and a male) that the card was supposed to give us zone 2 boarding. The male was very rude and yelled "You don't get zone 2 boarding, the card gives you priority checkin, but not priority boarding".
Here the GA is stating without doubt that the card doesn't give Zone 2 boarding where as AC documentation states Zone 2 is for cobranded CC (https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html)
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
if as SE the boarding pass is printed incorrectly who here would not raise the issue? Or would you all meekly just board at 4 if the boarding pass said that?
I would raise the issue, but I'd raise it when I noticed the discrepancy in the very important document I was handed, when I was handed it. Id raise it with a lounge dragon, and I'd raise it with a concierge. I'd not wait until the last minute - no, during the last instant - to raise it.

If several rounds of trying to get it fixed before the gate did not fix it, I'd ask again, at the gate, before boarding. Once boarding has started, I'd board as allowed on the BP because the time to fix that has passed.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I would raise the issue, but I'd raise it when I noticed the discrepancy in the very important document I was handed, when I was handed it. Id raise it with a lounge dragon, and I'd raise it with a concierge. I'd not wait until the last minute - no, during the last instant - to raise it.

If several rounds of trying to get it fixed before the gate did not fix it, I'd ask again, at the gate, before boarding. Once boarding has started, I'd board as allowed on the BP because the time to fix that has passed.
Also, in that case, literally pointing at the status on the BP is sufficient. Being SE is sufficient for zone 1.

Having an Aeroplan credit card is not sufficient for zone 2. Nothing that can be quickly flashed to a GA is sufficient in this case.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Also, in that case, literally pointing at the status on the BP is sufficient. Being SE is sufficient for zone 1.

Having an Aeroplan credit card is not sufficient for zone 2. Nothing that can be quickly flashed to a GA is sufficient in this case.
Suppose it's really important to check that before it means annoying 100 people you will be stuck on a metal tube with for 2 hours.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
Is this mandated or made as a pre-requisite for the required benefit as per communication provided by AC? The verbiage only says that this benefit will be recognized in the BP when zonal boarding is available but doesn't mandate that Zone 2 should be written on BP to get Zone 2 boarding.
I would have to say it is necessary.

OP's card benefit is restrictive, i.e. OP can enjoy certain AC benefits only when OP's travel qualify. IIRC, OP can only enjoy BG2 with award travel on AC only.

Because BP does not mention anything about award travel. So the only way to identify OP's eligibility for BG2 is the BP. Showing the card IS NOT sufficient due to the restrictive nature of the benefit.

so if GA does not have this knowledge even after 5 years & becoming hostile & outright denying a pax need to get better training.
As said above, OP's card benefit is restrictive. So not every AC travel qualifies for BG2. Unless OP's BP has any specific coding identifying OP was on award travel, the GA denial of BG2 was justified.

Attitude? Yes - the GA had issues.

I am assuming it is same with OP. OP had already stated - this used to work multiple times for him so he tried Zone 2 boarding because he has right to get zone 2 boarding as per benefits of the cobranded card.
I start to have my own doubt once I know the restrictive nature of the benefit. But again, my focus was on this. I express no comment whether OP had abused this in the past.

I can say from my personal experience that both AE and AC in the past advised me to board when zone 2 is called and flash my BP & CC.
Again - per the benefit wording, this is not enough.

Sorry but doesn't BP zoning get overridden for innumerable reasons? Elderly, Family boarding, heavy luggage, children - what not - all these pax might have Zone 5/6 boarding but overridden on a case to case basis. Does all these cases need to get their BP changed ? Nope. OP's scenario is also similar.
There was nothing adequate to justify the override, i.e. OP's BP did not specify it was an award travel.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS

+1000
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Personally, I came to know about this long back when I had an AE reservation which showed Zone 2 when i got my initial BP - but i changed to my UA FF and the zonal descriptor changed to zone 4 i guess. I changed back to AE FF, still it gave me zone 4 instead of zone 2 (i explained this case in my earlier post).

I contacted Aeroplan at that time and was advised to flash my CC with BP to an AC agent. I did that and no qualms by anyone. Next time it happened while i was unable to complete a web checkin (system issue) - so i checked in at the airport - same story - no zone 2; i spoke to the AC staff at the desk - they gave me priority check in and told me that they cant manually update the zonal preference unless they modify seats (and the flight was nearly full) & advised me to board when zone 2 is called and show GA the card + BP and tell this issue happened. From then on - I never asked anyone, instead flash my card when zone 2 is called and always got approved. No qualms till date - always pleasant smile from GA.
Thank you so much for sharing this. So you were also told to show you CC at the time of boarding, and no qualms to date with GAs.

In the past I had contacted AC, aeroplan, and the CC issuer, and they all pointed fingers at each other (about the BP not printing zone 2)

if GA does not have this knowledge even after 5 years & becoming hostile & outright denying a pax need to get better training.

I am assuming it is same with OP. OP had already stated - this used to work multiple times for him so he tried Zone 2 boarding because he has right to get zone 2 boarding as per benefits of the cobranded card.

AC need to own this up and provide crystal clear clarity on the benefits and train their staff equally. The pax is liaising with AC through its employees - if multiple past instances got it through without qualms and if one guy is making up rules - the pax will be inclined to report that incident.

I can say from my personal experience that both AE and AC in the past advised me to board when zone 2 is called and flash my BP & CC. Agreed that, I don't have it in writing - but this was what was told to me in the past. If a GA denies me contradicting to all info thats shared to me over multiple instances. , i will be like the OP and get it escalated.
Thank you again. It is the same experience. AC and ae know the BP should've printed zone 2, and told us to go boarding when zone 2 is called and show the CC.

Again if the GA didn't know the rule and politely said no, that would've been alright. The male GA's rude berating and arm-waving, was upsetting. It was then shocking that after asking for his name, his explosive reaction (which was not backed up by his female GA partner) I was truly worried he will actually deny me boarding, separating my wife and I, merely for asking his name.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Someone upthread suggested that the GA needs to be retrained. IMO this GA needs to be fired.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by garykung

OP's card benefit is restrictive, i.e. OP can enjoy certain AC benefits only when OP's travel qualify. IIRC, OP can only enjoy BG2 with award travel on AC only.

Because BP does not mention anything about award travel. So the only way to identify OP's eligibility for BG2 is the BP. Showing the card IS NOT sufficient due to the restrictive nature of the benefit.

There was nothing adequate to justify the override, i.e. OP's BP did not specify it was an award travel.
I beg to disagree - for a trained GA - in 90% of cases BP alone is required as award travel is booked in specific fare class.

Example - award travel on economy is booked on X and on business class is booked on I. The only exception is when an IRROP occurs and the pax gets rebooked to a revenue fare class.

Edit : The BP will clearly show the fare class & as such a quick look will show whether it is an award travel. (BP only shows cabin class)

Plus, scanning the BP at Gate Check shows enough and more info regarding the pax including fare code, who booked it (like an AE booking) and what not.

I express no comment whether OP had abused this in the past.
I am puzzled on what makes you believe that this is an abuse; tbh I am quite shocked on how you arrive at assumptions.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; Jan 24, 2020 at 11:03 pm Reason: Correction
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
If as SE you were told just show your card and you can board with group one regardless of what BP says I think we all would. I know I have been told that and have done that. And had no issues. If the GA raised a fuss I would comply but also note their name.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:49 pm

In situations like this I wish OP were someone important. Too bad, cause then the gate agent would have messed with the wrong person and gotten fired (and hopefully worse).
Another thing that would have been nice is for this interaction to be videotaped and then the gate agent can see the power of the internet.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I beg to disagree - for a trained GA - in 90% of cases BP alone is required as award travel is booked in specific fare class.

Example - award travel on economy is booked on X and on business class is booked on I. The only exception is when an IRROP occurs and the pax gets rebooked to a revenue fare class.

The BP will clearly show the fare class & as such a quick look will show whether it is an award travel.

Plus, scanning the BP at Gate Check shows enough and more info regarding the pax including fare code, who booked it (like an AE booking) and what not.

I am puzzled on what makes you believe that this is an abuse; tbh I am quite shocked on how you arrive at assumptions.
BP doesn't have fare class.

And it has to be booked from your account and you have to be the primary cardholder.

PNR remarks can confirm it was redeemed from your account. I'm not sure how to determine primary cardholder.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:00 pm

I start to have my own doubt once I know the restrictive nature of the benefit. But again, my focus was on this. I express no comment whether OP had abused this in the past.
"You and your companions travelling on the same reservation can enjoy the convenience of priority boarding when traveling on Aeroplan flight rewards¹ redeemed from your Aeroplan account. Where zonal boarding is available, your priority boarding benefit will upgrade you to Zone 2."
From the webpages you linked. So, how is OP's flight not applicable? Aeroplan redemption. Are you saying OP used someone else's miles?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
BP doesn't have fare class.

And it has to be booked from your account and you have to be the primary cardholder.

PNR remarks can confirm it was redeemed from your account. I'm not sure how to determine primary cardholder.
Sorry my bad it shows only cabin class and not fare class.

Agreed on this observation that it will be difficult for GA / AC staff to affirm that the pax is a primary cardholder. They might be able to verify as I think lounge dragons were able to see if my Aeroplan account had any active Cobranded CC - so I am guessing AC staff also have potential access to this info. But i am not sure - i may be wrong.

Regardless, given that its a known issue, there should be some internal comms which suggest them to give benefit of doubt. Otherwise, why do you think some of the AE & AC staff advising pax (including me) to flash the BP at Gate in case of issues like this.

AC should have uniform policy; if majority says pax can access the Zone 2 by flashing my card even if BP says otherwise and suddenly if one employee contradicts it - as many others mentioned - pax will be inclined to ask the employee his name so that it is addressed properly. And GA being hostile on such situations is not helping the case
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; Jan 24, 2020 at 11:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.