Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by garykung
Oh my...

As I said, I am not questioning how miles have been earned by anyone. Also - I don't know what credit cards you have. You did not say whether you have flashed your cobrand card for the benefit. Bottom line, you are not the one complaining.

FWIW - it is never an issue about you. You simply take it way too personal.
Ha ha ha, don't worry Nothing is taken on a personal level.

My reaction was based on any award redemption pax - whether it is me / OP / anyone who travel significantly on points and miles & not an elite member. You are making assumptions that - award travel is not possible always because for a non elite, earning significant miles to fly around often is not possible. And thus OP / anyone for that matter will be defrauding by flashing a cobranded card on a non eligible booking.

But somehow the premise of your assumption is flawed - there are innumerable ways for a non elite to earn significantly more miles than any SE at a given time.

The benefit is not a guarantee. TD has made this very clear:

"3 All Air Canada benefits are fulfilled in whole or in part by Air Canada, or its designated affiliates or other third parties, and are subject to change at any time. The Toronto-Dominion Bank and its affiliates are not responsible for fulfilling these benefits. For more details about these benefits, please contact Air Canada directly..."

This is even true for Altitude benefits.
Agreed on this, But benefits are not changed. And you bolded selectively, the statement says TD & Affiliates are not responsible for fulfilling benefits but AC is. So for any benefit related issues, please contact Air Canada directly.

"The Toronto-Dominion Bank and its affiliates are not responsible for fulfilling these benefits. For more details about these benefits, please contact Air Canada directly..."

Per my estimate, the flight should take 15-20 minutes to complete boarding. Your so-called "hardly a minute" can significantly delay the entire process and eventually result delay in departure.
Well not more than the delay caused by GA in this incident. My statement was the time taken to do a PNR lookup will be significantly lower than causing a ruckus with a pax and having constant back and forth arguments.

Now I have to ask you - are you flashing a card that has the benefits in a restrictive nature?
I hold multiple cards but can confirm that albeit having other Infinite Privilege cards, I never held VIP version of TD / CIBC Aeroplan cards. The cards that I flashed (as per suggestion from AE / AC) is exactly same product line as OP - ie, Visa Infinite variant which provide benefits on Aeroplan redemption. And i flashed them while i was redeeming my aeroplan miles as per the t&c of the program when my BP showed zone 4/5 despite being eligible for zone 2 (because AC system doesn't maintain AC*CC marker when you play with your FF numbers)

And as already stated the only revenue flights that I credited to AC with AC FF number are those 6 segments and I never flashed my card (because I know I am not eligible for those benefits).

In short, there is no grounds to assume that OP was abusing his benefit. If it was the case, the GA (and thereby AC) has every right to put a black marker and flag him / her as they know his entire whereabouts including his FF number. Instead, GA was blatantly lying (or ignorant) about the benefits, being hostile and refused to state his name for whatever reasons - and I am inclined to side with CanadianCow

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The only reason I can see someone refuse to provide their first name is if they know they're wrong AND want to hide what they've done.
100%
yscleo likes this.

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; Jan 25, 2020 at 3:35 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Looking up a PNR is insufficient. You need to be the primary cardholder as well.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:48 pm

Looking up a PNR is insufficient. You need to be the primary cardholder as well.
Where does it say that? That is only for the checked bag benefit

"

Complimentary First Checked Bag

As the Primary Cardholder, you'll receive one complimentary first checked bag, when traveling on Aeroplan flight rewards¹ redeemed from your Aeroplan account.

Priority Check-in

You and your companions travelling on the same reservation can enjoy the convenience of priority check–in when traveling on Aeroplan flight rewards¹ redeemed from your Aeroplan account.

Priority Boarding

You and your companions travelling on the same reservation can enjoy the convenience of priority boarding when traveling on Aeroplan flight rewards¹ redeemed from your Aeroplan account. Where zonal boarding is available, your priority boarding benefit will upgrade you to Zone 2."
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Unless there's a way to link a supplementary card to a different Aeroplan account (there isn't), then it's impossible to get AC*CC, and therefore, zone 2.

I'm at the gym so can't easily find the full terms, but I suspect "you" is defined as "primary cardholder".
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Agreed, but IIRC lounge dragons are able to see if a cobranded card is linked to AE profile & thereby they can provide lounge access even if the marker is not working (but I am not 100% sure on this) because one time my marker was missing (instance where i had zone 4/5) but when i gave my BP to lounge dragon - she scanned it and allowed me in without any questions. I am not sure whether its because she could see that I am allowed lounge access based on my cobranded card or whether she was relaxed about lounge policy and allowed me in. (I am inclined to believe it is former as usually MLL Lounge Dragons are very strict when compared to PP lounges)

Thus, I am assuming (with no guarentee) that AC agents might also be able to see if there is a cobranded CC on the pax's AE profile - if yes, that solves this problem of verifying primary card holder as addon cards are not linked to corresponding aeroplan profiles.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Where does it say that? That is only for the checked bag benefit

"

Complimentary First Checked Bag

As the Primary Cardholder, you'll receive one complimentary first checked bag, when traveling on Aeroplan flight rewards¹ redeemed from your Aeroplan account.

Priority Check-in

You and your companions travelling on the same reservation can enjoy the convenience of priority check–in when traveling on Aeroplan flight rewards¹ redeemed from your Aeroplan account.

Priority Boarding

You and your companions travelling on the same reservation can enjoy the convenience of priority boarding when traveling on Aeroplan flight rewards¹ redeemed from your Aeroplan account. Where zonal boarding is available, your priority boarding benefit will upgrade you to Zone 2."
Unless there's a way to link a supplementary card to a different Aeroplan account (there isn't), then it's impossible to get AC*CC, and therefore, zone 2.

I'm at the gym so can't easily find the full terms, but I suspect "you" is defined as "primary cardholder".
Yes, how it works is as long as companions are booked on the same PNR as primary cardholder - when the BP is issued, all BP under that PNR will show AC*CC marker provided everything works well AND you haven't touched anything (especially FF number).

This works in a different way as well,
Person1 - Primary Cardholder of cobranded card
Person2 - random pax who is friends / related to Person1 but have no association with cobranded card.

Suppose Person2 books from Person1's Aeroplan profile and if Person2 and Person1's names are very close - then Person 2 will be issued a BP with zone 2 marker (AC*CC) even though he has no cobranded CC.

The technical system on how this benefit is rendered is very faulty & hence multiple times genuine pax will not get the marker because its very easy to lose it permanently. Only way to get it back is to cancel that booking and rebook.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mapleg
You have led a charmed life if one of your biggest concerns is boarding in zone 2 or 4 on an award flight in economy.
In fairness, the priority boarding perk is often most important when flying in economy...
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
My reaction was based on any award redemption pax - whether it is me / OP / anyone who travel significantly on points and miles & not an elite member. You are making assumptions that - award travel is not possible always because for a non elite, earning significant miles to fly around often is not possible.
Yes - it is an assumption that I have made. And I believe it is reasonable to make such assumption

And thus OP / anyone for that matter will be defrauding by flashing a cobranded card on a non eligible booking.
No - I did not make such assumption. I do believe flashing the card works when you are truly entitled, such as any AC Altitude members, *G, and even Aeroplan credit card holders at the level of Infinite Privilege. The caveat is TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card has such benefit as a restricted manner. So flashing the Visa Infinite Card is not sufficient when you are not assigned to Zone 2.

Well not more than the delay caused by GA in this incident. My statement was the time taken to do a PNR lookup will be significantly lower than causing a ruckus with a pax and having constant back and forth arguments.
AFAICT, per OP, he was supposed to be offloaded. So there should be no delay on the flight unless PPBM.

I hold multiple cards but can confirm that albeit having other Infinite Privilege cards, I never held VIP version of TD / CIBC Aeroplan cards. The cards that I flashed (as per suggestion from AE / AC) is exactly same product line as OP - ie, Visa Infinite variant which provide benefits on Aeroplan redemption. And i flashed them while i was redeeming my aeroplan miles as per the t&c of the program when my BP showed zone 4/5 despite being eligible for zone 2 (because AC system doesn't maintain AC*CC marker when you play with your FF numbers)

And as already stated the only revenue flights that I credited to AC with AC FF number are those 6 segments and I never flashed my card (because I know I am not eligible for those benefits).
I believe you.

In short, there is no grounds to assume that OP was abusing his benefit.
I raised the question. I did not assume anything.

Agreed, but IIRC lounge dragons are able to see if a cobranded card is linked to AE profile & thereby they can provide lounge access even if the marker is not working (but I am not 100% sure on this) because one time my marker was missing (instance where i had zone 4/5) but when i gave my BP to lounge dragon - she scanned it and allowed me in without any questions. I am not sure whether its because she could see that I am allowed lounge access based on my cobranded card or whether she was relaxed about lounge policy and allowed me in. (I am inclined to believe it is former as usually MLL Lounge Dragons are very strict when compared to PP lounges)
Lounge access is more complicated than boarding. In a nutshell, a passenger can get access to MLL when the passenger has absolutely no nexus with AC, such as a UA*G flying UA. I do believe lounge agents have more access.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Exactly.

I once asked a rouge FA for her email. A week later, when I sent in an extremely complimentary letter to someone fairly senior, I BCC'd the FA. She replied and said she had assumed I was going to get her in trouble for something. But even with that mindset, she had no issue handing over a card with her name and email.

The only reason I can see someone refuse to provide their first name is if they know they're wrong AND want to hide what they've done.
exactly.
yscleo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.