Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:24 pm

Is it legal to threaten someone with deportation in Canada? What if the person did it wrongly? Is it possible to get the CBSA to look into it?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Is it legal to threaten someone with deportation in Canada? What if the person did it wrongly? Is it possible to get the CBSA to look into it?
This thread already had a lengthy discussion on this - for simplicity GA meant 'not allowing pax to fly on his scheduled flight' and leave him back at the airport essentially killing his trip. We can call it deporting / de-boarding or whatever each of us deem fit.

Regardless of the verbiage, I agree that threatening a pax just because s/he tried to ask a GA's name is wrong & should be reviewed. From the description of events by OP - i don't think there was a hostile situation or disruption of duty. (based on description alone as I was never party to the incident).

IMHO, As long as there is no grounds for a threat to the comfort and/or safety of staff (including GA) or other passengers - the pax shouldn't be penalized for asking GA's name.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
This thread already had a lengthy discussion on this - for simplicity GA meant 'not allowing pax to fly on his scheduled flight' and leave him back at the airport essentially killing his trip. We can call it deporting / de-boarding or whatever each of us deem fit.

Regardless of the verbiage, I agree that threatening a pax just because s/he tried to ask a GA's name is wrong & should be reviewed. From the description of events by OP - i don't think there was a hostile situation or disruption of duty. (based on description alone as I was never party to the incident).

IMHO, As long as there is no grounds for a threat to the comfort and/or safety of staff (including GA) or other passengers - the pax shouldn't be penalized for asking GA's name.
Canada isn't as litigious as the US, I presume, but I don't know if a court would buy the "he just meant" ... I mean, it isn't like the GA has money to hire good lawyers like Elon Musk
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...alifornia.html
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:49 pm

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Canada isn't as litigious as the US, I presume, but I don't know if a court would buy the "he just meant" ... I mean, it isn't like the GA has money to hire good lawyers like Elon Musk
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...alifornia.html
Fair point - i am not qualified to speak on the legalities of this subject so i will reserve my comments.

However, i think hypothetically AC will also be a party as GA is essentially representing AC. I believe (&hope) OP had already escalated it to AC via proper channels so that we will know whats the official response.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:01 am

Fair point - i am not qualified to speak on the legalities of this subject so i will reserve my comments.

However, i think hypothetically AC will also be a party as GA is essentially representing AC. I believe (&hope) OP had already escalated it to AC via proper channels so that we will know whats the official response.
In America often corporations don't respond unless there is a threat of a lawsuit. Then they respond quickly.

(in terms of saying things, for example it is well established that even though there is freedom of speech you cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theatre and not suffer consequences of the harm it causes to others. And in the US you cannot impersonate a police officer. I don't know how far this goes, but in today's world it gets awfully tricky determing who is who, and who has what powers)
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I am puzzled on what makes you believe that this is an abuse; tbh I am quite shocked on how you arrive at assumptions.
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege Card is the only TD Aeroplan credit card that comes with the true priority boarding. TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card, which OP has, comes with priority boarding on when OP travels on award.

OP once said:

Originally Posted by yscleo
Some suggested that at the gate, I show the CC and the gate agent may let us through. That what I did (showed the card) and in the past the gate agents did let me/us through.
As an elite member, you know that award miles are limited, especially to non-elite. I am not questioning how OP earned his award miles. But given the circumstance that OP's times in award travel are limited, as well as the restrictive nature of the benefit, how many did AC fail to identify BG2 for OP in case of award travel? Or OP actually got BG2 everything he travel on AC, award or not?

While I believe they are valid questions, they are not relate to OP's current incident. That's why I expressed no comment when something starts questionable.

So, how is OP's flight not applicable? Aeroplan redemption. Are you saying OP used someone else's miles?
I am not speculating anything. But based on OP's wording, the flight associated with this incident was an eligible flight. There should be a problem with how the system assigned BG. But this could be affected by AC or TD or even OP.

Agreed on this observation that it will be difficult for GA / AC staff to affirm that the pax is a primary cardholder.
So if we turn back to OP's incident, if OP's BP failed to show BG2, I would say it started looking reasonable for the male GA to deny BG2 boarding based on the restrictive nature of the benefit, as the GA can't possibly run each pax's PNR to determine if it is a qualified reservation or not.

Regardless, given that its a known issue, there should be some internal comms which suggest them to give benefit of doubt.
Why not just fix the issue instead?

Otherwise, why do you think some of the AE & AC staff advising pax (including me) to flash the BP at Gate in case of issues like this.
How about this:

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by garykung
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege Card is the only TD Aeroplan credit card that comes with the true priority boarding. TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card, which OP has, comes with priority boarding on when OP travels on award.

As an elite member, you know that award miles are limited, especially to non-elite. I am not questioning how OP earned his award miles. But given the circumstance that OP's times in award travel are limited, as well as the restrictive nature of the benefit, how many did AC fail to identify BG2 for OP in case of award travel? Or OP actually got BG2 everything he travel on AC, award or not?

While I believe they are valid questions, they are not relate to OP's current incident. That's why I expressed no comment when something starts questionable.
OK, now I get it. And i think i should take time to clear this misconception you and many others have.

I am attaching my account screenshot of both Aeroplan and Air Canada Altitude below.

AE redemptions from June 2019 to Jan 2020

Flights credited to AC - i guess only those 6 AQS that i did to get my E35 AQS run challenge.

Based on your logic, I should be an abuser right ? As I am abusing by flashing my cobranded cards because as a non elite i cannot earn enough miles to redeem??? I am an AC elite from end of Nov 2019 because i did a status challenge to AC sometime prior. And I have a thread asking what benefits i should chose as E35 because I hardly fly revenue flights. 80% of my flights are redemption flights.

How I acquire miles is beyond purview of this thread but for some reason majority of FT fails to understand that "Flying" is just one part of Airline Loyalty programs. Airline / Hotel loyalty programs have other aspects that enable members to earn miles and these are crucial to the revenue & float each loyalty program maintains. This is not limited to AC, it expands to every single major loyalty program in the world including UA, AA, CX, AS you name it.

I cannot state for OP but I can state for myself. Your assumptions leading to the conclusion is very much flawed.
I agree the benefit is restrictive BUT just because someone is a non-elite, concluding that he /she cannot earn miles and redeem for flights is flawed.

You are further leading to assume that OP might have got BG2 on revenue fare as well - for which none of us have any proof and OP clearly stated in his opening post a very lengthy verbiage which says he is redeeming aeroplan miles for a MRTW. Any assumptions beyond it is un-necessary imho.

I am not speculating anything. But based on OP's wording, the flight associated with this incident was an eligible flight. There should be a problem with how the system assigned BG. But this could be affected by AC or TD or even OP.
It can be affected by multiple reasons (i explained major 3 ones in one of my earlier post in this thread) but responsibility of that lies with AC as it is an AC guaranteed benefit. AC include its tech, ops, staff everything.

A pax asking for a guaranteed AC benefit to an AC representative because AC systems failed to automate it on his BP is fair and logical.

So if we turn back to OP's incident, if OP's BP failed to show BG2, I would say it started looking reasonable for the male GA to deny BG2 boarding based on the restrictive nature of the benefit, as the GA can't possibly run each pax's PNR to determine if it is a qualified reservation or not.
In this case - is it reasonable to assume that the GA will take 90% less time to do a PNR lookup than argue with the pax and shout and cause a scene. As per opening post, there was a lot of back and forth - a PNR lookup will take hardly a minute.
Albeit my limitation to substantiate my following statement - I believe in almost all organizations especially customer centric roles - the benefit of doubt is given to the customer unless his / her profile is flagged for abuse. Outright denying benefit without even trying to look up is wrong especially when pax shows the card and claims his benefit. The GA further went to say "this card does not come with priority boarding" which is outright wrong. The GA in question (despite 5-6 year of being priority agent and what not) does not have a clue on Zonal boarding criteria. It is clearly listed here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html and it includes TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite* Card

Why not just fix the issue instead?
Well, agreed - why hasn't they fixed it ? Cobranded CC had been in place for years and years. Changing systems take a lot of time especially for legacy implementations - we all know what chaos arose with Amadeus switch. The business may decide that, it's better to let the pax board on case by case basis and not fully revamp system because former is a much more cost effective resolution. I cannot affirm that AC already did this as I cannot validate it. But based on few instances where I was advised to use the shortcut of flashing my AE card with BP - i am inclined to believe something of this might have been in place
yscleo and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; Jan 25, 2020 at 7:51 am
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: IHG Gold
You have led a charmed life if one of your biggest concerns is boarding in zone 2 or 4 on an award flight in economy.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
You have led a charmed life if one of your biggest concerns is boarding in zone 2 or 4 on an award flight in economy.
Yet another belittlement lol. I am amused by some of these comments & i had expressed my views earlier so not trying to repeat them.

Standing for a guaranteed benefit is same regardless whether a non elite is flying award flights or a SE100 MM flying revenue. It doesn't make a difference.

Why should I be bothered about zone boarding when i fly F or J ? Tbh whenever i fly premium, idgaf on zone boarding because i am almost always sure that there will be space in my overhead bin or in worst case the FA will figure out something. I rather spent some more time at the lounge enjoying a drink than deal with zonal arguments.

But when i fly economy (award) - I am focused on zone 2 (as guaranteed by my cobranded card) because I rather board early so that i have priority access to overhead bin space.

Now my reasons will be different from your reasons & its okay. Each of us have our flying preferences & priorities.

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; Jan 25, 2020 at 8:23 am
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: IHG Gold
It is not a belittlement..it is just not that big a deal to me. Flew TAP earlier this week on economy flight and did not get premium. Boarding I was entitled to. No biggie, and did not need to start a flyertalk thread to complain about it.’
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:46 am

It is not a belittlement..it is just not that big a deal to me. Flew TAP earlier this week on economy flight and did not get premium. Boarding I was entitled to. No biggie, and did not need to start a flyertalk thread to complain about it.’
To each to their own. I believe OP made the thread not just because of denied benefit but because of the experience he faced especially wrt rudeness of the GA and threat to "deport" or "de-board" him from his scheduled flight.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:36 am

And the very fact you are mentioning it? Don't you know there are starving children in Africa?
MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
If everything is as the OP described then the boarding privilege is immaterial. Customer asks a customer facing airline rep for their name then the rep should provide it. For whatever business reason the customer may have. Even if the customer is incorrect. The agent can deal with the complaint later and provide their own facts. AC agents have a very robust union too. What should have been a simple interaction was turned into a circus by a belligerent agent.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
If everything is as the OP described then the boarding privilege is immaterial. Customer asks a customer facing airline rep for their name then the rep should provide it. For whatever business reason the customer may have. Even if the customer is incorrect. The agent can deal with the complaint later and provide their own facts. AC agents have a very robust union too. What should have been a simple interaction was turned into a circus by a belligerent agent.
Exactly.

I once asked a rouge FA for her email. A week later, when I sent in an extremely complimentary letter to someone fairly senior, I BCC'd the FA. She replied and said she had assumed I was going to get her in trouble for something. But even with that mindset, she had no issue handing over a card with her name and email.

The only reason I can see someone refuse to provide their first name is if they know they're wrong AND want to hide what they've done.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Based on your logic, I should be an abuser right ? As I am abusing by flashing my cobranded cards because as a non elite i cannot earn enough miles to redeem???
Oh my...

As I said, I am not questioning how miles have been earned by anyone. Also - I don't know what credit cards you have. You did not say whether you have flashed your cobrand card for the benefit. Bottom line, you are not the one complaining.

FWIW - it is never an issue about you. You simply take it way too personal.

Your assumptions leading to the conclusion is very much flawed.
You are further leading to assume that OP might have got BG2 on revenue fare as well...
I did not assume anything. But I do have questions...

A pax asking for a guaranteed AC benefit to an AC representative because AC systems failed to automate it on his BP is fair and logical.
The benefit is not a guarantee. TD has made this very clear:

"3 All Air Canada benefits are fulfilled in whole or in part by Air Canada, or its designated affiliates or other third parties, and are subject to change at any time. The Toronto-Dominion Bank and its affiliates are not responsible for fulfilling these benefits. For more details about these benefits, please contact Air Canada directly..."

This is even true for Altitude benefits.

As per opening post, there was a lot of back and forth - a PNR lookup will take hardly a minute.
Per my estimate, the flight should take 15-20 minutes to complete boarding. Your so-called "hardly a minute" can significantly delay the entire process and eventually result delay in departure.

But based on few instances where I was advised to use the shortcut of flashing my AE card with BP - i am inclined to believe something of this might have been in place
Now I have to ask you - are you flashing a card that has the benefits in a restrictive nature?

Originally Posted by vernonc
If everything is as the OP described then the boarding privilege is immaterial.
Agree. But it is not the case here. OP's posts did express that he care about the boarding privilege.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The only reason I can see someone refuse to provide their first name is if they know they're wrong AND want to hide what they've done.
I would say this is an incorrect assumption. I simply won't speculate the real reason for the non-disclosure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.