Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Question "Your are not boarding tonight, you're being deported", for asking gate agent's name?

I sent the following to AC Customer Services, but no response yet. But can a gate agent really deny someone boarding, just for asking his name? This was for AC 7683 on 2020.1.1.

--

Hi.

On Jan. 1 night, my wife and I were starting our mini-RTW (round the world) aeroplan redemption, starting in Toronto to Chicago (connecting to Taipei). My wife and I both have TD aeroplan infinite visa cards. We were supposed to get zone 2 boarding as a benefit of the card, but on our boarding pass it's printed zone 4.

At boarding time, we lined up for zone 2 boarding, showed our cards, and explained to the two gate agents (a female and a male) that the card was supposed to give us zone 2 boarding. The male was very rude and yelled "You don't get zone 2 boarding, the card gives you priority checkin, but not priority boarding". He waved at us to go to zone 4 boarding. (In the past, when we showed the cards, the agents understood the rule, and did let us board)

We went to zone 4 to line up. After my wife's boarding pass was scanned, she walked toward the plane. I was behind her and after my boarding pass was scanned, I asked the male agent "What is your name?" I did not raise my voice or make a scene. I only asked for his name.

This male agent angrily shouted at me: "You are not boarding tonight. You are being deported". He then yelled at the other female agent: "Call security. He is not boarding tonight". I was shocked. How can I be denied boarding, for merely asking the agent's name. This is the start of our trip.

The female agent did not call security. Many more people boarded. I was still in a state of shock. I then said "Can I not ask for your name? What did I do wrong that I cannot board". He replied (loudly), "I know what you're doing. You're not boarding tonight. You are being deported" He then yelled at the female agent to call security again. I continue to be shocked, and very worried that I cannot board.

The female agent didn't call security. I was hoping she'd call, and I have a chance to explain that I didn't do anything, and hope I can board. But she didn't call. I asked the male agent, "Can I just go join my wife? She already went on the plane." He still said, "You're not boarding. You wait here"

I grew more worried about not being able to go on our trip. Eventually everyone else boarded. The female agent walked toward the plane. There was only that male agent and I. I pleaded, "Can I just go board the plane, my wife is already in there". He then said in a calmer voice than before, "I am a Priority agent. I worked as a priority agent for 5-6 years. You don't get priority boarding. TD and CIBC keep giving their customers wrong information. You get priority checkin but not priority boarding." He then showed his hand to want to shake my hand. I shook his hand. He said "Happy new year", and motioned for me to go toward the plane.

I'm glad I was able to board the plane. But the male agent (tall and strong) gave me a real shock and scare.

When I got to my seat, my wife was very concerned but relieved I got on the plane.

Oh, the flight was half an hour late, and the entertainment system (video) did not work for my wife and I (seat 12D for my wife and 12F for me) did not work. We saw many others watching movies on their system.

Please investigate this incident. I still didn't know that male agent's name. The female agents name is something like Ihsia. Please let me know/why a gate agent can yell "You're not boarding, you're being deported" just for asking his name.

P.S. I double checked the benefit of the TD aeroplan infinite visa card. It does still give zone 2 boarding. https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ba...infinite-card/
not2017 and sexykitten7 like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 14, 2020 at 5:12 am
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:56 pm

Programs: Kris Flyer, Aeroplan 100K
That just smells.....you were bullied. I would follow through on this in an effort to prevent this from happening to someone else.
lasfloras likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
To get a faster response, you should summarize your complaint into concise points. AC gets tons of customer emails, and I am not sure if someone has the time to go through all of that.

While I understand you were likely frustrated, but after you and your wife (already) moved from BG2 to BG4, why instigate? Was it really necessary to get the GA's name for the simple mistake about boarding groups? No, I don't condone what the GA said to you, but he would not have said anything if you just boarded after your wife.

The IFE issue is unrelated. Do not attempt to connect with the boarding issue perhaps as retaliation. There may well be other nonworking IFEs at other seats not nearby.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are you sure you heard right? If you are a Canadian living in Canada, how could you possibly be deported?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Sorry but OP does not get my vote.

Per this thread:

Priority Boarding

It does not sound like OP's situation is an isolated incident.

I believe OP was supposed to be entitled for BG2. But here is the question - what is the difference between BG2 and BG4? No much really.

The cardinal rule of air travel is, as always, don't confront airline staffs. Yet, OP chose to ask the GA's name, implying a complaint is coming.

Yes - AC may be the worst airline in service. But what OP did, nevertheless, escalated the problem to the extreme. A news flash for OP - if you want to complain someone, you can look at his/her nametag, or simply give the detail of the person. AC knows who were assigned for the flight. So it is not difficult for AC to find out who's who.

In short - OP made a relatively minor issue into something.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Sorry but OP does not get my vote.

Per this thread:

Priority Boarding

It does not sound like OP's situation is an isolated incident.

I believe OP was supposed to be entitled for BG2. But here is the question - what is the difference between BG2 and BG4? No much really.

The cardinal rule of air travel is, as always, don't confront airline staffs. Yet, OP chose to ask the GA's name, implying a complaint is coming.

Yes - AC may be the worst airline in service. But what OP did, nevertheless, escalated the problem to the extreme. A news flash for OP - if you want to complain someone, you can look at his/her nametag, or simply give the detail of the person. AC knows who were assigned for the flight. So it is not difficult for AC to find out who's who.

In short - OP made a relatively minor issue into something.

Asking an agent's name is taking it to the extreme?! Please.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by justforfun
Why sound so surprised? This is not the first thing this has happened.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What are the odds a security letter arrives in the mail?
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
Why sound so surprised? This is not the first thing this has happened.
This is a symptom of a management culture problem at AC.

Why is the employee so scared of management and a customer complaint that he is not willing to share his name? That fear is what is causing this type of customer service interaction. If he felt safe in his position he would have no objection to giving out his name.

If we go back 10-15 years ago we did not have complex zone boarding, It use to be if your in the front cabin or top tier elite board when ever you want. Then board back to front in some grouping that makes sense to the gate agents to reduce congestion and get the aircraft out as quickly as possible. Instead now it is some complex mess of rules where there is a contract between TD and AC that defines when TD credit card customers can board. This is all far to complex for anyone to keep straight.
yscleo, sokolov, polinka and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by justforfun

I guess he hoped the GA would be nervous thinking he might get in trouble.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I just got denied ML access at YYZ about a month ago on an award ticket because 'either your award flight was booked by someone else or you are not a primary cardholder'

Which both are false - but I did not make a scene.

TD and AC really needs to step up their game, I am considering moving to another credit card after my first year ends
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:55 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
What a grouch. I mean the agent. He should have dealt with it politely when refusing. I don't think asking a name of an agent is against the rules. What is AC's rules on this? Can a passenger ask for the name?.
lhrpete, yscleo and not2017 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:40 am

Might want to rethink your life if boarding slightly earlier is this important to you.

And yes, asking for the agent’s name is an obvious threat regarding his job. “Tell me your name so I can try to get you fired because I want to board earlier than my BP says.”
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:51 am

Employees should have their name (or alternate designation) clearly visible, especially indoors. It could be an employee number, or a codename (I don't care if "Doug" is really Doug), but a clear, consistent identification in any case.

They should also state that designation when asked, or hand over a card (as some people are deaf).
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would have asked where he planned to 'deport' me to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.