Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: codfather

Print Wikipost

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: Accor, Hilton, Marriott, Radisson Gold; Aeroplan 35K
I have been trying to scan the passport chip 20+ times, and I cannot get this to work! I am using iPhone 12 mini and the US passport. Just how the hell should I scan this???
This is driving me insane.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by precielous
I have been trying to scan the passport chip 20+ times, and I cannot get this to work! I am using iPhone 12 mini and the US passport. Just how the hell should I scan this???
This is driving me insane.
I just successfully scanned a US passport with my iPhone XR. I had my iPhone "upside down" on the inside of the back cover of the passport, such that the top of the iPhone was about halfway down the passport.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I just successfully scanned a US passport with my iPhone XR. I had my iPhone "upside down" on the inside of the back cover of the passport, such that the top of the iPhone was about halfway down the passport.
like this?

Still stuck at the "Ready to Scan" stage forever, for whatever reason. I know the iPhone 12 mini NFC antenna is located at the top next to the cameras.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by precielous
like this?
Like this:

Old Mar 9, 2023, 5:34 pm

Much appreciated. I tried it with your setup, but it's still stuck at the "Ready to Scan" stage, and eventually says unable to scan.
Guess I will not bother with creating this. They could have had more personal info to their leverage, but guess that's not happening. Their loss!
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:03 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I checked into EVA for my first leg and got BPs for both my EVA flight and the AC flight. But it seems to have messed up something because the app no longer shows my booking and I cannot add it on the app, on iphone and android- keeps coming up with an error. I can still access my booking on the website.
No app means I cannot see the upg and stby list unless someone knows a workaround.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
I checked into EVA for my first leg and got BPs for both my EVA flight and the AC flight. But it seems to have messed up something because the app no longer shows my booking and I cannot add it on the app, on iphone and android- keeps coming up with an error. I can still access my booking on the website.
No app means I cannot see the upg and stby list unless someone knows a workaround.
Go to flight status and search for the flight...
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:28 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Go to flight status and search for the flight...
Perfect, that worked. Thanks again.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
FIN numbers seem to be back.
ChrisA330 and SearsTower like this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 10:32 am
G23

I would actually bring your phone down to about midway down your passport very slowly on a US passport
Old Mar 25, 2023, 1:42 pm

So I'm not sure how much of this is the mobile app, and how much is just the general backend, but I have a CA and US passport, and most of my trips are transborder.

When I fly to Canada, I'm a Canadian citizen.

When I fly to the US, I'm a US citizen.

I can only add one passport in the app. I can only select one country of citizenship in the app.

This makes it very easy for me to check in for flights to Canada, since everything is pre-populated properly.

But if I'm flying to the US, I have to change my country of citizenship on one screen, and then make sure I've switched over to NEXUS as my document on the next.

And that's for a pure transborder flight. On my last trip to AMS, I actually needed to use a passport, and I do not want any airline system thinking I'm Canadian if my final destination is the US.

I think I'm actually better off switching my whole profile to say I'm a US citizen, since all my returns are to the US, but not all my outbounds are to Canada.

But what I'd really like is:
1. Add multiple citizenships
2. Add multiple passports
3. Use that country's passport and citizenship information if it's my destination
4. Have a "default" passport used for all destinations for which I am not a citizen
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:05 pm

Question

When I fly to Canada, I'm a Canadian citizen.

When I fly to the US, I'm a US citizen.
Yes, you are, to border protection folks. But why would you care which citizenship you provide to the airline? What difference would it make?

But if I'm flying to the US, I have to change my country of citizenship on one screen, and then make sure I've switched over to NEXUS as my document on the next.
Once again… why not just keep the Canadian (or US) passport for both directions?

I do not want any airline system thinking I'm Canadian if my final destination is the US.
Why not? Not criticizing, just wondering. AC treats me pretty much the same, regardless of whether I am flying to US or back to Canada on my Canadian passport.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by blue2002
Once again… why not just keep the Canadian (or US) passport for both directions?
At least going to the US, this information is transmitted to CBP, and is required for Global Entry to work. When agents have screwed up my information, GE doesn't work. @expert7700 even had an experience where an agent prematurely offloaded him, and that prevented him from using GE at all, and then he missed his flight.

But I ran into an even worse issue yesterday after checking in with the app.

So basically I can't use my NEXUS card as a check-in document when flying to the US. So I really want support for two passports.
King Chung Huang likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Yes, you are, to border protection folks. But why would you care which citizenship you provide to the airline? What difference would it make?
Those are good questions! I imagine it might matter in case of an exceptional event, like in a plane crash or an unplanned stop in another country.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
In addition to GE and identification issues mentioned above, there are different documentation requirements for foreign nationals. Things like vaccination status, proof of onward travel come to mind. Nationality is an important field in APIS, and if something doesn't add up, it's quite possible for the airline to get a "do not board" response. A valid passport from the destination country basically tells the airline you have the unconditional right of entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.