FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1993153-newly-redesigned-air-canada-mobile-app-fall-2019-a.html)

Bravada04 Dec 19, 2019 6:08 pm

This "newly designed app" is like we went back to the early 80's? Who is in charge of this stuff? Seriously.

Genetk44 Dec 20, 2019 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04 (Post 31858632)
This "newly designed app" is like we went back to the early 80's? Who is in charge of this stuff? Seriously.

Lolol...no it isn’t. No smart phones or ipads or laptops or apps back then. Just handwritten paper tickets, actual hot food on the aircraft with thickly-padded seats.😁

theBeachBoy Dec 20, 2019 7:13 am

Si after a bunch of flights, I absolutely hate the new app.
I only managed once to check-in and have my BP in the App.
I can never see my seat.
I get notifications from flights that were completed already.
Etc.

The app is not intuitive at all, I always search where to find some screen I've seen once and want to get back to.

Seriously AC do you need some testers on your app? I have rarely seen an "upgrade" be such a downgrade from the previous version...

RangerNS Dec 20, 2019 7:33 am

Originally Posted by theBeachBoy (Post 31860050)
Seriously AC do you need some testers on your app? I have rarely seen an "upgrade" be such a downgrade from the previous version...

Every app has full time testers. Some apps have isolated regular end users.

YYC traveler Dec 20, 2019 8:30 am

This morning I received the check-in now email so when to the app to check-in. No go. The flight shows in my "Trips" and in "Flight Status" but no option available to Check-in. So I tried "More ..." and Check-in button, copied in my PNR for the upcoming flight. Still no go, error message indicates they were embarrassed. I would be too.

Used my desktop and the aircanada.com website to check-in without issue and send my boarding pass via SMS to my phone.

theBeachBoy Dec 20, 2019 10:51 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31860122)

Well I don't know their QC routines or if they actually fly but it's seriously bad.

Genetk44 Dec 20, 2019 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31860122)

Well whoever the testers were, they failed...and so do the developers and AC management. This thing is batting 98% average for terrible reviews...and it is pretty awful. Total fail.

jtpc Dec 20, 2019 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by flying chef (Post 31858604)
Does the new app show seat assignments? If yes, where.

It does in a roundabout way (taking you to the AC website instead of showing it to you in the app), but here's where I found mine:

- On your itinerary, tap the square of the date for your flight
- Tap the blue "Change" link
- Scroll down to Passengers, tap the drop down arrow

Sopwith Dec 21, 2019 11:04 am

It has now been at least two, maybe three weeks since the last update. HELLO AC app people! Anyone home? Is anyone paying attention? Has anyone figured out that your app is crap and needs work? HELLO???

painintheuk Dec 21, 2019 11:55 am

Originally Posted by YYC traveler (Post 31860286)
This morning I received the check-in now email so when to the app to check-in. No go. The flight shows in my "Trips" and in "Flight Status" but no option available to Check-in. So I tried "More ..." and Check-in button, copied in my PNR for the upcoming flight. Still no go, error message indicates they were embarrassed. I would be too.

Used my desktop and the aircanada.com website to check-in without issue and send my boarding pass via SMS to my phone.

Interesting. I checked in a few hours ago, but the app keeps giving me the 'Check in is now open - Check in' option. It also says that I'm in Business, even though I'm just in PY for the first leg, but maybe there will be a nice surprise in the morning!

Dr. PITUK

musicmtl Dec 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Android app update!

• Reintroduced the Altitude Digital Card. Access it from the Aeroplan tab.
• Save your NEXUS information to your saved traveler profile, and have it automatically added to your next check-in.
• Resolved an issue which prevented the Check-in button from appearing on Trips.
• Addressed an issue which prevented access to the boarding pass directly from Trips for some customers.
• Improved the reliability of bookings automatically retrieved by Aeroplan.

TechnoTourist Dec 23, 2019 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by musicmtl (Post 31871048)
Android app update!

Is this 5.0.4? I'm still seeing 5.0.3 in Google Play, but the app update date is Dec 20 via laptop instead of Nov 29 on my phone.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0f64395990.png
Laptop above, phone below
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8be208c199.jpg

canadiancow Dec 23, 2019 9:03 pm

Mine is 5.1.2

TechnoTourist Dec 23, 2019 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31871329)
Mine is 5.1.2

A minor rev and a couple patch builds. Maybe they took the time to test and stabilize this release.

canadiancow Dec 23, 2019 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist (Post 31871361)
A minor rev and a couple patch builds. Maybe they took the time to test and stabilize this release.

That makes a huge assumption that they're following Semantic Versioning. They might be, but I don't see much reason to assume that at this point.

But as someone who has done semver for mobile apps, this would suggest to me that they released 5.1.0 to some size of audience, it had issues, they released 5.1.1 to the same audience, it had issues, they released 5.1.2, and it performed well, so they gave it to everyone... or maybe I'm just in the 5% that's getting 5.1.2.

The only thing I noticed immediately (based on the changelog) was the Altitude card and the "use NEXUS for US check-in" option. I can do a proper test of the latter option on Thursday night.