FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1993153-newly-redesigned-air-canada-mobile-app-fall-2019-a.html)

codfather Oct 28, 19 2:38 pm

The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019)
 
Here is the new thread for questions/posts related to the new AC mobile app that is currently in the beta stage of development.

canadiancow Oct 30, 19 2:06 pm

Dear Air Canada,

Please release an updated beta before my 20 flights this weekend. It doesn't need to be perfect, just better. Maybe some login action. Maybe just some general bug fixes. I'll take what I can get.

Sincerely,
Scott

codfather Oct 30, 19 3:01 pm


Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31683226)
Dear Air Canada,

Please release an updated beta before my 20 flights this weekend. It doesn't need to be perfect, just better. Maybe some login action. Maybe just some general bug fixes. I'll take what I can get.

Sincerely,
Scott

And here I was wishing I had access to the new beta!

Evidently, that was a mistake!

canadiancow Oct 30, 19 3:18 pm


Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31683439)
And here I was wishing I had access to the new beta!

Evidently, that was a mistake!

With Mobile+ dead, I think the beta is better than the old app right now. But it's a beta that's missing key features. So I just want a refresh before my flights :)

Bohemian1 Oct 30, 19 3:33 pm

I'm still using both.

The 'new' app has a ways to go yet for it to be my go to for AC bookings.

canadiancow Oct 30, 19 3:43 pm


Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 31683553)
I'm still using both.

The 'new' app has a ways to go yet for it to be my go to for AC bookings.

I find the flight status listing is so useful. It's ALMOST better than TripIt at the moment. But it only has 15 of my 20 flights showing up for this weekend.

ridefar Oct 30, 19 5:42 pm


Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 31683553)
I'm still using both.

The 'new' app has a ways to go yet for it to be my go to for AC bookings.

Really? what do you like? I find the new app so deficient that I can't even bring myself to open it.

canadiancow Oct 30, 19 5:47 pm

These flights are spread over multiple PNRs, but they all show up in chronological order in the flight status tab.

And unlike just having departure times (cough TripIt widget cough), I can actually get a good estimate of my connection time.

At the moment, this screen is more useful for me than TripIt. They both get updated at the same time when there are delays, but this one has more useful information.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...decf977a3f.png

Aside from that, the interface is native, much faster, and much smoother.

Sure, stuff is broken, but that's certainly true in the old app right now.

yyznomad Oct 30, 19 6:37 pm


Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31683949)
These flights are spread over multiple PNRs, but they all show up in chronological order in the flight status tab.

And unlike just having departure times (cough TripIt widget cough), I can actually get a good estimate of my connection time.

At the moment, this screen is more useful for me than TripIt. They both get updated at the same time when there are delays, but this one has more useful information.



Aside from that, the interface is native, much faster, and much smoother.

Sure, stuff is broken, but that's certainly true in the old app right now.

And if you manually cancel a flight, it actually disappears from the list?

You know what would be nice? Unlike the dumb website, it would be great if they had one full list of all your currently booked flights from AP, Flight Wallet, and a la carte bookings... all based on your AP number (of course, those AP rewards booked on someone else's account would need to be manually inputted by the user).

Now that would be something.

canadiancow Oct 30, 19 6:50 pm

Yes, it will disappear if it's cancelled. It will change if it's modified.

It will pull in all bookings based on Aeroplan number before it leaves beta, but I don't know if that's "all" like the old app, or actually all.

SparseFlyer Oct 30, 19 7:18 pm

So now I want to know what will happen when they start protecting you on multiple flights by holding space on the PNR.

Also. What are.you going to do for 6 hours in Nanaimo?............

codfather Oct 30, 19 7:49 pm


Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31683501)
With Mobile+ dead, I think the beta is better than the old app right now. But it's a beta that's missing key features. So I just want a refresh before my flights :)

For sure. I trust that when all is said and done this app will be a major upgrade from the current one. I wish the 80 days would go by sooner!

J.L.C. Oct 30, 19 7:50 pm

Is there a beta for both iOS and Android?

How do you access the beta version?


Is there a trick to having both versions installed on android?

codfather Oct 30, 19 7:52 pm


Originally Posted by J.L.C. (Post 31684295)
Is there a beta for both iOS and Android?

How do you access the beta version?

Yes, a beta does exist, but it is full right now.

AC is not allowing any additional downloads of it, unfortunately.

J.L.C. Oct 30, 19 7:59 pm

I was able to join and will test it this weekend.

Maybe it's how they're making up for moving me from J to PY after boarding last weekend.

Jebby_ca Oct 31, 19 2:26 am

Has a new build of the beta app been released? Iím still using the version that was released a few weeks ago...

FifthBiz Oct 31, 19 5:03 am

Nope. Still on the first version.

codfather Oct 31, 19 1:45 pm


Originally Posted by J.L.C. (Post 31684324)
I was able to join and will test it this weekend.

Maybe it's how they're making up for moving me from J to PY after boarding last weekend.

Interesting! I wonder why it told me the beta was full when I tried to join a few weeks ago...

douglasr Nov 4, 19 8:26 pm

I was cleaning up storage on my Android phone (Pixel 2) and noticed that the new app is using up 3.12GB of storage on my phone; 65MB for the cache and 2.98GB of user data. Yes, I wrote the units correctly: gigabytes. I'm not sure what they are storing but that seems a bit excessive. 😉

codfather Nov 4, 19 8:38 pm


Originally Posted by douglasr (Post 31702034)
I was cleaning up storage on my Android phone (Pixel 2) and noticed that the new app is using up 3.12GB of storage on my phone; 65MB for the cache and 2.98GB of user data. Yes, I will the units correctly: gigabytes. I'm not sure what they are storing but that seems a bit excessive. 😉

Holy moly! I will have to check mine!

If only we knew a software engineer that could explain why this is the case? :D

Paging canadiancow

canadiancow Nov 4, 19 8:48 pm

Mine is using a similar amount. Let me see what I can determine...

I'm also getting flight notifications for flights today, even though I'm not flying today. The same flights I took yesterday.

codfather Nov 4, 19 8:51 pm

The app is only using 82.2 MB of storage space on my iPhone 11 so perhaps this is only a problem with Android devices.

canadiancow Nov 4, 19 8:56 pm


Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31702093)
The app is only using 82.2 MB of storage space on my iPhone 11 so perhaps this is only a problem with Android devices.

Don't confuse "the Android app" with "Android devices".

AC is using 3x more storage on my phone than the next largest app, Snapchat, which has a ton of photos.

douglasr Nov 4, 19 9:05 pm


Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31702060)
Holy moly! I will have to check mine!

If only we knew a software engineer that could explain why this is the case? :D

Paging canadiancow

I'm a software developer too; but based on my experience, though limited with mobile apps and the myriad ways to architect them, I see no reason for this. The old app is only using 156MB and has an online schedule downloaded so it's not that. And I've only got 9 trips loaded into "My Trips" so it can't possibly be that.

WaytoomuchEurope Nov 4, 19 9:08 pm

106 MB on iPhone XR

24left Nov 4, 19 9:11 pm


Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope (Post 31702131)
106 MB on iPhone XR

122.8 on iPhone XS

codfather Nov 4, 19 9:11 pm


Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31702103)
Don't confuse "the Android app" with "Android devices".

AC is using 3x more storage on my phone than the next largest app, Snapchat, which has a ton of photos.

Uh oh...

Apple VS. Android, maybe we should move this thread to TechRadar lol

I should have said app all the same, my mistake.

24left Nov 4, 19 9:13 pm


Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31702135)
Uh oh...

Apple VS. Android, maybe we should move this thread to TechRadar lol

I should have said app all the same, my mistake.

I actually think it's interesting to see the different amounts of space AC's app takes up on a variety of devices.

JustSomeGuy1978 Nov 4, 19 9:21 pm

151 Mb for me. If its user data maybe there is a bunch of saved searches or other peoples data (say you inputted someone elses aeroplan #). Or even due to a lot of flights booked or the past

SparseFlyer Nov 4, 19 9:22 pm

5.1MB on Android VIP

But I literally just reinstalled it.

douglasr Nov 4, 19 9:31 pm

Okay, so we've concluded that it's an Android thing. Or, at least, it's an Android thing for the AC app for me and canadiancow.

And there's no way that this should be a result of anything I've done, searches or otherwise. The results of most of that sort of stuff should be in the cache not the "store forever" user data.

C-FMWQ Nov 6, 19 8:02 pm


Originally Posted by codfather (Post 31687205)
Interesting! I wonder why it told me the beta was full when I tried to join a few weeks ago...

Someone at AC probably decided to stop limiting the number of TestFlight downloads :D (This is actually something you can set for TestFlight apps).

MME2YYZ Nov 6, 19 8:47 pm

I like the part where they pop up in the current app and ask if you want to beta test then when you click the link it tells you they are at capacity :)

recreationaltimetraveller Nov 6, 19 10:36 pm

Looks like they just opened up new iOS slots, was just able to get into the TestFlight beta.

Jebby_ca Nov 7, 19 2:16 pm

FYI, new beta with the ability to log in via Aeroplan.


Beta 4 introduces new features, including:
- Log in with your Aeroplan
- Automatic retrieval of Aeroplan bookings
- Complete your bookings and check-in with your saved passenger details
- Standby and upgrade list
- Quick access to check-in from 'Trips'
- Rouge Player (for Gogo-powered in-flight entertainment systems)
- Bug fixes and performance improvements throughout the entire app

marchelli Nov 7, 19 2:18 pm

I was able to log into aeroplan, but still not altitude card.

Jebby_ca Nov 7, 19 2:20 pm


Originally Posted by marchelli (Post 31712646)
I was able to log into aeroplan, but still not altitude card.

The release notes do not mention anything about being able to retrieve your digital Altitude card...

canadiancow Nov 7, 19 2:29 pm

Does anyone see an update for Android? :(

ridefar Nov 7, 19 2:50 pm


Originally Posted by Jebby_ca (Post 31712641)
FYI, new beta with the ability to log in via Aeroplan.

This is a huge improvement. And it actually seems to work better and much faster than the old app. Found all my flights in a couple seconds, rather than 30+ like the old/current non-beta app takes. This dev team may actually know what they are doing.

Edit: maybe not. It picked up a couple bookings I had on hold but never confirmed from 2 weeks ago. .... And it doesnít display seating or class of service for an upgraded international itinerary.

Bohemian1 Nov 7, 19 3:11 pm

Yeah, way faster sucking down flights for sure.

Will see what check-in looks like in a couple of days.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:54 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.