Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why do people think that contract lounges are the same as MLL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite

I’ve wondered this for a long time, and this morning I am seeing the same thing.... I am in Dublin, and someone is trying to get into the Dublin “The Lounge” T1, and is saying but my credit card gets me AC lounge access with an Aeroplan ticket.

This is not a MLL.

I feel for the agents at lounges like this. I’m sure they have to turn people away (and not just AC people) many many times a day.

How could AC/AE/Banks communicate the true entitlement better to reduce confusion??
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That seems easy. "This isn't an AC lounge".

I've never seen that, but I have had confusing lounge interactions. Mostly related to arrival lounges, where access requirements are not exactly clear.

I don't know how they could make it more clear than "AC MLL". Those don't exist in DUB.

But I know the lounge you're thinking of. It was easy for me, but I was AC*G in LH J. They even slowed me down to ask if I had a guest.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I’ve wondered this for a long time, and this morning I am seeing the same thing.... I am in Dublin, and someone is trying to get into the Dublin “The Lounge” T1, and is saying but my credit card gets me AC lounge access with an Aeroplan ticket.

This is not a MLL.

I feel for the agents at lounges like this. I’m sure they have to turn people away (and not just AC people) many many times a day.

How could AC/AE/Banks communicate the true entitlement better to reduce confusion??

It's not just people with AC/Aeroplan partnered credit cards

From the other thread

Originally Posted by dav662
A friend of mine has Black Elite on Aeroplan but they have not sent him his card and he has over 50k on his aeroplan. Air Canada would not let him use the Lounge neither would they let him board with the Gold members of Star Alliance. Does AC know in their data if an Aeroplan member gets his Black Elite? Also it the black Elite the equal of Star Alliance Gold?
thank you
aircanada.com/aeroplan.com - Experiences/Complaints/Issues

Some people also show up to the MLLs with expired certificates that they receive from the credit cards, still expecting to get in and not understanding why they can't.

There are a few reasons ALL of this happens:

Marketing
The banks use nice large font when advertising one of the benefits of their cards, lounge access. But they really don't make an effort to tell customers the details and restrictions.

Customers
Some don't like to read the fine print in the T&C, other don't understand the fine print.
And perhaps some are just not interested in reading the fine print.

AC Altitude Status/ Aeroplan Status
As we've seen, it is possible that people who are Aeroplan members and/or may have Altitude status, also don't understand lounge access and other benefits.

Any or all of this leads to people showing up at contract lounges, partner lounges and MLLs without the right credentials to enter.
flyquiet and DNAwizard like this.

Last edited by 24left; Aug 12, 2019 at 7:10 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: AC 75K
It could also be that people know the rules, but they'll try and see what they can get away with anyway.
marke190, YYC009 and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The one time I guested someone into a MLL was in YYZ TB. The three desk agents were having a heated discussion with her about why she wasn't getting in. Some rewards flight from a family members account, I don't know.

I'm still annoyed she did not "buy" me a drink in thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by 24left
It's not just people with AC/Aeroplan partnered credit cards

AC Altitude Status/ Aeroplan Status
As we've seen, it is possible that people who are Aeroplan members and/or may have Altitude status, also don't understand lounge access and other benefits.
I'm hoping with the reboot of the AC/Aeroplan/Altitude FF program into whatever it will be called they'll put some effort into branding, clarifying and separating what are true FF benefits and what are retail loyalty benefits.
RatherBeInYOW and flyquiet like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The one time I guested someone into a MLL was in YYZ TB. The three desk agents were having a heated discussion with her about why she wasn't getting in. Some rewards flight from a family members account, I don't know.

I only guest them if they're polite or if the agent works at the airport.

I can't see myself getting involved in a 4-way heated discussion.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I only guest them if they're polite or if the agent works at the airport.

I can't see myself getting involved in a 4-way heated discussion.
It was more "frustrated" than "heated".

Something unusually good must have happened to me that day, its rare I'm in a good mood in the TB lounge.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Funny, I did something similar (at the PPL in YYZ TB, not the MLL) and the recipient of my goodwill stormed off into the lounge before my card was handed back. Not so much as a thank you.

My Entitlement Radar was clearly not functional that day, or blinded by some sort of interference
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ffsim
Funny, I did something similar (at the PPL in YYZ TB, not the MLL) and the recipient of my goodwill stormed off into the lounge before my card was handed back. Not so much as a thank you.

My Entitlement Radar was clearly not functional that day, or blinded by some sort of interference
I've guested in three general types of people:

1. UA BP with UA*G on it, but AC wanted the physical card.
2. Family who had access via a credit card and was going to pay for the spouse
3. An EXTREMELY polite woman who was convinced she should be E35K, but it was not showing up (in fact, she didn't want to be guested, she wanted to sort out her issue)

1 is "I work at the airport"
2 was coming in anyway, I just saved them some money

3 is the one where I'm hesitant, but generally if the pax is even at all argumentative, I don't bother. Only when they're polite/confused/etc.
Dolphin2 and douglasr like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
It could also be that people know the rules, but they'll try and see what they can get away with anyway.
I was stuck behind someone once who was arguing that their paid membership for Alaska’s lounge should get them into the YVR trans-border lounge...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
And I've seen lounge agents reduced to tears by DYKWIA trying to aggressively argue their way in. It makes for a tough job, and they do way better than I could - I'd call security at the first expletive or insult hurled my way.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: IHG Gold

Because some people are dense. I talk to people who have flown somewhere on vacation and I say "Who did you fly with?, and they can't even answer that. If it's a couple they look at each other quizzically and try to answer the question, and this is typically on a flight they took in the previous 30 days. How would people like that be able to differentiate a MLL Lounge from any other when they barely know what airline they have been on?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by mapleg
.....How would people like that be able to differentiate a MLL Lounge from any other when they barely know what airline they have been on?
.....or if they flew First Class on Air Canada.

Originally Posted by mapleg

Because some people are dense..........

I'm not convinced that some people are dense. I see it more like Bambi-flyers. Sure, some might be FOTSGs, but there are plenty of FOTSGs who know what they are doing. Bambi-flyers are just stunned by all of the info they have to absorb or manage. They may not know how to prepare, the may not know how to access info and resources to make their flying easier, less stressful - and that includes access to lounges, MLLs or otherwise.

Looking at AC, they have some excellent pages on things like connecting in YVR, or travelling with kids or medical devices. Those pages and others are very informative.

However, AC's Maple Leaf Lounge section is poor and missing info. I found the operating hours listed didn't even match the hours posted at some MLLs.

The website sux even for those of us who know how to use it and it. Both the website and app are slow, not intuitive, and there are no instructions. @yyznomad and guested some stranded pax into the YQB VIP lounge and spent some time trying to show them how to use the app and they didn't even know you had to register in order to access certain info, or use it more effectively. These people were educated professionals but the path to understand the info was not there.

Earlier this year, I had a couple of soon-to-expire MLL passes so I handed them out to people who were sitting in front of the YVR MLL. When I took one couple in there to make sure the agent let them in, she looked at their BPs, told them they were in Business Class and lounge access was included. They had absolutely no idea.

These people and many others I meet while flying are far from dense. They are just overwhelmed by the things they need to know. Some humans enjoy the challenge of discovery. Others just shut down.
ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
These people and many others I meet while flying are far from dense. They are just overwhelmed by the things they need to know. Some humans enjoy the challenge of discovery. Others just shut down.
I suppose you are more charitable than me, but your examples seem to me of people being dense!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.