Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Black Elite member unable to access lounge or use priority boarding

Old Aug 11, 19, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR, AC, EVA, UL and PAL

A friend of mine has Black Elite on Aeroplan but they have not sent him his card and he has over 50k on his aeroplan. Air Canada would not let him use the Lounge neither would they let him board with the Gold members of Star Alliance. Does AC know in their data if an Aeroplan member gets his Black Elite? Also it the black Elite the equal of Star Alliance Gold?
thank you
Old Aug 11, 19, 9:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by dav662 View Post
A friend of mine has Black Elite on Aeroplan but they have not sent him his card and he has over 50k on his aeroplan. Air Canada would not let him use the Lounge neither would they let him board with the Gold members of Star Alliance. Does AC know in their data if an Aeroplan member gets his Black Elite? Also it the black Elite the equal of Star Alliance Gold?
thank you
Aeroplan status means nothing for Altitude status, and less than nothing for *A status.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
thank you
Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
Aeroplan status means nothing for Altitude status, and less than nothing for *A status.
Correct.

@dav662
This is the Air Canada Altitude Privileges' page. Achieving 50K gets you *G. Does you friend have 50K miles this Aeorplan account, or does he have Altitude 50K status?

https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...ram-privileges
Old Aug 11, 19, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

He has over 50k on his aeroplan account. He does not live in Canada but he travels to canada a lot and he was under the impression that Aeroplan is still the one for Air Canada.
Old Aug 11, 19, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He has over 50k on his aeroplan account. He does not live in Canada but he travels to canada a lot and he was under the impression that Aeroplan is still the one for Air Canada.

To put it simply, Aeroplan is for collecting miles from flying AC or *A partners. It is also where the miles you earn from spending with select credit cards and retail partners gets deposited. It does not give you the AC Altitude status and that is what you need to have benefits such as lounge access.

That is why I attached the AC Altitude chart. If you look at it, you will see at the bottom that AC Altitude 50K status (only earned from flying) is what gets your friend *Gold.

If Iíve not been clear, then perhaps others can explain it again.
Old Aug 11, 19, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
He has over 50k on his aeroplan account.
I guess that makes me a Million Miler

As has been stated, "Black" means nothing for Air Canada. You're confusing Aeroplan status with Air Canada (Altitude) status. The latter is all that matters for flying perks.
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:45 am

Programs: AC Altitude E50K (*G), NEXUS
thank you
The above responses are correct but I'll try to add my 2c. Your friend needs to know that the exact terminology is of the essence to Lounge access, priority (Gold) boarding, etc.

There is no such thing as Black "Elite" on Aeroplan. Aeroplan has Black, Silver, and Diamond status levels. There is no "card" for this.
Aeroplan status is determined by SPENDING in the current year, including airfares, credit card spending on Aeroplan credit cards, and anywhere that has an Aeroplan earning relationship.

NONE of the Aeroplan statuses count for Lounge or boarding privileges.
There are "benefits" including the number of miles a certain redemption award might cost or the wait time on the phone to call to make a redemption booking - I am not sure what, exactly.

"Elite" status comes from Altitude. Aeroplan operates the record-keeping system for Altitude.
All Altitude miles count for Aeroplan, but ONLY flying counts for Altitude.
(I oversimplified: certain non-flying things also count for Altitude such as bonus miles for business fares and buying flight passes. But credit card and related spending doesn't count. And only Star Alliance flying counts for Altitude.)

The levels of Altitude are "Prestige" 25K (P25K Star Alliance Silver); and "Elite" E35K (Star Alliance Silver) and E50K, E75K and "Super Elite" SE100K (Star Alliance Gold.)
You will notice there is no Black and Diamond status listed there. It is unfortunate that Aeroplan used "Silver" as one of their status levels because it is not the same as Star Alliance Silver.

Gold (Altitude) status requires flying at least 50K miles in the calendar year. The Altitude counter resets to zero every year. Our status this year was determined by our total Star Alliance flying in 2018, subject to also meeting the minimum Air Canada spending. The miles you fly in 2019 give you status for March 2020 to February 2021, but if you reach a status level before October, you can start to have the benefits early (in the current year) also.

The BALANCE of Aeroplan miles your friend has is not relevant to status. Those miles are just like a bank account balance. Those 50K Aeroplan miles could have been accumulated from purchases of merchandise over many years or even a lifetime. A person with zero Aeroplan miles in their account can be Super Elite (because he flew 100,000 miles in January and February, but spent all the miles on a vacation in March and April) and a person with 1,000,000 Aeroplan miles can have no status because they earned it all through credit card spending over 20 years.
Aeroplan miles are available to redeem (with payment of the necessary additional fees) as long as they don't expire from having NO earning or spending in a 12 month period.

Your friend can find his Altitude status and how many more miles he needs to fly to get *Gold by logging in and looking on his dashboard.
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/home
Dolphin2, wrp96, canopus27 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much guys. Now I understand it. I think he got confused because Aeroplan used to be with Air Canada and he does not live here and kept his Aeroplan and put all the points he gets from Air Canada on his Aeroplan too and so does his flights on Star Alliance airlines. He is going to see if he can transfer his points on Aeroplan to Altitude or if not then start with Altitude all over again.
Old Aug 12, 19, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you very much guys. Now I understand it. I think he got confused because Aeroplan used to be with Air Canada and he does not live here and kept his Aeroplan and put all the points he gets from Air Canada on his Aeroplan too and so does his flights on Star Alliance airlines. He is going to see if he can transfer his points on Aeroplan to Altitude or if not then start with Altitude all over again.
@dav662

You friend CANNOT transfer points from Aeroplan to Air Canada.

To help your friend understand:
Air Canada once owned Aeroplan as its Frequent Flyer Program. It was sold to another company and recently, Air Canada and some partners bought Aeroplan back.

None of this really has anything to do with your friend, but he needs to understand the relationship between Aeroplan and Air Canada.

Having miles in Aeroplan are not STATUS miles. That is why I posted a simple answer above plus the chart, and why @flyquiet posted a more detailed answer for you and your friend.

He will have to use the points he has with Aeroplan before they expire and the expiry date is visible when he logs in.

If he wants to belong to Air Canada's new program, he can wait until 2020 when all current members will be transferred to the new program (as far as we know), or he can fly Air Canada and partners now and earn status. There is no "joining Altitude". If he has an Aeroplan number, he already is part of Altitude.

Again, it is his STATUS with AC that matters for lounge access.
Old Aug 12, 19, 8:29 am

Programs: AC Altitude E50K (*G), NEXUS
I did not mean to give the impression they are separate. They are not. They are nested, if you will. Altitude exists INSIDE Aeroplan.
Only the actual Star Alliance flying miles in the previous calendar year count toward status (lounge access, priority boarding).
As long as they have not expired, all the miles older than that can still be spent or redeemed (on flights or toasters) but they do not affect status. Your friend can still spend the miles as long as he earns or spends something every year to keep the account open.
No matter how much older flying (before the previous year) or how much non-flying spending in the previous year (Aeroplan Black/Silver/Diamond), you cannot have Altitude Prestige or Elite (Star Alliance Silver or Gold) without the miles in the one qualifying year (and the required Air Canada dollars).
He will NEVER have "status" for lounge purposes or priority boarding unless he gets over 25,000 FLYING miles in the same year. He will NEVER have Star Alliance GOLD status unless he gets over 50,000 FLYING miles in the same year. When the status starts depends on what time of the year those mileages are passed. Sometimes status starts immediately, and other times it starts March 1 of the following year.
I hope that helped to clarify and did not add more confusion.
Old Aug 12, 19, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Note when @flyquiet mentions FLYING miles they mean AQM or Altitude Qualifying Miles. Depending on what type of fare your friend is purchasing, the number of AQM they earn may be more or less than the number of miles actually flown. I'm not sure whether it is deliberate or not but it can be quite confusing trying to figure out how many AQM you earn ahead of time (broadly speaking when flying AC Business Class earns 150% of actual miles flown, Premium Economy 125%, Flex 100%, Standard 25-50% and Basic 0-25%). It is even tougher to figure out for star Alliance partners.

However, once flown you can track the number of AQM that you have earned here (use your aeroplan number and password):
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/login

That site also tells you whatstatus you have and how much more you need to fly/spend to get to the next level.

I am going to suggest that if your friend is living abroad most of the Aeroplan miles they are for flying (unless they are using a Canadian Aeroplan credit card for other purchases), so the amount of AQM probably are not very different from the number of miles on their Aeroplan account.

Do ask them to look at the link I provided above - it should unravel the mystery.
Old Aug 12, 19, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Yes thank you very much. He actually flies a lot on AC but he told me he uses Aeroplan so the points were added to his aeroplan. So I have explained it to him and he is going to call Aeroplan to sort what is options are.
Incidentally what are the benefits Air Canada gives for Star Alliance Silver members?
Old Aug 12, 19, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Yes thank you very much. He actually flies a lot on AC but he told me he uses Aeroplan so the points were added to his aeroplan. So I have explained it to him and he is going to call Aeroplan to sort what is options are.
Incidentally what are the benefits Air Canada gives for Star Alliance Silver members?
No no no no no no no no no no.

His points were added to both.

Spendable miles went to Aeroplan.
Status miles went to Altitude.

*A silver grants... not much. See: https://www.staralliance.com/en/recognition
gcashin and codfather like this.
Old Aug 12, 19, 9:54 am

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry

His points were added to both.

Spendable miles went to Aeroplan.
Status miles went to Altitude.

*A silver grants... not much. See: https://www.staralliance.com/en/recognition

The easiest way for @dav662 Ďs friend to see this is to look at the transaction page of Aeroplanís website; any transaction with a little airplane icon next to it counts towards Air Canada Altitude status. Visiting the transaction page of the Altitude site will show only the transactions with the airplane logo (i.e. flight segments).
Old Aug 12, 19, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
My thoughts exactly.

Search this Thread