Search

Earn Your Wings (EYW) 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
"cowgorithm" (tm)?

I think I missed that day in class.
It's how you use vari-bulls to mooooove data around in order to meat objectives.
douglasr, Yhztraveller and smallmj like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:09 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canopus27
It's how you use vari-bulls to mooooove data around in order to meat objectives.
Sounds like BS to me, but milk it for all that it's worth.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I still think they screwed that up, but since @philelite was "11th", we never pursued it.
And I'm very grateful!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, ALL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by canopus27
The miles flown are essentially irrelevant for EYW. The entire game is built around takeoffs and landings. That means you're generally better off doing a larger number of shorter flights - you can fit more takeoffs and landings into the same number of hours that way.
Agreed. Last year, the key for me was that my normal YXU-YYZ-YOW (+longer to YHZ and YEG) gave a good starting point to leverage up for the badge combinations that were within reach - so, a day of YVR/YYJ/YCD, a day of YQR/YXE/YWG and a bit of YHZ/YYG.
I am actually not sure of the total $$ cost (not sure I want to know), but it feels worth it.
The real cost is time.
biglinguist and canadiancow like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, ALL Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I am holding off on so many bookings right now because of this. Cutting it close on a couple of them. With my luck it will bring me zero benefit in the end.
Yep!
So many bookings to do next week. Going to Heathrow Wednesday.....hopefully it is not too expensive, but glad they give a heads up about the date now!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
GrandBend went 43k miles and 276 airports

damn 276 airports!

276 airports!

two hundred seventy six airports!

that's mind boggling
Stop being a proob (portmanteu of prude and noob).
smallmj likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I wouldn't be surprised if, in the grand scheme of things, the incremental flying from EYW is not as significant as we'd think.

It's entirely possible that the top 40 participants are actively flying extra flights just to participate, while the rest of the leader board is just people that would've flown anyways and, at best, reshuffle their routings & dates for extra miles...
I agree with you. To be honest, I was more using it as a way to see if the agent was at all aware of EYW.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
After what happened with the last YYC MLL agent who didn't know what EYW was (I was told she was no longer working in the MLL), I'm surprised they're not informed.

Or maybe they've just been informed not to have so much attitude in general.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Please note that a few posts discussing the ecological consequences, if any, of participating in EYW have been moved to an existing thread on that topic here so let's please stick to the EYW promotion in this thread.

tcook052
Ac forum mod.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:35 pm
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Couple of questions about EYW as it's the first year I'll be eligible - I have TATL (YFC-YOW-YYZ-TLV) travel booked on Sept 10 and back same route on the 18th. Would this pre booked flight qualify? Where does one register for EYW, in the altitude dashboard?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by ecc
Couple of questions about EYW as it's the first year I'll be eligible - I have TATL (YFC-YOW-YYZ-TLV) travel booked on Sept 10 and back same route on the 18th. Would this pre booked flight qualify? Where does one register for EYW, in the altitude dashboard?
No, it won't qualify.

Registration is on the EYW website.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:57 pm
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, it won't qualify.

Registration is on the EYW website.
Ah, that sucks. Will hit the EYW registration when the site updates then.
Thanks @canadiancow
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
If I make changes to an existing booking after registration will the trip then qualify? Probably not, assuming one needs a PNR registered after the 9th.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
If I make changes to an existing booking after registration will the trip then qualify? Probably not, assuming one needs a PNR registered after the 9th.
No, you're correct.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:05 am

Still working on a new EYW name while I wait and wait and wait for Monday, but I do have a few contenders (which I will share when the time comes).
In spite of the potential amusement and in the spirit of respect of intellectual property, I will not be using a deliberately similar or derivative name, so drunkercargo, canadianc0w (conodioncaw?) are out.
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.