Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Your Wings (EYW) 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by douglasr
If you go to the leaderboard -- https://earnyourwings.aircanada.com/en/leaderboard -- you can see the "distance travelled" for the various participants. And since Economy Basic and Standard fares are excluded, that means all the miles travelled were on Flex or better meaning they earned 100% (or more) AQM for that distance.
GrandBend went 43k miles and 276 airports

damn 276 airports!

276 airports!

two hundred seventy six airports!

that's mind boggling
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
that leaderboard page is very interesting.

canadiancow got 1.065M miles traveling 41 550 traveled miles and 166 airports
the next down earned 1.063M miles traveling "only" 26218 travel miles but 224 airports
the #10 got 1.053M miles but "only" did 29k travel miles and 142 airports.

then next tier is 600k miles with 36k traveled miles and 184 airports

that means the travel miles and airport is only par tof the game, the badges for other stuff counts a lot as #11 won much less with a lot of airports and flying miles.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Wouldn't any participant lose money?

Unless you're hinting that some game it so well that AC gives them money.
Every participant will have to *spend* money. Whether or not that spend is a loss or not, is a much more subjective thing.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by douglasr
If you go to the leaderboard -- https://earnyourwings.aircanada.com/en/leaderboard -- you can see the "distance travelled" for the various participants. And since Economy Basic and Standard fares are excluded, that means all the miles travelled were on Flex or better meaning they earned 100% (or more) AQM for that distance.
Possibly, but you still have to account for “minimum” AQM. I’m sure cow had a number of flights below the 250 mile minimum.

Not sure if distance travelled is actual distance, or AQM?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
that leaderboard page is very interesting.

canadiancow got 1.065M miles traveling 41 550 traveled miles and 166 airports
the next down earned 1.063M miles traveling "only" 26218 travel miles but 224 airports
the #10 got 1.053M miles but "only" did 29k travel miles and 142 airports.

then next tier is 600k miles with 36k traveled miles and 184 airports

that means the travel miles and airport is only par tof the game, the badges for other stuff counts a lot as #11 won much less with a lot of airports and flying miles.
The miles flown are essentially irrelevant for EYW. The entire game is built around takeoffs and landings. That means you're generally better off doing a larger number of shorter flights - you can fit more takeoffs and landings into the same number of hours that way.

Even the number of airports visited isn't a good indicator, as you can easily spend an entire day flying in circles between the same few airports.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:41 am

I wonder if there is a contest with a larger carbon footprint?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by s_yvr
I wonder if there is a contest with a larger carbon footprint?
I think AC runs this competition to try and fill seats on low utilization routes for flights & planes that would otherwise be flying with empty seats.

In other words, those planes are gonna be flying anyway.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:49 am

Still pushing a lot of meat around in the sky!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
A few comments:
​​​​​
1. I earned about 75k AQM from EYW last year. That was due mostly to CO fares earning 215% at the time.
2. The cowgorithm optimizes for time, not cost. A day off work costs about as much my most expensive day flying for EYW, so aside from not booking Y1 flights, there aren't many cost optimizations I do.
douglasr and YYC3722 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:19 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
"cowgorithm" (tm)?

I think I missed that day in class.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Will they change the rules so that the top 10 people each get a million, or will they let cow & bovine tie again and reduce the points for the “top 10”??
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Will they change the rules so that the top 10 people each get a million, or will they let cow & bovine tie again and reduce the points for the “top 10”??
I still think they screwed that up, but since @philelite was "11th", we never pursued it.
chriscol1 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
1. I earned about 75k AQM from EYW last year. That was due mostly to CO fares earning 215% at the time
That makes sense. The leaderboard shows actual miles, not AQM. I bet you received 25% more AQM than miles flown, just from the 250 mile minimum (excluding any other bonuses).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I still think they screwed that up, but since @philelite was "11th", we never pursued it.
You should have contacted DC’s lawyer!! 😀

Are you and bovine going to tie again, or is one of you going to break ranks and earn a secret extra 50 wings to break the tie??
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller

You should have contacted DC’s lawyer!! 😀

Are you and bovine going to tie again, or is one of you going to break ranks and earn a secret extra 50 wings to break the tie??
I can't even say the tie was an accident. I honestly believe they scored it incorrectly.

The intention is obviously not to tie, as we want the extra ~90k miles.
Yhztraveller likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.