Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Earn Your Wings (EYW) ecological consequences

Earn Your Wings (EYW) ecological consequences

Old May 1, 2017, 12:21 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Posts: 2,478
Earn Your Wings (EYW) ecological consequences

delete
pilot007 likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 7:25 pm
skybluesea is offline  
Old May 1, 2017, 12:51 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: YYZ most of the time
Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Posts: 3,921
Originally Posted by skybluesea
had 11 hours today on HKG-YVR, so drafted letter to AC and dropped in the mail this evening criticizing AC for EYW as mockery of corporate social responsibility commitments.

Not sure will make a difference, but having spend a month in Africa this year, dealing with major social and economic challenges, in part driven by climate change, wasteful travel just hurts people and the planet.
Then why won't they let me buy multiple seats on a flight I "NEED" to take so that I don't end up taking flights I don't just to gain status.....
eracerblue likes this.
yyz_atc_qq is offline  
Old May 1, 2017, 8:54 am
  #3  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Posts: 2,478
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 7:25 pm
skybluesea is offline  
Old May 1, 2017, 9:02 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 3,389
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Sorry, but can't follow your argument. But if you're talking about mileage runs, thank you for raising that problem too, which may very well be inconsistent with the AC common carrier license for transportation from A to B.

Although, for MR, no complaint against AirCanada as they can't control this - fully on those travellers who are prepared to burn petroleum unnecessarily for a benefit that can generally be purchased through regular means e.g paying full J that attracts 150% AQM and quickly lead to sufficient AQD.

But ultimately we have with MR and EYW, travellers who are willing to put their own remarkably narrow interest ahead of societal interests - but this will change too, as Canada has adopted CORSIA, which will eventually lead to higher airline costs to deal with rapidly growing and disproportionate environmental impacts.
do you purchase carbon offsets? Or figure that the social good you do offsets the public costs of air travel from a moral perspective?

genuinely curious.
ridefar is offline  
Old May 5, 2017, 12:58 am
  #5  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Posts: 2,478
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 7:26 pm
skybluesea is offline  
Old May 5, 2017, 1:06 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,069
canadiancow is online now  
Old May 5, 2017, 1:08 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ, MNL, WAW
Programs: Marriott Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Posts: 1,978
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Waste of printer ink, stamp, and gas emissions from the Canada Post truck that was used to deliver his piece of mail.
CanRulez is offline  
Old May 5, 2017, 4:14 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 5,132
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Waste of printer ink, stamp, and gas emissions from the Canada Post truck that was used to deliver his piece of mail.
Not to mention the scanner, computer, and electricity used in producing the letter and posting on FT.

Dear AC, please add a Go-Around badge awarded anytime a flight has to hold on approach or departure.

AC isn't adding any more flights for EYW. In 100 flights last year guess how many were overbooked? yep, zero.
canadiancow likes this.
expert7700 is offline  
Old May 5, 2017, 7:11 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,068
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not everyone agrees with EYW program?
acysb87 is offline  
Old May 5, 2017, 9:59 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Posts: 2,652
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Got something of value to add?

Originally Posted by CanRulez
Waste of printer ink, stamp, and gas emissions from the Canada Post truck that was used to deliver his piece of mail.
Originally Posted by expert7700
Not to mention the scanner, computer, and electricity used in producing the letter and posting on FT.
Do you believe that a person who spends time and effort in communicating something with which you disagree is a "waste"? I disagree with the relevance of the comments above, which have entered the realm of the ridiculous instead of presenting a worthwhile rebuttal. Therefore might I suggest you have wasted yours and my time in advancing them?

Originally Posted by expert7700
AC isn't adding any more flights for EYW.
This is true, but is undermined by the argument that one letter wasted Canada Post truck emissions, seeing as the vehicle was delivering mail anyway. Seats occupied by EYW contestants flying for the sale of a game leads to increased demand on routes, resulting in the possibility of added frequencies or the use of larger aircraft, both of which do add significant new amounts of pollution. I doubt of course that EYW contests by themselves will be responsible for an additional route frequency, but they do contribute - which is the point of the letter if I interpret it correctly.

Member skybluesea shares a valid, if predictably unpopular, viewpoint which deserves respect and consideration. I personally think he/she raises a great point. You don't have to like it, but try your best not to demean it.
eracerblue and YXUhomebase like this.
CZAMFlyer is offline  
Old May 5, 2017, 10:09 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ, MNL, WAW
Programs: Marriott Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Posts: 1,978
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Got something of value to add?





Do you believe that a person who spends time and effort in communicating something with which you disagree is a "waste"? I disagree with the relevance of the comments above, which have entered the realm of the ridiculous instead of presenting a worthwhile rebuttal. Therefore might I suggest you have wasted yours and my time in advancing them?



This is true, but is undermined by the argument that one letter wasted Canada Post truck emissions, seeing as the vehicle was delivering mail anyway. Seats occupied by EYW contestants flying for the sale of a game leads to increased demand on routes, resulting in the possibility of added frequencies or the use of larger aircraft, both of which do add significant new amounts of pollution. I doubt of course that EYW contests by themselves will be responsible for an additional route frequency, but they do contribute - which is the point of the letter if I interpret it correctly.

Member skybluesea shares a valid, if predictably unpopular, viewpoint which deserves respect and consideration. I personally think he/she raises a great point. You don't have to like it, but try your best not to demean it.
There is no evidence to suggest that EYW resulted in an additional route frequency or the use of larger aircraft. Quite the contrary in fact.
canadiancow likes this.
CanRulez is offline  
Old May 5, 2017, 10:42 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canada
Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 348
I guess we should also rail against people who do mileage runs, take a connecting flight if there are direct ones (ie. disregard timing and take any airline), and take short-distance flights (YOW-YUL) if a train or bus is also available.
canadiancow likes this.
Rundosrun is offline  
Old May 5, 2017, 11:18 am
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,069
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
I guess we should also rail against people who do mileage runs, take a connecting flight if there are direct ones (ie. disregard timing and take any airline), and take short-distance flights (YOW-YUL) if a train or bus is also available.
Or fly to a meeting when there are perfectly good video call applications available, or travel to do physical work when you could outsource to s local contractor, etc.

To @CZAMFlyer:

Emissions etc. are all valid points, but it really comes across like "my travel is justified because it's for reasons important to me, but yours is a waste because your reasons are not important to me".

EYW fills empty seats. None of the people I talked to bought full Y fares to fly. Sure, there was the occasional full flight, but in all my EYW (at least 200 flights), there has been one call for volunteers, when Jazz had a controllable IRROP (crew never showed up), resulting in a flight being cancelled early in the day.

I could write up a few pages of valid arguments about why 99% of business travel is unnecessary, wasteful, and harmful to the environment. But I don't want to join the RCHHMP.
canadiancow is online now  
Old May 5, 2017, 11:34 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canada
Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 348
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Or fly to a meeting when there are perfectly good video call applications available, or travel to do physical work when you could outsource to s local contractor, etc.

To @CZAMFlyer:

Emissions etc. are all valid points, but it really comes across like "my travel is justified because it's for reasons important to me, but yours is a waste because your reasons are not important to me".

EYW fills empty seats. None of the people I talked to bought full Y fares to fly. Sure, there was the occasional full flight, but in all my EYW (at least 200 flights), there has been one call for volunteers, when Jazz had a controllable IRROP (crew never showed up), resulting in a flight being cancelled early in the day.

I could write up a few pages of valid arguments about why 99% of business travel is unnecessary, wasteful, and harmful to the environment. But I don't want to join the RCHHMP.
This. People could argue that you don't need to take vacations elsewhere if it's a burden on the environment, or visit family and friends, or travel for work for reasons listed above. Seat sales encourage travel, as does competition among airlines on certain routes. I don't assume to know if the above poster spends as much time sending letters on these issues as well, but the complaint is a bit rich.
canadiancow and nancypants like this.

Last edited by tcook052; May 5, 2017 at 11:48 am Reason: snark
Rundosrun is offline  
Old May 5, 2017, 11:49 am
  #15  
Posting Legend, Moderator, Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Programs: HH Silver
Posts: 56,379
Exclamation

Please note that these posts were moved out of the EYW 2017 speculation thread and into their own so as to discuss the different matters in separate places as trying to having one thread serve two purposes winds up benefiting none.

tcook052
AC forum Mod.

Last edited by tcook052; May 5, 2017 at 10:53 pm
tcook052 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.