Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Woman left on Air Canada aircraft after arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman left on Air Canada aircraft after arrival

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by RCyyz
My own $0.02 - I've seen a few comments about the groomers and the FAs in this thread; all fair game IMHO.

But I think ultimate responsibility lies with the Captain followed very closely by the SD. I would think that both of them should have independently taken a quick walk through the cabin prior to calling it a day. It's entirely possible that the crew had a long, hard day and just wanted to get home after one last flight. I get it. But the Captain is responsible for everything that happens on board that plane and in my view, that includes deboarding after the flight. I'm sure the unions will have their own perspective on this, but I do think the Captain and the SD should face some consequences for allowing this to happen.
I put the least blame on the groomers because I've seen very little observable evidence that AC actually has any.
gcashin likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I put the least blame on the groomers because I've seen very little observable evidence that AC actually has any.
n any event thatwould not be part of their job description. Plus, they would likely come in the morning.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by taupo
Would be pretty cool to have been forgotten on the plane.

Try every seat and write a good seat comparison for seat guru.
Check out the galley, see how it all works, what the hidden compartments are.
And of course seat in the Capt's seat and "fly" the plane.
Have an awesome story to tell your friends.
Make light of if with AC and ask for SE 100K as compensation.

So many ways the person could have turned this into a great thing
Instead of cash I would have asked for an unlimited J flight pass for myself and a family member for a specific amount of time in exchange for a NDA / gag order. Say, until I retire....
taupo likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:11 pm
Original Member

This seems about right:
Attached Images  
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
You can think whatever you want. And you can design in your mind your fantasy airlines policies. I'm sure that AC has some policy, which I'm equally sure wasn't followed. With that said, for a domestic flight to a major AC facility, I'm equally sure they take a rather laissez faire attitude towards such routine activities.

The public will likely never know the results of the investigation unless someone sings.
Since the incident involves her, could she not make an FOI request?
​​​​​​
Seems this story is being picked up widely...
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Since the incident involves her, could she not make an FOI request?
​​​​​​
Seems this story is being picked up widely...

pipeda request? Sure.

Code:
▬▬▬▬▬▬ JANE SMITH ▬▬▬▬▬▬ AC 123 ▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ 3:17 UTC ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬. 517 UTC ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Policy ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬ MISS SMITH ▬▬▬▬▬▬.▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
canadiancow, eigenvector and rberk like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...g-legal-action

Woman abandoned on Air Canada plane considering legal action?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:39 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...g-legal-action

Woman abandoned on Air Canada plane considering legal action?
If legal action starts, at least we will know what actually happened. Like, was she drugged up? Who was responsible for checking aircraft? Why pax(I know she called frien)or friend never called anyone.)

Last edited by 5mm; Jun 25, 2019 at 8:53 am
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5mm

If legal action starts, at least we will know what actually happened. Like, was she drugged up? Who was responsible for checking aircraft? Why pax(I know she called frien)or friend never called anyone’s?
They implication already brewing that the passenger was at fault and thus could actually be accused of criminal trespass or held liable for civil action to recoup costs incurred by AC may be why she lawyered up.
This quote in the article would have me concerned that I might need to defend myself against accusations
[Aimer] said it’s possible someone with malicious intent could hide on the plane in this manner...
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:50 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
For me the "malicious intent" comment was more about the serious breach of security that AC caused /enabled, not the actions of the victim.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
For me the "malicious intent" comment was more about the serious breach of security that AC caused /enabled, not the actions of the victim.
I absolutely agree. And I would think that due diligence would have caused AC to carefully inspect this plane for evidence of such intent.
But in a world of legalism, if the victim is accused of even partial liability (was she drunk or on drugs?) she might then have to defend herself against being held responsible for the costs of such inspection, or even any inadvertent damage it may be claimed she had caused in the cockpit.
I'm just giving another reason for hiring a lawyer than the obvious one.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by rickg523; Jun 25, 2019 at 9:29 am
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:33 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by rickg523
I'm just giving another reason for hiring a lawyer than the obvious one.
Agreed.

And as noted up-thread, I would hope both Transport Canada and the relevant operating airport authority would be investigating this breach.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Gabor probably emailed her and told her not to accept the offer of a 15% discount code.
canopus27 and 5mm like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you fell asleep on a bus, would the driver be liable for anything?

If the aircraft had remained parked at a gate with the door open and nothing blocking an egress, would there be a liability issue?

Obviously there's a security issue, but it sounds like this all boils down to "I woke up on a dark airplane", and while I appreciate that can be frightening, I can't really see what damages would be awarded here.

I don't think she's at fault at all, but that doesn't mean a civil suit has any merit.
5mm likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: air miles
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you fell asleep on a bus, would the driver be liable for anything?

If the aircraft had remained parked at a gate with the door open and nothing blocking an egress, would there be a liability issue?

Obviously there's a security issue, but it sounds like this all boils down to "I woke up on a dark airplane", and while I appreciate that can be frightening, I can't really see what damages would be awarded here.

I don't think she's at fault at all, but that doesn't mean a civil suit has any merit.
i think a more apt comparison would be... "i fell asleep on the subway, the train went out of service. I woke up hours later on the Sunday in a dark subway storage yard/building which is a secure area requiring a security card to exit"

Clearly AC messed up but the victim must be a heavy sleeper!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.